VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 04:16:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE does not start from User mode  (Read 979 times)
ilvaiani

« on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:14 am »

Hi everybody. This has occurred to me just now. Logging in as user, and typing the usual startx, this window appeared:

The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:

Temp directory (/tmp) is out of disk space.

KDE is unable to start.

And then (i.e. after the OK), this other:

Could not start Ksmserver.
Check your installation.

So i logged in as root, started the vasm menu and, through the Xwindow manager I think, I managed to let the first window disappear (of course, when I log in as user - for the root mode never gave me any problem in starting KDE). But the second window won't move. Can you fix the matter?

Thanks in advance!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:44:11 am »

Posting the same thing in two places generally doesn't help you get more answers.

Once again, the problem isn't KDE.  It is that you have a full /tmp.  Delete some files from /tmp and your problems will disappear.  No Linux system can run properly with a full /tmp.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
ilvaiani

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:41 am »

I hadn't got any answer when I posted the question the second time. Anyway, I'm not used to forums and I don't know how many times I can post things and the proportion between posting and getting answers. Next time I will behave better. Thanks a lot!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:50:02 pm »

I hadn't got any answer when I posted the question the second time. Anyway, I'm not used to forums and I don't know how many times I can post things and the proportion between posting and getting answers. Next time I will behave better. Thanks a lot!

Usually there are answers fairly quickly, but sometimes you may need to wait a few days. We're all just users helping other users on our own time, so depending on how busy people are and whether someone who knows the answer sees the question, the time it takes to get an answer is unpredictable.

As for posting, pick what seems to be the best section and post there and not in another section. Posting in more than one section can be confusing and makes it harder to get good followup. There is no "proportion between posting and getting answers." Posting in more than one section does NOT mean you'll get more or faster answers.

If you've posted a question and several days (a week or more) go by without an answer, you could post again, mentioning that you already asked this question and didn't get an answer. Or try a different section, but again, post only in one section.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: