VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:26:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Light or Standard  (Read 1308 times)
TheyMostlyWork

« on: February 17, 2009, 12:32:00 pm »

I apologize in advance for a question I am sure has been asked a billion times, but I cannot help myself: Would my installation be faster or more stable if I installed Standard or Light?

The computer in question gets attached to a projector and is used for classroom presentations. After testing dozens of software combinations, I have learned that I absolutely cannot live without OpenOffice 3.0, Seamonkey, and multimedia support sufficient to play most common video files.

Standard comes with Seamonkey and most (all?) of the multimedia support. I would need to add Seamonkey and possibly some of the multimedia support to Light. OpenOffice is an add-on for both.

The computer itself is a Thinkpad 570E with a P3-500 and 320 MB.

I know the long answer is "try both setups and see how it goes," but I thought I would ask my question here anyway just in case there is something more substantially different about Light and Standard than I know of.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:09:48 pm »

Considering the specs of the machine you're describing, I'd suggest the light version.
OOo is an addon like you said.. both will do for most of your every-day multimedia needs.

But Light does seem like a better fit for your hardware.

HTH

Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »

Hi TheyMostlyWork,

I've put light on a P3-450 recently --- it was pretty snappy. So I second M0E's suggestion.

Welcome to the forum, btw

- Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~~~

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
TheyMostlyWork

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:29:24 am »

Thank you, MOE-Lnx and Windozer, for your recommendations and also for your welcome.

I assumed that Light would be better for my hardware, but I wasn't sure if the software dependencies I need to pull down would change the equation. A couple of years ago, when I first considered running OOo on a light WM, I heard that I might as well run KDE anyway because OOo loaded most of its libraries. Now, I see that the OOo package installs as a single file. Has OOo become independent of the KDE libraries?

If you don't mind my asking another basic question about Light and Standard, my limited understanding of Linux suggests that the kernel handles memory management and the cpu queue. If that is correct, and if Light and Standard both use the same kernels, then is the Light version "light" (in terms of cpu and memory use) only because the packages installed by default are light? Or have changes been made also to memory and cpu management in Light as compared to Standard?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »

Main difference between Light and Standard is in how they present your desktop. Light uses a window manager vs. a desktop environment in Standard. In a nutshell, you sacrifice some features and automation in exchange for less resource usage.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:20 pm »

OOo, as packaged for Vector Linux, has no, as in zero, KDE dependencies.

Light uses exactly the same kernel as Standard.  It's the choice of applications that are different.  If you install Standard and then install icewm and use lightweight apps the performance should be the sams as Light.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
TheyMostlyWork

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:49:03 pm »

Thank you, Nightflyer. I installed your beta 2 of version 6 and it is working great.
TheyMostlyWork

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:55:30 pm »

Thanks to you also, Caitlyn. I really appreciate the work you all put into Vector. I purchased the 5.9 SOHO, and I will support the SOHO of version 6 when it is ready. I was proud today to tell my classes that their presentations were delivered courtesy of Vector.
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:17:59 pm »

Quote from: TheyMostlyWork
I was proud today to tell my classes that their presentations were delivered courtesy of Vector.

Very cool TheyMostlyWork, very cool !

Cool

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: