VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 06:18:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 FINAL is here!!!  (Read 44187 times)
radio_silence

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 08:04:04 pm »

Hurray for 6.0!

I've been vectoring since 5.8(RIP), and claim no level of proficiency
I recently joined forum after installing 6.0 gold.  I've been lurking a lot before
then, but now have an urge to utilize the community (see below)

I just purchased Deluxe in order to bombard customer support with
questions I didn't want to  dig through on the forum. CS is batting 0 for 3;
they are prompt with responses, but rtfm type answers don't take long...

Can someone instruct me how many kde apps (of the 55 on cd) that I need to
get a kde wm going?

PS sorry to be such a wet blanket, I really admire all of the work and ingenuity that goes into
Vector Linux.  I have a lot of respect for the community.  What it boils down to, is I want to
be part of sticking it to MS, but I'm running out of time to fiddle with Linux.  I've been going at it for three years in my off time and still can't achieve 2/3 of my goals to achieving MS freedom.  I'm near to giving up.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:11:34 pm by radio_silence » Logged

ToshSat330cds_233Mhz_96Mb_4Gb-VLL5.9Final
IBMnetvista_2Ghz_1Gb_30Gb-VL5.9.1/MSxp
ToshSatPro4600_700Mhz_512MB_20Gb-VL5.9.1/MSnt
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:02 pm »

Hurray for 6.0!

I've been vectoring since 5.8(RIP), and claim no level of proficiency
I recently joined forum after installing 6.0 gold.  I've been lurking a lot before
then, but now have an urge to utilize the community (see below)

I just purchased Deluxe in order to bombard customer support with
questions I didn't want to  dig through on the forum. CS is batting 0 for 3;
they are prompt with responses, but rtfm type answers don't take long...

Can someone instruct me how many kde apps (of the 55 on cd) that I need to
get a kde wm going?

PS sorry to be such a wet blanket, I really admire all of the work and ingenuity that goes into
Vector Linux.  I have a lot of respect for the community.  What it boils down to, is I want to
be part of sticking it to MS, but I'm running out of time to fiddle with Linux.  I've been going at it for three years in my off time and still can't achieve 2/3 of my goals to achieving MS freedom.  I'm near to giving up.

for a fully functional KDE4 desktop you need to install all 55 of those packages, and any deps they pull with gslapt/slapt-get
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 12:43:12 am »

What it boils down to, is I want to

If you post the specific problems you are having in the proper, relevant part of the forum you may find that lots of people in the community can help you.  There is a forum section called "Migrating to Vector Linux" that may well fit the bill.

I know lots of people (myself included) who don't use Windows at all and don't feel like they are missing a thing.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
radio_silence

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 11:14:16 am »

thanks Uelsk8s and Caitlyn
I've really been trying to go about this gui only and cd only, (looking to the day when I am stuck on dial-up)
Its not been going too well
Attempt 3 (including stock HS repositories) has netted me a gui login and a notice regarding lack of kstartupconfig4
I'll be following Caitlyn's direction

ToshSat330cds_233Mhz_96Mb_4Gb-VLL5.9Final
IBMnetvista_2Ghz_1Gb_30Gb-VL5.9.1/MSxp
ToshSatPro4600_700Mhz_512MB_20Gb-VL5.9.1/MSnt
amigaman

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 06:13:30 pm »

No, it is most certainly not blasphemy Smiley  I just finished downloading CD 1 and am downloading the extras as I type this. 
Now if the installer works, I'll be happy.  :XD:  It bombs after the Windows drive mounting selection and I click the "full intall" button.    That was the Gold ISO download.  Thankfully all of my data is on another drive.  Cheesy
amo_en.ch

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 01:35:56 am »

Problem with De-Luxe download.

Just paid for VL6 via PayPal. Unfortunately it switched to German when I gave Switzerland as my country.
I couldn't find a download link so I supposed that it would be in the e-mail confirmation. Not so!

I have the e-mail confirmation from Elpern & Associates, Inc. but I can't find a way to get the download link.

Help would be appreciated, thanks
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 06:59:32 am »

Please pm me with your information.

You could also email it to:

support@vector.ecosq.com

In the email please include your email address that you
used for your purchase and your order id.

I will be glad to help get this taken care of.

Bigpaws
amo_en.ch

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 12:59:05 pm »

Time line

morning - download problem (my fault!)
afternoon - find e-mail in inbox with links
evening - download, checksums, burnt & installed

A lot not checked but looking good  Grin

It's not only the distro that works at the speed of light.

Hats off to you guys and thanks
pevsner

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 12:07:37 pm »

Congrats and many thanks all vectorites. What a great distro.
I have been using std gold 6 for a while and its really fast, stable and humdining!
Installed easily and faultlessly. (the only hacks now required are for 5button mouse and gb keyboard in xorg.conf).
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »

Sweet lawdy!  I disappear for six months and Vector 6.0 gets released!  I know I've enjoyed messing around with Win7 (it smacks Vista around worse than Vista smacks XP around) but damn have I been looking forward to this!

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 07:44:39 pm »

Hi BlueMage, nice to see you again. Welcom back Smiley

I am enjoying windows 7 too!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2009, 02:03:53 pm »

installed vector linux 6 final to compaq 1.4ghz with 512 on 80gig all onboard nvidia and also to p3-600 with 256 on 10gig with agp ati ragepro.
initial boot on both did not seem to run the installer...I typed linux and the installer worked flawlessly

I like the new look..some custom icons may help along the way.

.thanks for includeing the dialer in the final

xfce is very clean and refreshing..adding launchers to bar is easy

very nice...THANKS

Everything Is Relative
TheyMostlyWork

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:52 pm »

I'm celebrating: I ordered Deluxe yesterday. I won't get the chance to install and appreciate it until Tuesday or Wednesday, but today I was marveling at how Vector is the only flavor of Linux I support financially. I confess that I distro hop; the grass always looks greener, and all that. But I keep coming back, to SOHO, to Light, and now to Standard, too. I really do not even really know why. Oh, wait a minute. I know: Vector Rocks!

I'll post my first impressions mid-week.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:34 pm »

WOW...all kinds of cool new things i am finding... updates  notification....sub menus on bar launchers..wicd...xfce is getting some use..

cheers

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:01:38 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 08:01:42 am »

I'm a bit late to the VL6.0 party but loving it so far. It seems even snappier than 5.9 - is that possible? Great work team!

One question about the installers. I ran the text and GUI installers side-by-side on identical P3 machines and they took 35 and 60 minutes respectively to do a full install. The file copying stage took much longer under the GUI - has anyone else found that? Other than that the GUI install is nice, especially for new users.

Cheers
Andy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: