VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 09:15:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Video Tutorials on VectorLinux. (Independent effort..for the time being.)  (Read 50094 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:41 pm »

At the near the very top left corner of the page you're reading now, click 'visit our home page'
Then scroll down to the bottom and look in the rounded blue box of links, under 'community'

You can also get to it from that same home page via 'community' tab, then 'knowledge center' then 'how-tos'

Indeed - it would seem that the link to the wiki needs to be bubbled up and made more obvious.

Ya think?? Wink

I don't think I saw the word "wiki" anywhere in that convoluted clickfest. There is a lot of very useful stuff there and it will be even more useful with the addition of Ken's videos or links to them. I'd like to see links and buttons to "VectorLinux Wiki and How-To's" placed prominently on the VL home page, the forum, and every other VL page.

One thing that gets a distro favorable notice is good documentation. We're well on our way to ranking among the best. I like the option to download a section as a PDF. Very nice for those topics we'd like to have on hard copy.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:56 pm »

I agree with GrannyGeek's comments.  If anyone talks to Rodrigo (rbistolfi), our webmaster, it would be great to point him to this thread.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »

Granny, how about a folder under seamonkey's address bar like VL Forum an VL IRC Help have, as well.

Also on the community page one link labeled knowledge center does take you to the knowledge center but the other labled Vector Linux Knowledge center is linked to http://vectorlinux.com/wiki seems to be a dead link.

Good point on the value of documentation on the reason people choose a distro. Look at Arch linux, nothing user friendly there but their documentation is always front and center and abundant. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 04:51:44 pm »

This thread is very amuseing..
ya I know better..
cheers

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:20 pm »

The wiki we used to have was owned in the last attack we suffered, some links in the website become dead after that, I reused them for the KnowledgeCenter as it is a wiki actually.
I will find a place for a more obvious link for that. For some reason the issue didnt came up during the site development. There is good links to the Knowledge center in many pages but not in the home page as you noted Sad
The home page has to play many rols and was not an easy job to get them all working, thanks for pointing its weakness, we will work on them. I was expecting that the Links section would clame some attention with its blue background.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:27:55 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:19 pm »

I'd like to see the word "wiki" in the links, or better, "wiki and how-to's." While I agree that many Windows users don't know what a wiki is, most Linux users do. Hence using "wiki and how-to's," which is meaningful to both Linux users and Windows refugees.

One thing I like about our wiki is that there actually is how-to information in it. I've seen too many wikis that have little content beyond telling you how to add things to the wiki. The Scribus wiki, in contrast, is very rich in content but it's not always easy to find what you're looking for.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 06:04:39 pm »

Quote from: GrannyGeek
I don't think I saw the word "wiki" anywhere in that convoluted clickfest. [...]

Grin Grin

It's there: "Vector Linux Wiki"

But between you and me (and I'm almost a Grampy ) --- we might need our magnifiers to see it!

Cheesy

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »

rbistolfi, how difficult would it be to put the two links Granny Geek suggested right at the TOP of the forum page we all see... this would be pretty obvious to new comers.

Like this:

News: Visit our home page for VL info, or our VL Wiki, or, for help, our HOW-TO To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.    

forum1 is where many dead links are --- but that's difficult if N00B's end up there. RE the suggested links above: problem is, there's a knowledge center *and* the forum's how-to's.... seems like a top down menu for all this would be in order.  Another item I've noticed is the links to some install stuff point to VL members personal repositories (or what looks like.)

@GrannyGeek:
you know more windows users are getting 'wikified' because of wikipedia Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:14:53 pm by Windozer » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 08:35:04 pm »

It's there: "Vector Linux Wiki"

But between you and me (and I'm almost a Grampy ) --- we might need our magnifiers to see it!

All the magnifiers in the world wouldn't make it visible to me. The reason is that the links (white) are lost against the white background.

When you said "it's there" I believed you, but despite a very careful inspection I couldn't find it. Then I noticed that there could possibly be more text under "Community - Vector Lnux Forum," so I highlighted it and lo and behold! There are Knowledge Center, IRC Channel, and Vector Linux Wiki. NONE of them are visible because they are white on a white background. They are visible only if I highlight the text.

What are other people seeing? I'm using Opera and my screen resolution is 1280x800 (laptop). I just now tried it on other browsers and in SeaMonkey (which I use sometimes and had set preferences), the text was white on a white background and thus invisible. On Firefox, which I hadn't used since I installed RC4 on this laptop, the text was visible but very tiny. The default settings in browsers are always much too small for my eyes and screen resolution. Once I adjusted Firefox's font settings to suit my eyes, the text disappeared due to white on white background.

I just now went into my home office and tried the vectorlinux.com page on my Celeron desktop with 1280x1024. I've enlarged the font sizes to my preferences in Opera, SeaMonkey, and Firefox. I had the same problem--the white text link is not visible against the whilte background. The monitor on my Athlon 64 desktop is 1600x1200 but that computer is not turned on.

Given that a Web page designer can never know what screen resolution and font settings a reader will have, I think white on white or light or black on dark or anything else that can be messed up when the user's settings don't fit into the designer's expectations should be avoided or at least tested with different resolutions and font sizes.

With Cascading Style Sheets it is possible to have all elements of the page adjust to fit all resolutions without using tables or frames. This has been discussed extensively on www.desktoppublishingforum.com and some of the pages people have produced that do this are awesome. I never design Web pages so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the "how" of doing this with CSS. There is a learning curve but the technique solves the problem of pages basically falling apart when the user's settings don't match what the designer had in mind.
--GrannyGeek

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »

GG: The background should be blue, not sure why you are getting white over white. I am seeing the blue background in opera here.

In general the font sizes are defined as a percentage of the screen size so they are different in each monitor resolution. It is possible that we made a mistake somewhere though. It is a big site with several thousands of css code lines, and we didnt have too much feedback at the development time, it is never late to fix things though.
The css section in that forum is nice but a bit small, a search on font sizes didnt give me too much. Anyway, the principle is easy, use proportional units instead absolute ones. I will gladly take a look at any suggestion re css and styles used in the site.

EDIT: for those interested in CSS I recommend the Firebug extension for Firefox, that allows to inspect the CSS styles applied to any element in any website. You can also edit the values and see changes live.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:07:10 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:06 pm »

I'd like to see the word "wiki" in the links, or better, "wiki and how-to's." While I agree that many Windows users don't know what a wiki is, most Linux users do. Hence using "wiki and how-to's," which is meaningful to both Linux users and Windows refugees.

--GrannyGeek

This makes sense.

I think this thread is starting to become a topic about the wiki though.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 03:48:19 pm »

GG: The background should be blue, not sure why you are getting white over white. I am seeing the blue background in opera here.

In general the font sizes are defined as a percentage of the screen size so they are different in each monitor resolution. It is possible that we made a mistake somewhere though.

The background is blue, but it doesn't adjust so that larger fonts sizes display against the blue background. The text overflows the bottom and is thus white on white.

I'm trying to attach a screen shot through the Attach: option but I don't know if it'll work.
--GrannyGeek

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:11 pm »

Ahhh I understand now. I will work on that, TYVM.

--
Jumalauta!!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »

rbistolfi ,
            It looks like the images may have to scale with fonts as well.  Undecided
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:24 am »

rbistolfi ,
            It looks like the images may have to scale with fonts as well.  Undecided

That will be possible with css3 but there is no background-size property for images yet. There is other solutions though, I will get there asap.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: