VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 07:19:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-6.0-STD-GOLD bugs  (Read 26621 times)
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« on: February 22, 2009, 02:02:42 pm »

GUI installer crashed when I checked out WICD in network configuration (right after creating root/importing users).

Running silent, running deep
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:30:05 pm »

Ran into fatal X error - "could not open default font fixed" with nVidia 8600GT on nVidia 4-4x/6100 chipset.

Am I the only one?

Oh, only OTF and TTF in /usr/share/fonts. And TTF dir doesn't even initialise...

Installing font-misc-misc, creating fonts.alias...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:32:50 pm by Vanger » Logged

Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:05:23 pm »

Decided to make this machine run as a headless CUDA devstation.

But when I switched default runlevel to 2, I found that rc.inet doesn't work on this runlevel. Strange.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »

It really sounds like you have an incomplete installation.  I'd do it over, working with the old text based installer instead.  I've had no problems with wicd or video.  Of course my install didn't crash which is where I believe your problems started. 

I should point out that my graphics are Intel in one machine and Trident in another so you could be experiencing someting NVidia-specific. 

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:19 am »

for those of you getting the "missing 'fixed' font " error and X crashing, the following line may help

Code:
for i in $(ls /var/log/scripts | grep font); do sh $i; done
just execute that as root in a terminal... visit init 2 and then go back to init 4

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:23:58 am »

Made a GUI installation. Yes, very nice, all run smooth. Dutifully entered
my root password then my user name & password, rebooted and could
not login, neither as root nor as user.
Unknown identities.

Back to text install and root/user have no problems.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:31:41 pm »

More installer problems to report:

1. Before opening screen on my Sylvania netboot, error: Unidentified video mode number: 317
    Selecting mode 9 (800x600) from list does work to get me to the opening screen.
2. GUI Installer incorrectly reports that CD is VL 6.0 rc4 instead of final
3. No readable display in GUI installer' at 1024x600. 
4. Works at 800x600 but things are cut off.  I can't see parts of it.
5. Installing lilo with other Linux partitions in place doesn't work.  It errors out because it can't find /boot/tamu/initrd  Well, of course not!  The initrd is on the partition where the other distro lives (in this case Ubuntu) and it has to be copied over.  I ended up not installing lilo at all to get past this point.  Ubuntu was identified as Debian rather than Ubuntu.  Clonezilla Live (my recovery partition) wasn't recognized at all.
6. Back to being stuck with the default hostname Sad
7. No ability to choose between HAL and VL-Hot unlike text installer.  Has to be done after install in vasm.
8. Text installer doesn't recognize Ubuntu or Clonezilla Live either.

#5 has come up in the forum for other users as well.

UPDATE:  #2 is crossed off because it really was rc4 Sad  Redid the install with the real final image.  All the rest still applied.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:44:30 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

tbrown

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:00 pm »

1. gdm, Firefox 2.4 and OpenOffice 2.4 are bound together somehow. Installing OpenOffice re-installs gdm and downgrades Firefox to version 2.4.x. Removing Firefox also removes gdm and OpenOffice.

I downloaded VL-6.0-STD-GOLD and confirmed the md5sum. When I burned the ISO, k3b checked the md5sum again. I installed VL-6.0-STD-GOLD from the CD then instructed slapt-get to install OpenOffice from the official repository (http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/gsb-2.22/packages/ooo/). Slapt-get reported gdm and Firefox would also be installed. I had not asked for those two packages, just OpenOffice.

After the OpenOffice package installation completed, Firefox had been downgraded from version 3.x to 2.4.x. Although the menu and taskbar launchers loaded Firefox 2.4. When I removed Firefox 2.4 in order to re-install Firefox 3.x, slapt-get also removed gdm and OpenOffice.

Without gdm, xdm handled the next login. However, xdm was not properly configured and didn't recognize my username/passwd. I could not login. There was no text login option, and Alt-F2/F3/F4/etc didn't produce a new console. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace simply brought xdm up again. Xdm blocked Ctrl-Alt-Delete so I had to reboot the machine manually.

I wiped the partitions and started over with a fresh VL-6.0-STD-GOLD install. After the second install, I retraced my steps and replicated the problem.

Tom
Free Geek Michiana
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:48:52 pm »

There is a serious typo in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.lxde. The last line
exec /usr/bin/slartlxde

should be
exec /usr/bin/startlxde .
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »

1. gdm, Firefox 2.4 and OpenOffice 2.4 are bound together somehow. Installing OpenOffice re-installs gdm and downgrades Firefox to version 2.4.x. Removing Firefox also removes gdm and OpenOffice.

You're grabbing packages from the gsb repository and that is causing your problem.  Those packages are only there to solve some dependencies and to allow a uniform installation of GNOME.

I downloaded VL-6.0-STD-GOLD and confirmed the md5sum. When I burned the ISO, k3b checked the md5sum again. I installed VL-6.0-STD-GOLD from the CD then instructed slapt-get to install OpenOffice from the official repository (http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/gsb-2.22/packages/ooo/). Slapt-get reported gdm and Firefox would also be installed. I had not asked for those two packages, just OpenOffice.

Yeah, gsb has all sorts of wacky dependencies.  gdm is part of the core Vector Linux install and should be there.  The gsb OpenOffice package has been superceded by the OpenOffice 3.0 package in the extra repository.  That is the one you should be installing.  It will not have any of the dependency issues you describe.

We really ought to consider pulling the OOO 2.4 package from the repository entirely.   Avoid gsb packages and you won't have any problems. 

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:44 am »

When I run vlsmbmnt in the terminal I get an error immediately.
Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

Tried setting /etc/Hosts to
127.0.0.1       mylocalhost.mylocaldomain localhost
but no joy.
Help I need to connect to my mythtv shares from upstairs.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:41:05 am »

Unlike VL 5.9 samba is not started by default in VL 6.0.  (Many VL users don't use Windows.)  Go into the Services section of vasm or vasmCC and enabled samba in the runlevel you are using (most likely 4 or 5) and try again.

tbrown

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 05:38:50 am »

You're grabbing packages from the gsb repository and that is causing your problem.  Those packages are only there to solve some dependencies and to allow a uniform installation of GNOME.

Yeah, gsb has all sorts of wacky dependencies.  gdm is part of the core Vector Linux install and should be there.  The gsb OpenOffice package has been superceded by the OpenOffice 3.0 package in the extra repository.  That is the one you should be installing.  It will not have any of the dependency issues you describe.

We really ought to consider pulling the OOO 2.4 package from the repository entirely.   Avoid gsb packages and you won't have any problems. 

I understand the primary purpose of the gsb folder. Others might not, so thanks for the background info.

I am not installing packages from gsb-2.22, slapt-get is. /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc, out of the box, sources the gsb-2.22 tree. Slapt-get pulls in gdm, Firefox and OpenOffice from the gsb folder, rather than the correct folders, and destabilizes my system.

WORKINGDIR=/home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages
    EXCLUDE=kernel,kernel-ide,kernel-source,kernel-headers,kernel-modules
    #DISABLED=file:///mnt/cdrom/packages/
    SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/
    SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/extra/
    SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/patches/:OFFICIAL
    #DISABLED=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/testing/
    SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/gsb-2.22/

If I re-install VL-6.0-STD-GOLD and comment out the line sourcing gsb-2.22 before using slapt-get to maintain my system, will I resolve one problem only to introduce a different set of problems? If I must retain the gsb source to resolve some dependencies, how and when do I work around its deficiencies?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:42:20 am »

you do not HAVE to keep the sgb source to get dependancies.
I suggest you comment that gsb line out all together... you'll be just fine without it.

tbrown

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:40:54 am »

you do not HAVE to keep the sgb source to get dependancies.
I suggest you comment that gsb line out all together... you'll be just fine without it.

I re-installed VL-6.0-STD-GOLD, commented out the gsb line in slapt-getrc and updated slapt-get. I upgraded the system with no problems. The default Firefox is 3.x as expected. OpenOffice.org 3.x installed as expected without bindings to gdm and Firefox this time.

However, GnuCash required a file in the gsb folder (gtkhtml >= 3.18.1-i586-1gsb). I uncommented the gsb line in slapt-getrc, updated the slapt-get caches and installed GnuCash. Slapt-get downloaded and installed only two files, gtkhtml and gnucash. I commented out the gsb line again.

Commenting out the gsb line protects users but leaves them with fewer package options.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: