VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 04:15:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh Install of VL 6.0 but.....  (Read 2239 times)
ElEdwards

« on: February 22, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »

Hi, folks Smiley  I'm back! .....with a fresh, brand new install of VL 6.0 ....and have some issues:

1- no sound

2- Firefox takes about 45-seconds to start

3- even though I'm connected wirelessly through my in-house network, I can't see my wife's Win-XP computer.

So.... where do I start?

Thanks! Smiley
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:41:56 pm »

1. Sound check alsamixer and make sure sound is not muted

2. Not sure

3. Did you ping that XP computer, if not try that and report the results.

Bigpaws
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:21:27 pm »

Taking your questions in reverse order:

samba is not started by default in VL 6.0.  This is a change from VL 5.9 and, IMHO, a good one since a significant portion of VL users don't run Windows.  Go into vasm or vasmCC and choose Services.  Enable samba in runlevel 4 or 5 (whichever you are using, 4 is the default) and you should then be able to see the XP machine.

Can you post the specs of your computer?  If it's an older, low spec system the start time for Firefox 3.0.x is normal.  VL 5.9 used 2.x which was significantly faster.  It's not a problem with VL but rather a reflection of what some would call bloat in the Firefox code to support new features.

I would also like to point out that VL 6.0 includes a lot of extensions and plug-ins by default.  Disabling some of these can speed startup time.

bigpaws already gave you the most likely starting point for diagnosing the sound issue.

Regards,
Cait
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:23:48 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
ElEdwards

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:56:11 am »

Regarding the sound issue, I'll modify my first statement a bit.....
It turns out sound does work.... but WAV and MP3 files sound like the Borg from Star Trek.  The only sound that is clean is when watching videos on the web.  All local sounds are distorted.

I'm also an audio technician so I know how to make and use these file types.  The same sound files are flawless in Ubuntu and OpenSuse.

By the way, how do I assign sounds to events in  DL 6.0?  I haven't found it yet.

Also, should there be default sounds after the install, like log-in, shutdown, etc?  If so, those don't work at all.

This same sound issue (garbled/distorted) is what prevented me from using VL 5.9. Sad

I'm using an older Compaq Presario 2170us Laptop / Celeron / 40Gig HD / 512 Meg.

El Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:20:26 am by ElEdwards » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:38 am »

re: the sound issues you mention:  Xfce does NOT have sound events for login, shutdown, etc...  That isn't Vector Linux.  That's Xfce in any distribution.  There are no sound events in this particular desktop environment.  If you install either KDE or GNOME from the repo you can have sound events.

My guess as to why the sound is distorted locally would be an issue with the sound card driver used by ALSA.  What kind of audio chipset is in that Compaq?  BTW, Ubuntu and OpenSuse use PulseAudio.  VL does not.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
ElEdwards

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:57 am »

OK, I didn't know that about XFCE.

I'm at work right now, so the best I can tell you is that my laptop uses an ALI chipset for audio.

My first distro was Ubuntu in '07, which was before PulseAudio.  I've jumped from one distro to another over the last two years (Ubuntu through 8.10, Mint, OpenSuse, ELive, GEObuntu, Ubuntu Ultimate, Kubuntu through 8.04, DL 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, VL, etc) and VL 5.9 and now 6.0 are the only distros that have given me distorted audio. Sad

I do commercial voiceovers and do my recording and editing in Audacity.

El
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:03 am »

My old Toshiba uses an ALI 5451 audio chipset and has been trouble-free.  I've not had a single problem with it.  Perhaps when you get home you can check which ALI chipset you have and we can compare configuration notes.  I'd like to be able to help you get this sorted out.

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
ElEdwards

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »

Well, sorry.....but I had to abandon DL for now.  I just installed Fedora 10 and everything works fine.  I have a very important voiceover job tomorrow and I had to have my laptop working.

Maybe I'll try again some time.

El
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:24 pm »

Pretty much the same as last time. You reported the issue after the final release, then when someone comes to attempt helping you.. you bolt out of here like a rocket with "...I've installed distro-X..."

Personally , if you don't really want help, don't post bullshit in the forums and waste peoples time.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:37:44 pm »

We're getting similar stuff at DistroWatch.  Two people so far have claimed to come to the forums for help but guess what?  There are no posts here.  Two of the three negative reports don't even say what problems they had.  Fictional installs, fictional forum posts, hit and run problem reports...  What gives?  Why would anyone have something against Vector?

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:42 pm »

Figures, probably some fanboyism from another distro.  I have better things to do rather than waste my time at DW , like draw pictures Smiley
IMO that site was "bought" a long time ago.
ElEdwards

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:59:31 am »

Masta,

I didn't mean to offend anyone....but I make part of my living with my laptop.  After I had audio poblems with 5.9, I was truly hoping 6.0 would resolve that.  I had a very tight deadline and had to make a choice to go with something else..... and I can't help it if you take exception to that.

By posting that I had to go with something else, I thought I was being polite in NOT wasting anyone's time further.

If you had a couple of hundred dollars riding on an audio issue, I doubt you would have done anything differently.

....and as I said, I may try again in the future.....but that partly depends on how terse you are in your next response.

Gimme a break! Sad  Don't sling mud!

Caitlyn, I have nothing against Vector.

El
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:06:33 am by ElEdwards » Logged
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:12 am »

In the five months that I've made this site home, that is the strongest I've heard and it really surprised me.  I can understand, though, where they were coming from and even before your last post, I could understand where you were coming from - Yes, under those circumstances, I would have done the same thing.

Just my 2 cents/

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »

Masta,

I didn't mean to offend anyone....but I make part of my living with my laptop.  After I had audio poblems with 5.9, I was truly hoping 6.0 would resolve that.  I had a very tight deadline and had to make a choice to go with something else..... and I can't help it if you take exception to that.

By posting that I had to go with something else, I thought I was being polite in NOT wasting anyone's time further.

If you had a couple of hundred dollars riding on an audio issue, I doubt you would have done anything differently.

....and as I said, I may try again in the future.....but that partly depends on how terse you are in your next response.

Gimme a break! Sad  Don't sling mud!

Caitlyn, I have nothing against Vector.

El

I see your point, and saw it before, time is of an essence .. however, just mentioning that you had issues and not helping us help you is wasting the essence of our time as well. Period.
Want to get help and get it fixed, ok, stick around a bit more and answer questions to what your comments are missing , so that WE can HELP YOU, otehrwisw you're wasting your own time as well as ours.
ElEdwards

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »

You don't understand the predicament I was in...but that's ok.  Take care.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: