VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 04:07:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine Doors In VL  (Read 20023 times)
aulus

« on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:37 am »

First off let me briefly introduce myself. I have been using linux for several years now and have tried just about all the major distributions. I have been thinking of switching to slackware but the lack of support for dependency resolution always held me back. So now i'm using vector for the first time.

In previous distrobutions I would always install wine doors to help with windows programs in wine. When I first tried to install it in vector I found that the usual dependency program called orange was not installed. Orange is a program that extracts cab files from self extracting installers. After searching for quite some time and trying to convert and install various packages I finally found the orange program and it's libraries in a package that when converted to .tgz would install and function in vector.

I downloaded the packages from debian.org. Here is the link with the search results. http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=orange. I then used the program alien to convert it to a .tgz package. I installed both the dev libraries and the standard libraries but I don't think the dev libraries required.

There was one other dependency not installed called rsvg. This one was easier. A quick google search revealed that the packages gnome-python-desktop and dbus-python that can be installed from gslapt resolved that dependency. With the dependency's now installed I installed wine-doors from the source and it's working. And I must say it runs at least 10 times faster then it ever did on suse or ubuntu.

Oh by the way, I still have the .tgz packages I created to install orange if anyone is interested I could submit them to the user repository or something like that.

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori.
(Fortune smiles upon our first effort.)
----Virgil
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:50:23 am »

Converted packages are not suitable for the repository.  Repository submissions must have a build script.  We'd almost certainly want it built from source. 

If we included packages without source code and build scripts in the repo Vector Linux would no longer be compliant with the GPL.  That's someplace we definitely don't want to go.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
aulus

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:55:39 am »

Ok that makes since. Is there somewhere else I could submit them to help out anyone else trying to get this working?

----Virgil
aulus

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:50 am »

Oh I forgot to include a link to the orange source for those that may want it. Here it is. http://www.ailab.si/orange/downloads.asp.

----Virgil
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:20:41 pm »

There is no place to submit packages that don't meet Vector Linux packaging standards.  If you have your own website you could certainly post a link and nobody would object.

If you would like to see a standards compliant package built you could post in the New Package Requests section of the forum.

I, personally, don't use anything for/from Windows so I have no need for wine or any extensions to wine like this.  We do have a volunteer packager, though, that builds each and every release of wine for the repository.  He might very well be interested and pick up on your request if you post in the New Package Requests section.   That would be the route I'd suggest.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:23:13 pm »

Oh I forgot to include a link to the orange source for those that may want it. Here it is. http://www.ailab.si/orange/downloads.asp.

Hi aulus , I package the VL wine package and will work on one for doors soon. Unless you want to learn how then I'd be glad to help you
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
aulus

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:02:29 pm »

I wouldn't mind learning how. But the source code for the orange dependency looks more confusing then the others because it appears to be plain source code without the extra stuff normally lincluded in linux source packages.

----Virgil
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:12 pm »

You're in for a treat, it's not as hard as it first seems.
Also wanted to say thanks for the effort of trying to make something that could go into the repository (if it met standards of course). There's a lot of things not in there, and instead of just jotting a request into the package section of the forum, you took the initiative and time to at least attempt a package. That's cool.

I'm sure my fellow Mainer will be very good at getting you started on building packages that meet requirements.  Smiley Anytime you need help, just ask.

Thanks for offering help to aulus on packages kc1di
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »

I think Masta misunderstood me but he makes a great point:  If you want to learn how to package for Vector Linux your efforts would be warmly welcomed.  We always need and welcome more volunteer packagers.

Dave, thanks again for offering to help.

aulus

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:58:50 pm »

Well I try to help when ever I can. All the programming I know is self taught and I must say i've only learned php so far but have wanted to learn a little programming for linux but was never sure where to start. Any advice you can offer would be welcome.

----Virgil
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:51:35 am »

Hi again ,

Here is your first assignment.. (Note I'm quite busy at work right now so this may not happen fast but hang in there - Dave)

Please read the following pages Written by Kidd I think:
http://ftp://64.50.238.52/.1/vectorlinux/docs/packaging/index.html

Then make sure you have a clean Partition to package in.  with no nvidia drivers loaded. and minimal number of extra programs or packages installed. make it as clean as possible.

Make a Directory on this partition call it anything you like I call mine packaging. this is where you'll store the packages you are working on.

Let me know when you get that done and your ready to proceed.
Dave Smiley

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:53:57 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
aulus

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 09:34:29 am »

Ok i've read the page and the 2 scripts and I think I understand most of what the scripts are doing. I will likely have some questions once I start building my first package. Also I am at work now so can't setup the clean install yet but will prob use the script to install a chroot path of vl light when I get home.

One question though. These instructions are assuming the source code you download has the standard files like the configure script. What do you do if the program you want to build is like orange and doesn't have those? Is that a whole seperate lesson? Oh also If you like you can send me pm's instead of posting each instruction on the forum. Unless you want all the steps available to everyone.

----Virgil
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:57 am »

Let me know when you are able to partition and are ready.. One tools that's just become available is a little python Script developed by   rbistolfi  & kidd:  it's called sbbuilder and greatly simplifies the making of your SlackBuild Script. so once your partition is up and ready make sure sbbuilder is installed.  The latest version can be found here:  this version is  not in the Repro yet, but adds more functionality than the one that is.

http://drop.io/k3woxwp

I'll explain how to run SlackBuild for non standard builds a little later. 
Will keep going here so others can learn too. unless there is a complaint about that , it may also give other packagers the ability to chime in I make many mistakes still, so their help may be of great value.

Dave
aulus

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 05:47:26 pm »

Ok i'm home and am downloading the light edition image file now. I'll have a chroot folder setup in a few min and will be ready. I do have sb builder installed now.

----Virgil
aulus

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 06:07:46 pm »

Ok my chroot directory is now created and i'm ready for the next step.

----Virgil
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: