VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 06:25:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Video Tutorials on VectorLinux. (Independent effort..for the time being.)  (Read 56375 times)
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2009, 04:39:48 am »

If anyone has noticed that I haven't been producing many tut's this past week or so, it's because I've been producing something else. Well, technically my wife did, but I was there damn it. Grin
Introducing Tayra McKenna Coulton, my daughter.

Congratulations!

Maybe sometime I will post a picture of our son born July 19th.  Grin

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” ~ Albert Einstein
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:39 am »

I just finished successfully installing skype thanks to your tutorial:

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/11.Network-apps/skype/skype-static.htm

Also got the desktop launcher with the skype icon.   Smiley

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” ~ Albert Einstein
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »

Belated congratulations! We're anxiously awaiting the picture.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2009, 09:09:26 pm »

Glad you got Skype working, now you can show off you son, to all the relatives no matter how far away.  Throw a picture up, let's see the little guy.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2010, 12:02:42 pm »

Well after a forum member pointed out VL6.0 just didn't have a good DVD backup software solution in the repositories. I packaged k9copy 1.2.4, the most recent release that does not depend on kde4.X.

Usually, I would just upload this to the repositories.  Instead I've decided to use it as bait, to lure the uninitiated into the world of packaging for Vectorlinux.

I've done the complete build as a tutorial.  The idea is for anyone interested to follow it and create your own .tlz package.  Existing contributors to the repository, please don't submit this package.  At least until, I can get another package building by example tut up to replace this one.

So, here you go.
Package Building by example......k9copy

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:56 am »

And then there were nine...
Here is the idea, follow these tutorials and you will have 9 shiny new pieces of software you can use on your machine.  The added bonus, is you will also have learned how to package for the repository.  Well, at least these nine applications, and ones like them.  Try them out, and in time come back for more.

How to package k9copy DVD backup software for yourself and the Vectorlinux repositories.

How to package KeePassX Data Security app for yourself and the Vectorlinux repositories.

How to build wxGTK 2.8.10 for yourself and the Vectorlinux Repositories.

How to build Audacity 1.3.10 for yourself and the Vectorlinux Repositories. (Do wxGTK before this one.) <- Edit as of Jan 22nd Audacity 1.3.11 is out. The tut works just fine for it.

kdenlive video editing software
These next 5 are a series that ultimately gets you a shiney new Kdenlive video editing software application on your Vectorlinux box.
If anyone wants to persue uploading your completed packages to the repositories for someone else to enjoy, please pm me.

Part 1. Upgrading  and packaging ffmpeg from a 3rd party SlackBuild.
following the above tutorial on ffmpeg has the added benefit of being able to enable some proprietary codecs, something we can't do with the copy uploaded to the repositiory.
Part 2. How to build Openjpg for the Vectorlinux Repositories.
Part 3. How to build frie0r  for the Vectorlinux Repositories.
Part 4. How to build mlt for the Vectorlinux Repositories.
Part 5. How to build kdenlive for the Vectorlinux Repositories.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:49:40 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Charles N

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2011, 07:42:22 am »

Hello,

I was sure enjoying reading the past eight pages on video tutorials (new babies, etc), but they seemed to have died out about a year ago (did they continue on somewhere?). 

Regardless, is there a tutorial on RAID1?  I will forever have burned into my psyche about how important backups are as years ago I had an Osborne cp/m computer with several thousand names and address of my customers.  Well, the hard drive went out, and I ended up "retyping" them all back into another computer - each one further searing the importance of backups.  You may surmise I'm a sitckler for backups.  One of the many ways I backup is RAID 1.  I have two computers with this.  It works good.  Over the years, I've lost at least three hard drives and the computer keeps going (I just replace the bad drive and it automatically rebuilds).   Without this, I'd have to reinstall the system to a new hard drive, reinstall all the programs, and bring back in all the data files.  What a hassle!!!   Maybe there's a tutorial how to set it up in vector linux?  Or, maybe with these newer solid state hard drives, with better reliability, the need for RAID 1 is not as important?  Anyway, just a thought.
Charles N

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2011, 07:48:30 am »

Hello again,

I also wanted to mention how invaluable I find the video (and also wink) tutorials.  Thank you very much.  It reminds me of how I ended up selecting Typo3 content management system for building my website - there were a bunch of videos on how to use it. 

Charles N
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2011, 08:27:42 am »

One of the many ways I backup is RAID 1.
Or, maybe with these newer solid state hard drives, with better reliability

RAID provides data protection via fault tolerance. It is a great setup, but I don't consider it a backup solution. One of the most common causes of data loss is operator error. Deleting or corrupting files on a RAID is just as easy as on a single drive  Wink.  A backup needs to be to a different location, and not real time.

Newer SSDs promise greater performance and reliability than spinning discs, but they are far from perfect. I just had one go bad after about a year. This was an expensive one too. It just failed without warning. Traditional hard drives often give you some indication that they are about to go, with deteriorating performance and/or unusual noise.
Murdock

« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:18 am »

I downloaded 6 gold a couple of months ago and began to play with it...Then I'm like.OK. I need Picasa because everything else is crap.What do i do for music....etc ?

I wouldn't run Vector had I not found Kens tutorials.Now I actually recommend it to people and they are having a blast modifying shortcuts, menu's, icons etc.
The "six months off of the learning curve" should read six years.

Generally speaking, Wiki, to me means DANGER.
I found him on YouTube, which led me to his site.

I messed with Vector years ago and found it to be a PITA.
It still is ! ..........compared to Debian based distros, but the tutorials make you "get it"
Once it's right it's one of the best.
Until the Slack / Vec package repos mature it's still a close #2 in my book.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:37:51 am by Murdock » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »

I downloaded 6 gold a couple of months ago and began to play with it...Then I'm like.OK. I need Picasa because everything else is crap.What do i do for music....etc ?

I wouldn't run Vector had I not found Kens tutorials.Now I actually recommend it to people and they are having a blast modifying shortcuts, menu's, icons etc.
The "six months off of the learning curve" should read six years.

Generally speaking, Wiki, to me means DANGER.
I found him on YouTube, which led me to his site.

I messed with Vector years ago and found it to be a PITA.
It still is ! ..........compared to Debian based distros, but the tutorials make you "get it"
Once it's right it's one of the best.
Until the Slack / Vec package repos mature it's still a close #2 in my book.

I don't understand this post at all. Vl6 includes media players with support for MP3 and other formats right out of the box. No need to go hunting for them or install unofficial repos as you have to do with many other distros, including Ubuntu. Picasa is a Windows program. You can't expect a Linux distro to come with it. Google has a Linux version that is old and no longer maintained, so it's quite far behind the latest Windows version. However--the good news is that Picasa for Windows works quite well under Wine! So what are you complaining about?<g> I've had Picasa on my Linux machines for quite a while. It works better if you first install Picasa for Linux and then install the latest Windows version through Wine. Then you back up parts of the Picasa for Linux stuff in /opt and replace it with a copy of the corresponding stuff from your Picasa for Windows directory. If you want to know more, ask and I'll go into detail.

You make it sound like Vector is *hard* without the video tutorials. I'm second to noone in my appreciation for the tutorials, but I started using VL way before there were video tutorials and never found it head-bangingly difficult. Yeah, in the early years things were more difficult, but this forum was always here to help. Now, both VL and the window managers are vastly improved and much friendlier to users. And note: I do not have technical knowledge about what is going on under the hood and I'm not very interested in acquiring it. I just want to use the system and run my programs effectively.

As I've said here before, packages are created by volunteer users. There is no paid staff turning out packages. So if we want more packages, maybe learn how to create them so everyone can benefit. Some are easy to create, some are not. It seems to me that the major stuff is in the repos, but we all have favorites that aren't there. Right now I'm aching for Inkscape to make it to VL 7 testing. But Inkscape is in the repos for VL6 and I'm sure it'll be available for VL7 soon. We're still in alpha and it's called VL7 Core, so a lot is still not in it. I could install Inkscape from some other Slackware repo or compile it myself, but it has a lot of dependencies and I don't want to tackle that right now. I do have OOo Draw, so I can use that if I need a vector graphics editor.

I dearly love VectorLinux now and have for years. It keeps getting better but it has always been stable and solid--and fast--for me. I've been at it for so long that I can't imagine anything easier to install and use, but I can't put myself into the mindset of the newbie. I do think that for new users the video tutorials make a world of difference. They are wonderful.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »

I've been at it for so long that I can't imagine anything easier to install and use, but I can't put myself into the mindset of the newbie.
Granny, I think you qualified your statement perfectly when you said that.  When I started the tutorials I was still pretty new myself and my memory was fresh with frustrations over many simple things.  Murdock gave a good example mentioning menu entries and desktop files.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/Desk-launcher-system-apps/Desk-launcher-system-apps.htm
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/DeskLauncher-not-system/DeskLauncher-not-system.htm
  For a new user playing an audio cd on some machines required going into the xmms preferences and making changes. As seen here http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/PlayAudioCd/PlayAudioCd.htm

Installing Amarok or another application which pulled kdebase would cause kdm to highjack the gdm loggin manager. The fix was anything but simple for a newbie...
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/Trouble-Shooting/kdm-fix/kdm-fix.htm

So I don't think Murdock misspoke about anything in his statement.  From a newbie perspective these are not intuitive button click fixes, they are easy only when instruction is provided.

Murdock even comes from a Linux background and is not a fresh of the boar Windows user.  So to go back to your last statement...
I've been at it for so long that I can't imagine anything easier to install and use, but I can't put myself into the mindset of the newbie.
Well said, and I think that is what the tutorials do best.  I hope to make a new set for vl7.0.  I better get a move on. Maybe someone is available to help, this go around? Grin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:00:24 am by stretchedthin » Logged

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2011, 02:49:02 pm »

Well said, and I think that is what the tutorials do best.  I hope to make a new set for vl7.0.  I better get a move on. Maybe someone is available to help, this go around? Grin

I've looked on opensourcebistro, and haven't found the "creating an osb tut" tut. It may well be there, just not where I'm looking. Smiley

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

I've looked on opensourcebistro, and haven't found the "creating an osb tut" tut. It may well be there, just not where I'm looking
I'll work on that tut Grin. In the mean time anybody interested just PM me.  Preferably tutorials for VL7.0 standard covering anything that would make a new users transistion easier.  I can set up any volunteers with the needed screenrecording, video editing, and audio editing software.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

So I don't think Murdock misspoke about anything in his statement.  From a newbie perspective these are not intuitive button click fixes, they are easy only when instruction is provided.

I agree that the examples you gave are difficult, and not just for newbies. In fact, I'd have to look up the answers myself. Fortunately, we do have resources for answers for VectorLinux users.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: