VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 08:55:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Switch to Linux  (Read 17213 times)
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« on: February 19, 2009, 03:35:09 pm »

Alrighty,

I would love to switch my primary laptop to Linux from Windows.  Not that Vista is necessarily bad, but I'm tired of the bloat that hangs up a lot.

However, before I switch, I need to make sure I can do certain things, with virtually no down time.

I need:
  • Microsoft Outlook: complete replacement.  Work has me use the calendar, mail, contacts, etc.
  • Windows Mobile Syncronization: again needed for work.
  • Ipod Touch Syncronization: ok, this one is a bit on the personal side.
  • Microsoft OneNote: again, needs to sync with windows mobile.
  • Ewallet: with phone and ipod touch sync

I think that is everything, I'll keep thinking, but if I get all that, I'm off to a good start.  So, what about it guys, can I make the switch?

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:45:08 pm »

Honestly I dont think you can.
If it is possible it wont be an easy transition, IMO.

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:41:53 pm »

Drats!  That's what I was afraid of. Sad

* Enterprise *
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:19:11 pm »

Microsoft does everything it can to make sure their applications don't play nice with others.  So the answer is no, not to the extent you want.  Outlook for mail can be done.  Calendaring can be done but it's a royal pain.  Mailing lists don't translate well at all.  Other than browsing through contacts pretty much forget about it.  Some of the other apps you list are also seriously problematic.

Equivalent apps?  No problem.  Working with MS apps?  Always a problem.

Vista isn't bad?  That's a joke, right?  I read more frustration from die-hard Windows users about Vista on the net than anything else.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:41:40 pm »

> Microsoft Outlook: complete replacement.  Work has me use the calendar, mail, contacts, etc.

Sty, sorry to say that one item alone sinks it.

As Caitlyn mentions, there are substitutes, but if you have to use Outlook synced to your office's windows servers running Exchange, then you have to use Outlook...

Actually, I'm figuring out how to export outlook contacts for conversion into a mySQL or PostgreSQL database so we can front end it on VL - and drop outlook and exchange  Cool

How about dual booting? Have enough drive space? At least that way, you can have your VL cake, and *almost* eat it too. Grin

- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
GeneralError324

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:31 pm »

I don't know much on the subject of using Virtual Machines, but I'd think that if you ran a copy of Windows in a VM you would be able to run all of your Windows programs natively.  That wouldn't really make you 100% Linux, but at least you'd be able to keep linux for the rest of your stuff.

Or like Windozer suggested, dual boot could be an option too.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »

Doesn't Evolution do all that outlook stuff? Just asking I use mutt for mail client, never used Evolution more than 10 mins.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:29 pm »

So, I used to use MS Outlook and I installed Thunderbird and converted my Outlook data (emails, contacts, etc...) into the standard mail format ("mbox" I think). Then it was easy to import that into any mail client like Evolution, Kmail, etc...

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
GeneralError324

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58:09 pm »

I know Evolution does a lot of the Outlook type stuff, but I've never heard anything about whether it can play nice with Outlook or not, if it will show the calendar to others viewing it and such or if it can accept meetings from others, use voting buttons, etc.

Course even if it was a perfect Outlook stand-in, all those other issues would still need to be knocked down, Apple doesn't play nice with anybody either, especially linux.  Undecided
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »

Quote from: rbistolfi
Doesn't Evolution do all that outlook stuff? Just asking I use mutt for mail client, never used Evolution more than 10 mins.

Yes, but it's not as reliable as I'd like ... here's the link to evolution and exchange:
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/exchange-configure.html.en

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:09:35 pm »

As Caitlyn mentions, there are substitutes, but if you have to use Outlook synced to your office's windows servers running Exchange, then you have to use Outlook...

Not quite true.  A lot can be done with evolution, a mail client whch effectively uses the OWA interface to connect to Exchange.  In addition the OWA (Outlook Web Agent), which is somewhat limited, can be used under Opera very well if Opera reports that it's Internet Explorer.

It's still not 100% so as Howard points out you probably aren't going to be fully satisfied.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:16:31 pm »

Actually we don't use an exchange server.  It's more being able to grab calendar items that are mailed to me, etc.  However, I could even LIVE without this.  I need windows mobile sync though.

Also, sorry about the forum, I saw "VL Solutions" and thought for some reason that it was ways to make VL the solution XD

* Enterprise *
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 05:28:42 am »

Well, VL can't be the solution if it needs to do something that doesn't work in Linux, any distribution of Linux.  Yes, we'd all like to make VL a solution to all sorts of problems.  The issue here really isn't Linux at all, it's Microsoft's strategy to keep everything closed and lock customers in.  My personal response to that strategy is to avoid Windows as much as possible.  I fully understand, though, that sometimes isn't possible when employers insist on Windows.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 01:40:15 pm »

I need windows mobile sync though.
Palms are well supported, as I can attest personally, but for Windows-based PDAs, there is  SynCE (http://www.synce.org), though I cannot say what it's current status is. I seem to remember reading about a newer sync platform a while back, also, but cannot remember the name. Another option is to symply install Linux on the PDA, something I have done a couple of times... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 08:33:55 pm »

Sty, just a wild thought here but you might try using Wine to install Outlook in VL.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: