VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 01:43:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-6.0-STD-GOLD bugs  (Read 25266 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2009, 08:14:13 pm »

There is a serious typo in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.lxde. The last line
exec /usr/bin/slartlxde

should be
exec /usr/bin/startlxde .
--GrannyGeek

I have reported this more than once already I believe when testing VL-5.9.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2009, 08:25:00 pm »

HP 2133 Mini-Note PC

This is now a wonderful machine with VL-6-STD installed. Grin

xmms does not give any sound playing an audio CD. Other players work, xine, alsaplayer.

VCL crashes while playing mp4, either in the middle or at the end of a video when playing.

gmplayer will not play mp4 files, no video only sound.

mplayer plays mp4 files very well. Grin

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 09:58:28 pm »

xmms does not give any sound playing an audio CD. Other players work, xine, alsaplayer.

Pita try the following it works for me.
Click the upper left hand corner of the xmms player, select options then preferences.
Click on CD audio player 1.2.1.1 ~ then click configure.
Change the 'Play Mode' from Analog to 'Digital Audio extraction.'  Click OK then OK again.
Pop in the cd. 
Let me know if it worked.
Here's a tutorial video you can share if it ever comes up in the forums.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/PlayAudioCd/PlayAudioCd.htm

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »

Pita try the following it works for me.
Click the upper left hand corner of the xmms player, select options then preferences.
Click on CD audio player 1.2.1.1 ~ then click configure.
Change the 'Play Mode' from Analog to 'Digital Audio extraction.'  Click OK then OK again.
Pop in the cd. 
Let me know if it worked.
Here's a tutorial video you can share if it ever comes up in the forums.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/PlayAudioCd/PlayAudioCd.htm

Can you hear it? Al Hirt, South RampaRT Street Parade.

Thanks! I have been using xmms for years and never had to do this
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2009, 04:33:42 am »

XMMS audio: It used to be standard for cdrom drives to have an analog audio cable connected to the sound card, bypassing the data bus. I'm sure it requires more CPU cycles to use digital audio extraction, but it's there when you need it.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »

I tried to "update" to xorg 1.6...I guess it's still not all there as it killed my install. I reloaded using the GUI installer and noted that it detected a Mint-64 install that the text installer fails to see. Just to confirm the difference I reloaded with the text installer and it didn't see the Mint install. Also the files that were created in /boot/tamu had different names depending on which installer was used for the detected VL (Light) install. The text installer adds a "-vector" portion to the file name (i.e. text: vmlinuz-vector-sdb8 vs GUI: vmlinuz-sdb8). The GUI installer also creates an initrd-sdbx for each.

The next thing I noted was that the GUI installer requires a domain name when setting up the network the text install does not. This creates a problem for Xfce that seems somewhat strange. If, after using the GUI installer, I remove the domain name (as I'm not part of a domain) Xfce complains during start up. Using the text installer I don't include a domain name just the computer name and Xfce does not complain about a missing domain name on start up.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19:25 pm »

hi
reinstalled vl6std after a look a mepis installed...curious..what do I need to see the gui installer...the text one works like a charm..but I am eager to have a look.

I have two available boxs this is a compaq athalon 1700+ with nvidia onboard and a viewsonic va712b..512ram+swap..I used all available resolutions and the nv generic driver works best..I only get as far as a text choice for resolution, then the flicker between black and splash then black. am I missing something? do I need a faster machine for that? or a better card?

no biggy I like the text install fine and the system is working with only a few inconvieniences mostly fixed at the moment..ie cups 404 but found the fix reading..no calculator on the menu but xcalc is via terminal, when wicd is running some windows will not close until I quit wicd but nothing I can pin point yet.I do not need it so turned off the deamon for now but will need it later.it is on gdm at the moment with default xfce. I did switch to xdm when attempting to install fluxbox but this time just did a default. claws mail did not have a menu icon if it matters.

anyway I like vl better than mepis personally and was curious about the installer..it sounds great.
cheers

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 05:07:17 am »

The vesa driver is included and should work for you

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2009, 03:14:30 pm »

The VL6 GUI installer is the default if you boot with a VL6 CD. If you're using a hosted install from a hard drive, the text installer is what you get. I haven't found any way to use the GUI installer with a hosted install.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 05:21:40 pm »

The VL6 GUI installer is the default if you boot with a VL6 CD. If you're using a hosted install from a hard drive, the text installer is what you get. I haven't found any way to use the GUI installer with a hosted install.
--GrannyGeek

Using the GUI installer with a hosted install is the easiest thing ever.

in a nutshell, this is what you do

Download your ISO as usual
Place your ISO at the top of any partition.
Download the installer binary http://vinstall-ng.googlecode.com/svn/branches/iVL/installer.gambas
Run the installer binary
Code:
./installer.gambas
Follow the installer as usual.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »

thanks...I was just useing a regular VL6-std install cd..there is no option to use vesa for the install unless it is a cheat code.. the text install is via type linux at boot ..

yes the gui install is default but not functioning as described..at the black screen (not blank screen) I am unable to use key board functions like ctrl alt del or backspace and have to unplug the box as there is no reset switch or power button on the supply..so wondered if the onboard nvidia was the issue or if the box is just to old..but the mepis installer worked fine so I wanted to try again..sorry for any confusion..I was just excited to see the installer in action..the text install is flawless and the system is working fine with the generic driver.. the nvidia prop driver does not work well with this chip.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:36:24 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 05:39:15 pm »

I just wrote a howto for the GUI installer.

See here http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9181.0

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 06:46:18 pm »

That will be a nice addition to the how-to's
guess I.m beating a dead horse..moving along

Everything Is Relative
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34:30 am »

Made a GUI installation. Yes, very nice, all run smooth. Dutifully entered
my root password then my user name & password, rebooted and could
not login, neither as root nor as user.
Unknown identities.

Back to text install and root/user have no problems.

Bought the download Standard Deluxe. Made again a Gui installation and above problem
persists. Neither root nor user can login. Huh  May be because there is a common
dislike between guis and me.Wink

Further checking, user is absent in /etc/passwd and has no /home/user directory.
root is in /etc/passwd and has a /root directory, shows up in login screen only, no user,
yet root can still not login.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:45:52 pm by Pita » Logged
Yves Bellefeuille

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »

ext3 partitions are formatted with 256-byte inodes (rather than 128 bytes), which doesn't work with older versions of Grub.

This is the same bug as at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/207001
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: