VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:35:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 FINAL is here!!!  (Read 43980 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: February 21, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »

The final release of VectorLinux 6.0 (code name 'Voyager') is now available. This release is a major milestone in the ten year history of Vectorlinux. With the unbridled enthusiasm of a community gone wild, we have forged our very own stable GUI installer and our repository now hosts over a thousand packages. VectorLinux is the fastest Linux desktop in it's class. We have exceeded our original goals of VectorLinux 6.0 and produced a beautiful, full featured stable desktop for a rocket fueled experience.

The main desktop is based on Xfce-4.4.3 with a custom theme and artwork again unique to VectorLinux. LXDE is installed as a secondary desktop option. Much work has been done on localization and we know users from all over the globe will find VectorLinux a stellar experience.

All the VectorLinux trademarks are included: DVD playback, Audio and Video Codecs, Multimedia and Java plugins are installed and working out of the box. The best of the Open Source world is included: Gimp, Inkscape, Gtkam, Gqview and Xpdf for Graphics; Firefox, Opera, Dillo and Seamonkey for Internet Browsing;  aMsn, Pidgin and Xchat for instant messaging; K3b and our very own vburn for CD burning; Mplayer, XMMS, Xine and VLC for playing most available media formats. The office applications are Gnumeric, Abiword and Scribus.

Wireless networking has been extended with updated drivers and firmware, Wicd has been employed to manage wireless and non wireless networking. Firestarter is included for firewall protection and there is added support for several webcam makes and models.

With all the improvements in installation, usability and hardware Support, we believe this release will finally give Vectorlinux the desktop recognition it deserves.

The Deluxe version, that includes extras like KDE-4.2, E17, OpenOffice, Skype, Realplayer, Playonlinux and Assaultcube for the gamers is available for high speed download or shipping. The Deluxe version has special graphics and themes that make it even more gorgeous than the Standard version. There is also a beautiful set of unique stick on Vector PC badges included with the shipping version. Order a copy today support the work we do and give yourself a delightful computing experience.

A special "Thank You" to the testers that helped during the development phase, especially with the installer and the language translations.

The download links are below:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso.md5.txt

To get the Deluxe version with all the extra goodies and pc badges go here:
http://vectorlinux.com/cd-store

Been a long road my friends but we are finally here.

Cheers,
Vec

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:44:17 pm »

Wonderful!

I even could finally configure my printer. Grin
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:54:07 am »

yahooo!!  Grin

I'll burn this baby once i fix a couple of packages.

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:13:07 am »

hooray......I have been long awaiting this release since last xmas...hahahaha
downloading it now......  Tongue
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:31:22 am »

Thanks much, Vector - and all !
 Cool
- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:47:08 am »

This notice was accidentally omitted from the release announcement:
We have worked very hard to make the GUI installer work on as many systems as possible. However, we know that it (like any gui installer) will not work 100% of the time.
If you have trouble using it on your system, please type "linux" at the cdrom boot prompt to run our traditional installer.
EyesOnly

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:27:49 pm »

Thanks for that uelsk8s! Myself, I prefer the "traditional Slacky" installer. Wink I'm in it for the pain. LOL!

Congrats to Vector, and everyone else involved, plus the entire Community on this---the 10th Anniversary! Woohoo! Smiley And what a perfect way to celebrate it, eh? *dancing*

And here's to the next decade of VectorLinux! Long may our hard drives turn![/b]

Thanks one and all!

Bonne Chance!/Good Luck!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:10 pm »

Sorry to spoil the party, guys, but did anyone manage to get X-server running?

I manully fixed "could not open default font fixed", but couldn't handle "could not open default font cursor".

Running silent, running deep
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:00:58 pm »

I downloaded this last night and installed it this morning. Very nice!

I especially like the addition of Wicd. No more rebooting if wireless does'nt work on startup. Yes there are other ways to restart wireless but not for the other users in my house. This will be really appreciated.

This was my first try using the graphical installer. Only found a couple of display problems ( progress bar and Lilo install option partially obscured. Other than that very nice. Like EyesOnly I perfer the traditional installer but that is probably because of familiarity. For anyone new to Vector this is bound to be a great improvement.

After about four hours of playing around I am very pleased.

Thanks for all of the hard work!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »

Vanger:  No problem at all with X here.  Worked perfectly right out of the virtual box.

I'd suggest you post in the "X Rated" section of the forum and include specs for your video chipset or graphics card.  I'm sure we can get your issue sorted out.  Of course, if the fonts are really missing that would indicate a bad burn or corrupted download.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
PastorEd

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:25:41 pm »

Awww... a new arrival!  Cheesy

Seriously, everyone, congratulations on a great release. I certainly hope everyone is doing well in Vectorland. (Vectorville?) Wink
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:54:53 am »

I just wanted to take a minute to point out something about the graphics.
We have worked especially hard to put higher quality graphics into the Deluxe.
 This does not effect the performance (which I'm sure you will also find better in the Deluxe). We will continue this for future releases. So, if you want a VL that looks even prettier AND performs better than the free version go get your Deluxe today.

Thanks to everyone in the community,  who have worked so hard to help us along the way .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:57:20 am by Masta » Logged
linuxgeek

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:23:40 am »

Forgive me if this is an inappropriate place to ask..

Is there a estimated date for a final version of VL6 Lite?
aulus

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:39:35 am »

Very nice. I'm offering my support to vector by buying the deluxe edition. Something I don't do for many things I can get for free. Vector certainly has a log of potential.

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori.
(Fortune smiles upon our first effort.)
----Virgil
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 09:50:28 am »

Was really surprised that gui installer went without any hitches.  Well done people.

Now, I'm back to trying to get my system to work - it didn't help that I picked up an outdated backup of /etc/hosts.  But we're working through this a step at a time and I'm looking forward to a system that works.  I'm getting some personal help which has shown me things I never even thought of.

I, too, will be purchasing the deluxe version. (Is that blasphemy!  Grin )

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: