VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:11:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 2076 times)
aulus

« on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:39 am »

Hi I recently installed Vector Linux on my Main Computer to replace my previous primary OS of ubuntu. I'm dual booting with windows XP but from what I've seen so far I probably won't be booting to windows very much. I've been using linux as my primary OS for almost a year now and have used linux for several years. I was very impressed with Vector linux when I first installed it. I'm currently using version 6rc4. Other than having to re-setup my network every time I bootup it runs very smooth.

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori.
(Fortune smiles upon our first effort.)
----Virgil
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:20 am »

Welcome to VL aulus ...

Nice to hear you like it

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:06:26 pm »

Welcome aboard!
I'm a former Ubuntu user as well, I think you will find Vector much speedier (if thats a word)
You can add the Gnome desktop through Gslapt if you like that environment.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:20:50 pm »

Welcome to VL hope you enjoy this wonderful Distro.
Think you'll find this forum friendly and informative.
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
aulus

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:47:12 am »

I think i'll stick with xfce. Used to be a kde fan but don't much like kde 4.

----Virgil
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:55 pm »

Hi aulus,

I've been looking at KDE4 too, it seems like it has a lot of features, as in maybe too many Smiley Been sold on xfce for sometime, and am using 'screen' a lot lately.

Right now, I am looking seriously at dropping XMonad on top of xfce as it is *very* powerful, extensible, and could be as super configured as any programmer might want his or her "desktop" to be.  You have to jump through several hoops to get it going, but with some basic install skills, it's not too much trouble to put in place. Here's a blurb the XMonad people wrote about xfce:

Why use Xfce with XMonad?

Whilst XMonad is a truly excellent Window Manager, alone it doesn't offer the full convenience of an entire Desktop Environment, such as the provided menus, all-in-one configuration settings, consistent dialogs, etc. Out of the three main DEs available in Unix-like Operating Systems - Gnome, KDE and Xfce - the latter is often touted as the most "nimble" of the lot. In my own opinion, it is simpler to use than KDE but with more configuration options (and a saner environment) than Gnome.

from http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_XFCE

I'd be interested to hear what you think about this, if you decide to take a look.

ciao,
Howard
~~~~~

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »

I am with you there. Used to like KDE too. I still use 3.x from time to time, but XFCE is growing a bit better and things are just coming along nicely with it. Maybe KDE-4 will soon become as useful for productive use.

Welcome to VL, and I hope that you come to think of it as your home away from home Smiley
aulus

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

I am with you there. Used to like KDE too. I still use 3.x from time to time, but XFCE is growing a bit better and things are just coming along nicely with it. Maybe KDE-4 will soon become as useful for productive use.

Welcome to VL, and I hope that you come to think of it as your home away from home Smiley

Sounds interestings. I think i'll check it out when I get some time. I'll let you know what I think once I get it working.

----Virgil
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: