VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 06:45:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 FINAL is here!!!  (Read 42986 times)
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 08:20:41 pm »

root does exist

sudo su
<your password>
welcome to root's club Wink

I tried to tell him that but he wanted a root account that he could log in to. Plus the VASM was really missed when he broke the X server
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2009, 03:29:09 am »

I tried to tell him that but he wanted a root account that he could log in to. Plus the VASM was really missed when he broke the X server

I know that feeling! One of the reasons why I settled on VL years ago, was that it has that nifty little "TUI" boot option and the vasm tools that I could use to fix X, and other stuff that I managed to break.  Grin
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:23 am »

Wish that when my kids are older, I will have the same discussions...... That would be nice.

Root is something I actually miss with Pardus. And assigning permission for package manager and network to a user is not a way I like. (Further very happy with it for two years).

Typing this from VL6.0STD and it works great. It's a laptop Acer Aspire 5050, Everything works.
I would have liked to test it with My AA1, but it is stolen.... I doubt between Samsung NC10 or asus eee 1000 HE (Every disadvantage has its advantage, mr Cruijf would say)  Wink

Some questions:
Should there be speed improvements with a 64 bits version? Or only trouble improvements?
I read there is an easy way to localize the system. But what if your language (dutch) is missing. How can I add it? It isn't in GDM, so now xfce is dutch. Sorry. I only need to localize programs like FF (waiting til 3.010 comes out of testing) and Openoffice (installed via Gslapt off course). didn't know gooo is that much faster than standard ooo. Nice extra (shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere in the frontpage? It's definitaly a flavour of VL, to choose for gooo over ooo).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:41:43 am by lighans » Logged

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
TLM

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 10:50:08 pm »

The new Vector 6.0 that comes with the Vector badge and advertises KDE and XFCE; does it come with KDE installed, or do you have to install it off a separate disk? I purchased the 5.91 SOHO some time back, and just love it!! KDE is a must for me. I need the functionality. In short, if it comes with KDE, I will buy it.

Particle board should be outlawed.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 11:39:33 pm »

yeap it does lots of other goodies too................... Grin

cheers,
Vec
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2009, 08:00:24 am »

The new Vector 6.0 that comes with the Vector badge and advertises KDE and XFCE; does it come with KDE installed, or do you have to install it off a separate disk? I purchased the 5.91 SOHO some time back, and just love it!! KDE is a must for me. I need the functionality. In short, if it comes with KDE, I will buy it.

IIRC KDE4 is in the second CD and KDE· can be installed from the repositories. We can help you to install those, its pretty easy.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
ubk6tu55

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »

I'm brand new and don't know much about what you are talking about half the time. How ever I'm trying put Linux on to a Presario CQ50. Somewhere someone stated that he put VL 6.0 on to a CQ50. I would like to dual-boot and would like some kind of reassurance on how to put it on to my hard drive (Already partitioned) and that I can still use Vista should I need to. Help is very much appreciated.
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 03:24:07 am »

I'm brand new and don't know much about what you are talking about half the time. How ever I'm trying put Linux on to a Presario CQ50. Somewhere someone stated that he put VL 6.0 on to a CQ50.

Hello, welcome to Vector Linux.
Ubk, you probably should start a new thread under Portable VL if you are still having problems.

Or you could message Thunderheights from his post on this topic
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7380.0

As for dual booting with Vista, I do it with my Acer notebook. It works well. Just leave Vista on, if your HD is already partitioned then Vector installer will find the partitions and ask where you want to install. Make sure Windows has the first partition. Like Thunderheights, I found VL 6.0 picked up everything quite well. I always use the text-based installer though.

Follow the tutorial at:
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/windualboot/dualbootwin.htm

Bruce
monfen

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:45 pm »

Great Thank You for this incredible and unique operating system!!!
I think I love all your versions, but now the Xfce edition - more than the other ones (my PC likes simplicity).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:50:24 am by monfen » Logged
Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2010, 05:47:54 pm »

I am very impressed with the current VectorLinux 6.0. Even if I am running folding@home with 100% CPU use, the OS stays responsive for web browsing, video playback and word processing. It is clearly the most efficient and fastest Linux distribution that I have used. The only distribution that is even close for speed is Yoper and that one requires much more work to set up flash, video codecs and other essentials. The stability of Vector is excellent under load.
I did hit some initial hiccups with the installation. The CUPS server did not start on reboot and I had to start it manually. Xsane is not working with my scanner but that is not an issue limited to this distribution.
Any software not in the distribution - clamav, klamav, spamassassin - was easily built from source code.
Vector Linux 6.0 is a great OS and continues the progress of the distribution.
Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »

Just as a quick comment, the xsane issues were resolved with uninstalling the xsane, sane-backends and sane-frontends packages and reinstalling from the Sane site source code.

http://www.sane-project.org/source.html

Penguinista
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:16 am »

VL6.0 Deluxe CD Set:

While using GSlapt to install KDE from the Second CD I receive a dependency error asking for MySQL which is not on the Second CD. Where do I find MySQL and why is it missing?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2010, 11:40:06 am »

That should be available from the online mirrors

skaramazoo

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »

Once again many thanks to all the developers who managed to put up such an excellent piece of work.
Would it be possible however to have gcc-4.4.5 instead of the currently distributed gcc-4.2.3 in VectorLinux 6.0?
The reason for this is that I'm having some incompatibility issues with some software.
Thanks very much in advance for any feedback.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: