VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 10:24:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-6.0-STD-GOLD bugs  (Read 27501 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:52 am »

When I run vlsmbmnt in the terminal I get an error immediately.
Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

Unlike VL 5.9 samba is not started by default in VL 6.0.  (Many VL users don't use Windows.)  Go into the Services section of vasm or vasmCC and enabled samba in the runlevel you are using (most likely 4 or 5) and try again.

I have started samba in runlevel 4 and 5. I still get the same error.  When I google the error it seems to mean that the program you are trying to launch doesn't have the authorization to connect to your current X session.  I have tried modifying lines in etc/hosts and etc/network/interfaces, but to no avail.
I've tried comparing what is different between VL6.0 Gold and VL6.0 light Beta2 (where everything works just fine.) but can't anything to make vlsmbmnt in VL6.0 Gold work for me.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:48:19 am »

Try running as user:

Code:
xhost +local:

And then try again as root vlsmbmnt

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:12:47 pm »

1. Before opening screen on my Sylvania netboot, error: Unidentified video mode number: 317
    Selecting mode 9 (800x600) from list does work to get me to the opening screen.
3. No readable display in GUI installer' at 1024x600.
4. Works at 800x600 but things are cut off.  I can't see parts of it.

Confirm all three points on the aspire one.
I saw this in rc 4.6 (I think) and ended up not reporting the problem on time before final... Silly me.
VL6 is so good on netbooks, that it is a shame that people might be put off by this...
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »

I also cannot get cups configuration going.
This has been reported before, so maybe I'm missing something.

I get "not found" on the browser. Typing "localhost:631/admin" gives me the cups configuration page, but things are badly formatted.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 01:15:06 pm »

Cannot start firestarter either.
Gives me a "working configuration file not found" or something to this effect...
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:04:48 pm »

Try running as user:

Code:
xhost +local:

And then try again as root vlsmbmnt

Thanks rbistolfi:
But, no still couldn't get it to connect. Maybe I'll start a different thread on this tomorrow or the next day. Still not sure if it's a real bug, there doesn't seem to be anyone else having trouble but me. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 04:41:04 pm »

I get "not found" on the browser. Typing "localhost:631/admin" gives me the cups configuration page, but things are badly formatted.

The graphics are missing. I had that in VL5.9 on my laptop, too. Someone posted a line for /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that was supposed to fix this, but it didn't work for me.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »

I installed several KDE packages mostly from the Deluxe CD using GSlapt. YIKES!!! Several things broke.

The worst of the problems is that K3b is not working. It wouldn't start from a terminal and complained about a bunch of missing symlinks, which I tried to fix manually, but now I get a segmentation fault when I try to start K3B. I used removepkg to uninstall K3B and reinstalled it with GSlapt, but it's still not working and I still get the segmentation fault. I need K3B!

Just now I tried to start K3B on my laptop, where I did not install anything from KDE 4.2. K3B wouldn't start and gave this message at a terminal prompt:
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libdvdread.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think I upgraded libdvdread yesterday. K3B does start on my Celeron desktop, where KDE 4.2 is not installed. However, there are many error messages when K3B starts on that computer.

I tried to install Amarok 3.whatever with GSlapt, but it didn't work and complained about missing kde libraries when I tried to start it from a terminal prompt. I noticed that several things from KDE4.2 were being installed from the CD, so I tried to install Amarok 4.whatever (although I didn't want Amarok 4 because I've heard a lot of complaints about it). Amarok didn't work after this, either. I like Amarok better than other media players but it's dead in the water right now.

I can't find the KDE control center where you can set the size of fonts for KDE programs The fonts are currently too small and are very hard to see. What package contains the applet that lets me set fonts in KDE?

I have the same problem for Gnome-based programs. Again, where can I set the font size for Gnome programs?

All in all, putting in all those KDE 4.2 files has proven to be a disaster. How can I fix this?
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:21 pm »

It sounds like you upgraded from KDE 3 to KDE 4.  k3b has not been ported to KDE 4 but it will work if you install kdelibs from KDE 3 side by side with KDE 4.  Amarok is probably about the same.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 06:20:23 pm »

It sounds like you upgraded from KDE 3 to KDE 4.  k3b has not been ported to KDE 4 but it will work if you install kdelibs from KDE 3 side by side with KDE 4.  Amarok is probably about the same.

How do I make sure the kdelibs from KDE3 install side by side with KDE 4? I don't think that will fix Amarok because I installed Amarok 2, which I think uses KDE4 libs.  What about K3B on my laptop that won't start because of a missing libdvdread.so.3?

I'm thinking of renaming /usr to /usr_old and copying the whole /usr directory from my Celeron desktop to my Athlon X2 desktop. That should get me back to the way things were before my misguided installations. If not, I can just delete the copied /usr directory and name /usr_old back to /usr. Does this sound reasonable? Or will that mess up things that are hardware-specific (are there any in /usr)? My computers are identical as far as what's installed, though the hardware is different.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 06:59:51 pm »

you can just make a symlink for libdvdread
worked for me
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

[quot
How do I make sure the kdelibs from KDE3 install side by side with KDE 4? [/quote]

slapt-get --noupgrade kdelibs

I don't think that will fix Amarok because I installed Amarok 2, which I think uses KDE4 libs.  What about K3B on my laptop that won't start because of a missing libdvdread.so.3?

uelsk8s beat me to this one Smiley

I'm thinking of renaming /usr to /usr_old and copying the whole /usr directory from my Celeron desktop to my Athlon X2 desktop. That should get me back to the way things were before my misguided installations.

They weren't misguided and that is an extreme step.  There is no reason you shouldn't have a fully functional KDE 4.2 with the apps you want.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 07:51:15 pm »

you can just make a symlink for libdvdread
worked for me

Thanks for the reminder. I just did that on my laptop and now K3B is working. I had made a symlink on the desktop computer that is messed up and it didn't help. There were lots of other missing symlinks. After I created all of them I got a segmentation fault when I tried to start K3B. I'll keep working at it.
--GrannhyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:13 pm »

slapt-get --noupgrade kdelibs

There's a typo. It should be slapt-get --no-upgrade kdelibs

It didn't work. Nothing happened except a screen telling me various modifiers. Does slapt-get need some sort of package list beyond what GSlapt gets?

A symlink for libdvdread.so.3 didn't work, either. I continued to get a segmentation fault when I attempted to start K3B. I had a real mess on my hands.

There is no reason you shouldn't have a fully functional KDE 4.2 with the apps you want.

The thing is I never wanted KDE 4.2 to replace the KDE 3.x files that are installed in VL6. I just picked out some interesting-sounding KDE packages that were on the Deluxe CD2 and naively thought they'd install what they needed and wouldn't override what was already there. Ha! Instead I managed to break K3B, which I really like, and prevented Amarok from running.

I don't like KDE as my desktop, so all I'm interested in are some apps. Same for Gnome.

I did go through with renaming /usr to /usr_old and copying all of /usr from my other desktop that I'd never tried to put any KDE4 apps on. It wasn't extreme at all because by renaming /usr first, I risked nothing. If problems resulted, I could simply delete the /usr copied from the other computer and rename /usr_old back to /usr. I have plenty of drive space and the transfer was fast over Ethernet.

I'm happy to report that K3B started right up after I copied over the other /usr directory. I then installed Amarok 1.x from the repos and that's working, too.

There are a couple of directories in the old /usr_old/src that I need to copy into my /usr/src directory and I have to copy some entries from /var/log/packages on the other desktop into /var/log/packages on the formerly messed up computer.

I think I'll wait on KDE4.2 until I have a reason other than curiosity to install it. AND until it has a ready-for-prime-time K3B and Amarok.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:36:32 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »

Sorry about the typo.

gslapt is just a GUI front-end to slapt-get.  It gets all it's info from the same places.

slapt-get -s allows you to see what slapt-get/gslapt will do without actually taking any actions.  It's a nice feature to make you feel more secure about what is about to happen.  Of course, both gslapt and slapt-get prompt you for confirmation before uninstalling anything.

Anyway, glad you got your system back to normal.

KDE5?  That really must be bleeding edge.  You're braver than I am  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: