VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 01:49:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-6.0-STD-GOLD bugs  (Read 25988 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 11:41:12 pm »

KDE5?  That really must be bleeding edge.  You're braver than I am  Grin

My own typo, of course.<g> I meant KDE4 and have modified the message. My eyesight is not what it used to be, which is putting it mildly.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
zaurus

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 12:06:15 am »

I just installed VL6 on my IBM T30 this morning. I had some problems with the graphic driver first, but that was resolved by using the text installer instead of the graphical installer. The card is a ATI Radeon 7500.

Now I still have the problem that the sound is not working. I ran alsaconf again and I didn't see any error. I also checked that the mixer is unmuted and volume to maximum. The onboard sound is reported as Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC97 Audio Controller.

I observe during booting, that 'Starting apm' fails. I don't know if this is related.

Another thread proposed to switch off 'Fast Boot' and 'Power Management' in the BIOS. I tried it, but it didn't help.

Any tips how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks for any help.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 07:07:33 am »

APM will fail on any newer machine.  APM is for legacy hardware.  That's normal and not a bug.

I don't have your audio chipset (mine worked out of the box) but I can tell you that APM isn't the issue.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
zaurus

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 07:14:49 am »

Thanks Caitlyn!

How can I switch off APM then, so that I don't see the error? I looked around in VasmCC but couldn't find a place to disable it. I can enable ACPI, but that changed nothing. I still got the APM fail message.

It's the first time I have issues with Linux on that laptop. Usually IBM Thinkpads are quite Linux friendly.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 07:19:07 am »

How can I switch off APM then, so that I don't see the error? I looked around in VasmCC but couldn't find a place to disable it. I can enable ACPI, but that changed nothing. I still got the APM fail message.

A [FAILED] message tells you that APM isn't starting so there is nothing to switch off.  However, if you don't want it to attempt to start, as root:

chmod 544 /etc/rc.d/rc.apm

As I said, this is not a bug.  A lot of Vector Linux users have older, legacy equipment.  This is on to support them.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 01:31:21 pm »

Is this a bug?

In the last two days two forum posters have asked why KDM is hijacking the login manager.

Yesterday I gave the solution in this thread. http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8733.0
Today, MOE-Inx gave the solution in this thread http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8760.0;topicseen

Shouldn't vxdmset change this setting, either by vasmCC or when called in the terminal?

Has anyone looked into why that does not seem to be working?

Also the line in question seems to be set to KDM by default, so it's no surprise KDM takes over when someone adds something that pulls kdebase as a dependency.

So, what do you think, bug maybe?

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
niiler

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 11:50:16 am »

On the whole, nice job everyone for a great release.

That said, here's my laundry list thus far:
1) Although the GUI installer was wonderful (I was expecting to have to learn how to do an install all over again - but I didn't), the installer went to a grey screen after I selected the host-name for my machine.  I managed to right click and select log out (I think), and the computer rebooted and then finished the configuration.
2) Disk 2's readme tells people to go into Gslapt|Preferences|Sources and then check file:///media/cdrom0/packages/.  This did not seem to work even though the CD was in the drive and mounted.  I then tried file:///mnt/cdrom/packages/ with the same experience.  I ended up browsing the package directories via command line and installing by hand: "installpkg *.tlz" for each of the various directories.  The old-fashioned way seemed to work just fine.
3) After the KDE4 packages were installed, I felt it was a bit old-fashioned to have to CTRL-ALT-F1, login as root, init 2, and then init 5 in order to get kdm to be my default login manager.  It worked just fine, but this may be off-putting to newbies.  I don't seem to recall having to do that for VL5.9.
4) When resetting my hostname via vasm, it just won't seem to stick in KDE4, despite logging out and back in again.  My computer *wants* to be called vector.linux.net despite my best efforts and changing /etc/hosts and so on.  It's not a show stopper at this point, it's just a touch annoying.
5) When launching KDE4 the akonadi server starts and complains that MySQL is not installed.  It may be that using Gslapt instead of installpkg would have dealt with this dependency, but I'm installing from work where there is a VPN, and I had been unable to use the network until I had downloaded and installed openvpn (Slackware 12.1), kvpnc (slacky.it), and vpnc (slacky.it).  I'm about at this point right now (working wireless, yeaaa!)  so I haven't done a retest on akonadi.
6) Everything to this point has been fine, but *my* particular show stopper is the lack of PDF support in Okular.  I am wondering if it was compiled without poppler.  Okular works like a charm on virtually every file type but *.pdf, and I have needed to use Xpdf to open these.  I have personal (not technical) issues with Acroread.  As I have poppler and poppler-data installed, I would imagine that Okular should read pdfs.

On the very pleasantly surprised side, I am THRILLED to not have to mess with the spca/gspca codebase to support the webcams which we use in data collection.  wxCam is wonderful!  Also, I was pleased to not have to mess with any command line parameters to get Audacity to immediately recognize and start to use my microphone.

In spite of the mostly minor issues above, the bottom line is that I find this release to be good-enough that I will upgrading my installations (wife's, media computer, father-in-law, lab's, etc) over the next week or so.  Excellent job!

Cheers,
Tim Niiler
VL user since 3.2  Grin
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 02:25:56 pm »

Hi, Tim,

Long time since I've seen you in the fourm  Grin  Glad you like wxcam.  I built that package to get my webcam working and I was pleasantly surprised when the developers included it on the Standard and Deluxe isos.

Yes, mysql is a dependency, and yes, you do need to get it from the extra repository. 

I haven't played with okular yet.  In the meanwhile we do have evince in the repository which is a bit more powerful/flexible than xpdf.

HTH,
Cait

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 01:54:51 am »

maybe the text installer should be more visible, have it as an option,instead of --linux

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:48 am »

Two more issues, at least here.

When I start two instances of gksu, I get a lot of fast fllickering, as if the two windows are alternating.
Typing the password is almost impossible. Anyone noticed this?

And (minor thing), lots of icons missing in Thunar custom actions.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:21 pm »

Hi
The volume control does not seem to control anything...is this a bug or does it control something <i have not used yet...mouse wheel moves the control up and down but xine and xmms require the pcm volume to be adjusted via mixer or program control
cheers

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 01:34:54 pm »

The volume control issue depends on the driver for your audio chipset.  It mostly works as it should but some drivers do not support it properly.  This is a general Linux issue, not a Vector Linux bug, meaning I've seen the same behavior in multiple distros.

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 01:44:14 pm »

In XFCE if you right click on the speaker -> properties you can then select what the volume control adjusts from the wannabe Master menu. Or at least I can.

Chris
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 01:02:46 am »

thanks
took a minute to sink in there sparkyhall...appears the headphone control in the mixer is acting as master volume so I just changed from master to headphone and the wheel now controls the master volume...
cheers

Everything Is Relative
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 05:09:09 pm »

Repo problems.

When attempting an update, there is an unmet dependency listed against xorg - a dbus version that is not in the repos. Also, one of the updates is listed as a new build of freetype, which returns an error when trying to download the package.

paul.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: