VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 11:13:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine Doors In VL  (Read 18996 times)
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 06:54:53 pm »

Ok lets start with a simple package

go to this page and download a program gpsk31
http://www.qsl.net/pg4i/download/

Download the tar.gz and put a copy in your chroot.

the open a terminal and cd to the location.  once there you'll use sbbuilder

like this sbbuilder  --package=gpsk31 --verison=0.5 --user= (your user name)  <hit enter>

This should make a new folder <gpsk31>  click on it you'll see one called 0.5 click on that you'll see one called src clicking on that and there should be a file call gpsk31.SlackBuild (this is your SlackBuild Script)
open it with mouse pad or other editor  your going to scroll down to an area in the file that looks like
Code:
|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
pcb: pcb (utility for creating printed circut boards)
pcb: Pcb is an interactive printed circuit layout system for X-windows.
pcb: Produces very professional output, but does not contain an autorouter
pcb: or something similar. Good documentation and examples included.
pcb:
pcb:
pcb:
pcb: License: GPL
pcb: Authors: danmc, djdelorie, haceaton
pcb: Website: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcb/

#----------------------------------------
BUILDDATE: Wed Feb 18 01:08:55 UTC 2009/code]

Only it will be blank that is it will have $NAME: in each line.. you'll enter a short description of your pack in the line wiht (      )   in this case (a psk31 soundcard modem)
$NAME:  <Long Discription goes here>
$NAME:  <Long Discription > In this case say something like  a psk31 sound card modem based on GTK.

In the line that say License: it should read in this case GPL
in the line that says author : it should be PG4I
and the line that Says Website: you'll enter http://www.qsl.net/pg4i/download/

Then save the file.

let me know when you have this script finished.
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
aulus

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:19 pm »

OK so the author should be the name of the organization that wrote the program if applicable and the website should be where the source can be downloaded. Only question is why is License GPL when the copying file in the source says it's under a GNU license.

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori.
(Fortune smiles upon our first effort.)
----Virgil
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 09:38:36 pm »

there is a new built in shortcut in sbbuilder
sbbuilder --user=Yourname --link=http://www.qsl.net/pg4i/download/gpsk31-0.5.tar.gz
this takes the name and version from the link AND adds the link into the SB script so it will be downloaded when the script is ran.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:55 am »

OK so the author should be the name of the organization that wrote the program if applicable and the website should be where the source can be downloaded. Only question is why is License GPL when the copying file in the source says it's under a GNU license.

To answer your question (Also Thanks Ules for the tip)

GPL is known actually as GNU/GPL we shorten it to just GPL. sometimes you'll find LGPL and a few may also be under BSD

Now if you gotten this far saved the file. You need to copy the gpsk31-0.5-tar.gz file into the src folder.
once that's done your ready to build it. 
In a terminal su to root > then cd to the /gpks31/0.5/src folder in this folder type the following  # sh ./gpsk31.SlackBuild
the script you created should run.  if all goes well and it finishes without any cofigure errors or make errors you'll find a few new files in the /gpks31/0.5 folder you'll have a Slackrequired file a slackdiscription file and a .tlz package the .tlz is the official VL package.  you can install this package by right clickon it and selecting the install pkg prompt. 

If the script runs and you get an error that you need such and such a file.. go to gslapt see if it's available and install it and run the script again.  If that dependency is not available in gslapt you would have to go find it's source code (Google is your friend here) and build that package and install it first.  then re-run the build script for what ever program your building. 

If this all works we will move on.
let me know.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:34:57 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
lm8
Packager

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:44 am »

This is a great thread for people interested in packaging.  Only problem is, don't know if they'll be able to find it unless they're following these posts.  Could some of this be moved to a How To document or maybe add a link to this thread from the 'Packages and Building from Source' thread already in the How To section of the forum?

Also, can't help wondering if I'm the only one doing sneaker net.  Maybe there's an easier way to do it, but for anyone trying to sneaker net sbbuilder onto their machine, here's what I did.  I downloaded the .tlz file and also needed the Template Toolkit for Perl to get it to run.  (Hoping the .tlz file will be updated with the latest additions to sbbuilder soon.)  I downloaded the Template Toolkit in tarball form from the CPAN web site (repository for Perl functions).  To install:
Code:
./configure
perl Makefile.pl
make
make install
Then you can 'installpkg sbbuilder-0.4.11.4-noarch-1vl60.tlz' (or whatever the latest version name of the tlz file is).
If there's an easier way to sneaker net this, would be curious to know.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:31 am »

This is a great thread for people interested in packaging.  Only problem is, don't know if they'll be able to find it unless they're following these posts.  Could some of this be moved to a How To document or maybe add a link to this thread from the 'Packages and Building from Source' thread already in the How To section of the forum?

Also, can't help wondering if I'm the only one doing sneaker net.  Maybe there's an easier way to do it, but for anyone trying to sneaker net sbbuilder onto their machine, here's what I did.  I downloaded the .tlz file and also needed the Template Toolkit for Perl to get it to run.  (Hoping the .tlz file will be updated with the latest additions to sbbuilder soon.)  I downloaded the Template Toolkit in tarball form from the CPAN web site (repository for Perl functions).  To install:
Code:
./configure
perl Makefile.pl
make
make install
Then you can 'installpkg sbbuilder-0.4.11.4-noarch-1vl60.tlz' (or whatever the latest version name of the tlz file is).

Thanks Im8 will post a link in How To: Packaging for VL. may turn this into a how to if it comes out Ok..

cheers ,
dave
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:52:10 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
aulus

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 05:55:13 am »

Ok the only message I got that I was wondering about is the following:

No symbolic links were found, so we won't make an installation script.
You can make your own later in ./install/doinst.sh and rebuild the
package if you like.

Despite this message there were no errors and I was able to install the package and run the program from the menu. Here is the package I created.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:58:35 am by aulus » Logged

----Virgil
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 06:13:44 am »

Ok the only message I got that I was wondering about is the following:

No symbolic links were found, so we won't make an installation script.
You can make your own later in ./install/doinst.sh and rebuild the
package if you like.

Despite this message there were no errors and I was able to install the package and run the program from the menu. Here is the package I created.

Congratulations you've just packaged your first package for VL
Now we will work on Orange. But won't be until later tonight. I'm At work at the moment and won't have access to my packaging machine until after work.

Dave
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:53 am »

Code:
./configure
perl Makefile.pl
make
make install

In 5.9 the easiest way to install TT would be

Code:
cpan Template

Cpan will ask a few questions the first time as a setup wizard, and then will process the package and its dependencies. In VL6 its all installed by default.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58:19 am »

IIRC, I sort of started the trend to use those last 3 description lines in slack-desc (authors, license, website) as I had used that for my template for a while before we had that discussion (ancient history, lol). What I wanted to point out was not my involvement, but rather that we used the full name of the licenses instead of the short version, as in:

Code:
rtorrent: License: GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2, June 1991
rtorrent: Authors: Jari Sundell <jaris@ifi.uio.no>
rtorrent: Website: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08:45 pm »

yeah Smiley
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 12:45:33 pm »

Something I find useful when building packages is a log file. Maybe that function could be added to sbbuilder. Anyhow, what I do at present is this (I tend to make my slackbuilds executable before use anyway):

Code:
./somepackage.Slackbuild 2>&1 | tee build-somepackage.log

Done that way, I have a log of any errors that occur during the build, and can check things like warnings and configure options at leisure when the build is finished. If I do hit an error, it gives me a record of not only where the error hit, but also what was being done just before the error.

paul.

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 01:23:12 pm »

Thanks Paul,
That's a very good Idea Smiley

Dave
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 06:44:56 pm »

Thanks Dave and all - and to aulus for starting this.

will be following closely as I'm learning how to package too.

Keep up the good works!

- Howard

PS might I suggest that the powers that be rename this thread (to say "learning to package") and move it to a place more suitable than under multimedia & games?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:46:50 pm by Windozer » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
aulus

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 06:55:04 pm »

I second the moving the thread and renaming it has extended on my original topic. Also I like the error log idea. Much easier to check for errors then scrolling up in your terminal. Plus in some cases your terminal might cut off part of it.

----Virgil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: