VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 07:53:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new questions re boot manager, icons etyc  (Read 5535 times)
newtovector

« on: February 24, 2009, 02:52:39 pm »

Saw on Distrowatch Vector 6 came out. On my laptop (Acer TravelMate 2310) I had a spare partition, thought I would try it.

A comment on the installer, nice tho it would have been nice to explain clearly what is next, and when its 'the last chance' to change your mind. Example, to definately choose sda5, I had to 'next' on "use sda", then I got to confirm sda5.

OK, booted, NICE.  A comment, a new user switching from (dual boot) Windows, really would not know how to mount (or even what mount means) other partitions and or windows partition.  Linux Mint I use everyday auto mounts all, as well as Xandros and a couple others I use sometimes.

Never before a mouse problem. Why I had to edit xorg.conf and add auto is a good question, I using a dozen or more distro's,

When I boot, I choose Vector on my Lilo Menu. btw, Vector install would not install (I forget if it was trying Grub or Lilo) the boot manager - error  I told it not to install and updated Lilo via Xandros 4

The ERROR I am now running in to is "the drive is mounted, edit and add read only". I press enter and bypass and boot ok.  Actually I would rather Vector checks ONLY it's own partition and if there should be an error in the Mint, Xandros or XP partition, let those look after their own partitions. What should I edit (I know just enough about Linux to be dangerous) to tell Vector to scan ONLY the Vector partition ?

I can't seem to drag an icon to the desktop, or right click on the desktop and add an icon and program ?

Speaking of icons, how do I change them ?  Usually I right click, choose properties, click on the icon and make my choice. Example, I want firefox to use the Firefox icon. My wife will have no idea a round blue marble is Firefox.  I saw a green guy icon, looked like AOL ! Get that off my computer Smiley  No, it turns out to be the shutdown menu, good, but it should be a STOP sign.

To edit xorg.conf, or any system file, I need admin acess. I am used to using gedit, either fron a terminal after su and type gedit or set gedit with admin privilages from the file menu. (I rebooted to Mint to make the changes on the Vector partition). I tried text editor after su, in term, but I don't see an "open" to choose the file I want to work on.  WHAT editor should I install ?  Actually I haven't had time to go thru the reposatory or looked for updates. 

Darn, I also haven't installed the spell checking plugin to this Firefox. Sorry for my bad spelling.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:26 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux!

I'm going to try and answer your comments and questions as best I can.  There is a lot here so please be patient with me if I miss something.

Never before a mouse problem. Why I had to edit xorg.conf and add auto is a good question, I using a
dozen or more distro's,

I honestly don't know but I do know that I have NEVER had to do that in Vector Linux and I've been here since version 1.5 -- about nine years in all.  Mouse just works for me.  So... what's different about your hardware?

When I boot, I choose Vector on my Lilo Menu. btw, Vector install would not install (I forget if it was trying Grub or Lilo) the boot manager - error  I told it not to install and updated Lilo via Xandros 4

This is a bug in the GUI installer which I saw as well.  The graphical installer is brand new and written from scratch.  Up until now VL only had a text based editor.  There are still some rough edges and the handling of lilo is one of them.  (Vector Linux does not include grub by default.)  I'm reporting the bug in the bug thread (see Distro Development section of the forum).

The ERROR I am now running in to is "the drive is mounted, edit and add read only". I press enter and bypass and boot ok.  Actually I would rather Vector checks ONLY it's own partition and if there should be an error in the Mint, Xandros or XP partition, let those look after their own partitions. What should I edit (I know just enough about Linux to be dangerous) to tell Vector to scan ONLY the Vector partition ?

This isn't a Vector thing but rather a Linux thing.  If you disable the ability of Vector Linux to see or use the partition then it won't check it.  Otherwise it will.  As root you can edit /etc/fstab and comment out the line for a given partition and it won't mount and won't be usable.  You can also not do that but rather add the "noauto" option in /etc/fstab and that will prevent the drive from automounting and checking at boot.  You will still be able to mount it manually or with the graphical mount tool on the Xfce panel.  The choice of approach is yours.

I can't seem to drag an icon to the desktop, or right click on the desktop and add an icon and program ?

You're not used to an Xfce desktop, are you?  That's the design of Xfce, not a problem in Vector Linux.  The right click is used for a menu, not for adding things.  If you prefer GNOME or KDE they are available in the repository.

To add a launcher icon to the desktop in Xfce open the file manager (Thunar), go to /usr/share/applications and you will see shortcuts for each and every application installed on your system.  If you hold down the CTRL key and drag any of these to the left onto the desktop icon in the left panel they will be added to your desktop. 

Speaking of icons, how do I change them ?  Usually I right click, choose properties, click on the icon and make my choice.

That works.  You right click, choose properties, and click on the icon in the middle of the screen labeled "Network" (the name of the icon in use).  Go to the bottom of the list of default icons and choose "Other".  Icons in Vector Linux are stored in two places: /usr/share/pixmaps (the default; Firefox is there) or /usr/share/icons (several collections of icons are here).  Navigate to one of those and choose your icon.

To edit xorg.conf, or any system file, I need admin acess. I am used to using gedit, either fron a terminal after su and type gedit or set gedit with admin privilages from the file menu. (I rebooted to Mint to make the changes on the Vector partition). I tried text editor after su, in term, but I don't see an "open" to choose the file I want to work on.  WHAT editor should I install ?  Actually I haven't had time to go thru the reposatory or looked for updates.

gedit is a GNOME thing and you don't have GNOME installed.  The default editor in Xfce is Mousepad.  It's already installed -- you don't need to install anything else.  A more sophisticated editor (medit) was an option during install.  If you did a full installation you have that too.  Which to use is your choice.  (Yes, you can also install gedit if you want but you'd end up installing a lot of GNOME in dependencies.)   There is no root text editor menu selection in Vector Linux (unless you add one to the menu, of course) so you'd still use su and then launch it from a terminal window.   You can also configure VL to use sudo if you prefer.

Darn, I also haven't installed the spell checking plugin to this Firefox.

It's installed by default.  You do need to install the dictionary you want to use, though.  In Edit->Preferences you can turn on auto spell-checking.  Then, when typing, highlight a word you want to check, right mouse click, and select Add Dictionaries from the menu.  Pick the dictionary you want (i.e.: U.S. English) and you'll be good to go.

HTH,
Cait

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:46:52 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
newtovector

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:01:49 pm »

Thanks, quick reply.

I should mention, anyone reading my message, I am not complaining/knocking Vector, just getting the info to fine tune it the way I like. It is NICE and I plan to use it a LOT on my laptop.

indeed strange, is just a generic usb mouse, use it on Mint, XP the odd time I boot to Windoze, Xandros and Mepis while I was trying it.

regarding boot and read only in Lilo ...  I do want all drive partitions auto mounted, if need be I will have to contend with the error message and press enter. The only hitch there is, I very often boot my laptop in front of and for, Windows users who have never seen Linux in action. Usually they are very impressed as they had expected to see a "TEXT based LINUX (difficult) OS". And if they see a screen full of TEXT and an ERROR message, that will not be a good thing  Cheesy

I will edit lilo and add the read only, unknown what it will do to the other distro's booting, but if need be can change it back.

I will work a bit at the icon thing, and if need be install gedit for text. I don't mind if I have it install some gnome stuff, have lots of room. The main thing is a simple wysiwug editor anyone can use without thinking about it.

Spell check in Firefox, right now I am on one of my desktops (Mint).  I don't recall doing anything like add a dictionary, perhaps I did,  it has been a couple years since the install...

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:51 pm »

I didn't think you were being critical.  I thought you had a lot of questions, which you did.

Have you tried mousepad?  It's a lot like notepad in Windows, which is to say dirt simple.  medit is more sophisticated than gedit but it's easy to use.  I also like adie, which is part of the fox package.  All of those have less dependencies than gedit.  I don't honestly thing gedit is anything special.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

newtovector

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:58:45 pm »

yes, lots of questions Smiley I am back on the laptop now.

I changed the icon, all set there. Thanks

gedit, true nothing special other than I am used to it. MOUSEPAD, I never would have guessed the name. Yes, I opened a terminal, su | password | mousepad and PERFECT, exactly what I want.

I opened lilo.conf to see about the boot error situation. I have made no changes yet, strange, read-only is in it in a couple places...  the start and the Vector section (it was there, I did not add it ?)

here is what I have:
boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/cboot.b
message=/boot/splash.lilo
timeout=300
map=/boot/map
prompt
lba32
read-only
compact
fix-table
image=/disks/linux/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
   label=Linux_Mint_6_-_on_hda8
   initrd=/disks/linux/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
   append="root=/dev/sda8 ro quiet splash"
image=/disks/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.12
   label=Vector_Linux_hda5
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/disks/hda5/boot/initrd
   append="splash=silent rw "
   read-only
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Xandros_4.0_Home_Edition_Premium
   vga=791
   root=/dev/hda7
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.18-dcc-smp.gz
   append="quiet rw acpi=on resume2=swap:/dev/hda9 "
other=/dev/hda2
   label=Windows®_XP
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Safe_Video_Mode
   vga=791
   root=/dev/hda7
   append="3 quiet rw acpi=on resume2=swap:/dev/hda9 "
other=/dev/hda1
   label=MS_Windows
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Configure_(Expert)
   vga=normal
   root=/dev/hda7
   append="single quiet rw acpi=on resume2=swap:/dev/hda9 noresume noresume2 nosplash=y "
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:05 pm »

I don't have much to add to what Caitlyn has said. But here are a few more points.

A comment, a new user switching from (dual boot) Windows, really would not know how to mount (or even what mount means) other partitions and or windows partition.  Linux Mint I use everyday auto mounts all, as well as Xandros and a couple others I use sometimes.

I think automounting all partitions is a very bad idea. The reason is that some partitions should *not* be automounted unless the user explicitly chooses this. For example, if you have your installed Windows system drive mounted, you could make a mistake that could trash your Windows installation. It's better to mount your Windows system drive just when you need to do something, like copy a file, and then unmount the drive when you've finished whatever you needed to do. The same is true for other Linux partitions. If you have another distro installed, it's safer to have it unmounted until you need to do something with it. Do your thing and then unmount it.

VectorLinux lets you easily automount your other partitions with VASM, File System, Mount Partitions. They will be mounted at boot unless you add
noauto
in the drive options that comes up after you choose what to mount (VL will automaticaly create a mount point, which you can rename at that time if you want). I add noauto for my NTFS drives and my other Linuxes. I can manually mount them when I want to use them. I do automount the FAT32 drives that have my music and photo files that are shared with Windows. If you didn't do this when you were configuring the system, you can add noauto to /etc/fstab as Caitlyn described.

Never before a mouse problem. Why I had to edit xorg.conf and add auto is a good question, I using a dozen or more distro's,

My experience is like Caitlyn's. I've been using VL for years, going back to version 2-something, and have never had a mouse problem. It used to be that we sometimes had to edit xorg.conf to get the wheel working, but that was pretty much fixed years ago. However, sometimes hardware doesn't get set up properly for whatever reason, but with Linux that can nearly always be fixed with a bit of editing.

You should be able to prevent this checking by editing /etc/fstab. Here is an example of what you need to edit:
/dev/hdb7   /mnt/rc4  reiserfs  noatime,users,noauto 0 0

The two zeros at the end of the line tell Linux not to check the file system on that drive. Edit the lines that mount your other Linuxes and Windows by changing the last two numbers to 0 0 and I think the scanning behavior will not recur.

I saw a green guy icon, looked like AOL ! Get that off my computer Smiley  No, it turns out to be the shutdown menu, good, but it should be a STOP sign.

There's no rule about what any icon SHOULD be, it's your choice. I think the theme determines what icon gets used for Quit. Many Panel icons can be changed individually, but the Quit icon cannot, or so it appears. I remove that icon from the Panel because it's unnecessary. You can choose Quit from the Desktop menu accesssible from the "Start" button or by a right-click on the desktop.

I hope this helps.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:03 pm »

Everything GrannyGeek wrote is spot on.  Yes, she's right about the last two numbers.  One (I forget which) is for backups but the other is checking.  Anyway, like GrannyGeek I have everything in there but it's all noauto for other distros.

newtovector

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:03:49 am »

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Hi 'Granny' - I am a Grampy, I have a 15 yr old Grandson... bought my first computer back in the late 70's.  A 4k TRS80 MOD I. I still have it, it still works ! serial # 000414.

Mouse, I think my problem was indeed with the wheel too, the pointer worked

Auto mount, agreed, I would never setup anyone to do that, other than a windows data partition both OS's share. Myself I boot to different distro's at times (including windows) and often want info off a diff partition I have saved for whatever reason. Being lazy, I just want it available, no muss, no fuss.

icons - it 'should' be... was the wrong expression I guess. I should have said "i think it should be"  Smiley it frustrated me I couldn't change it so I deleted it.
Quote from: GrannyGeek
You should be able to prevent this checking by editing /etc/fstab. Here is an example of what you need to edit:
/dev/hdb7   /mnt/rc4  reiserfs  noatime,users,noauto 0 0

Seems if I recall, one time in the past I messed with fstab for the same problem on some distro, messed up my bootloader so reverted back. Will look into it more today.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:05:42 am by newtovector » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:07:28 pm »

I am a Grampy, I have a 15 yr old Grandson... bought my first computer back in the late 70's.  A 4k TRS80 MOD I. I still have it, it still works ! serial # 000414.

I have three granddaughters and two grandsons. The oldest one will be 13 in March. The youngest is 4. Unfortunately, they don't live nearby. We see one batch about once a year and the other batch a few times a year. The grandchildren use Linux when they visit--not that they realize it.

My first computer was a Tandy 1000SX in 1987. When I got a new computer in 1991, the Tandy started making its way down the family food chain. I don't know where it wound up.

Auto mount, agreed, I would never setup anyone to do that, other than a windows data partition both OS's share. Myself I boot to different distro's at times (including windows) and often want info off a diff partition I have saved for whatever reason. Being lazy, I just want it available, no muss, no fuss.

I think that's fine because you made the choice. I don't think it's fine if a distro automatically mounts all partitions and the user has to change it if desired. What makes it even worse is that the "easier" distros may mess with /etc/fstab so that it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Then you have to find the GUI tool that handles mounting drives and make your choice about automounting. I think it's easier to deal with fstab.

Seems if I recall, one time in the past I messed with fstab for the same problem on some distro, messed up my bootloader so reverted back. Will look into it more today.

Changing the last to numbers to 0 0 for partitions you have to mount is perfectly safe. It's true that you can make changes to fstab that could cause grief, but that's not one of them.

Let us know how it goes.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newtovector

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 06:09:57 am »

no luck Sad

I put 'read-only' in all parts of lilo.conf referencing other distro's lilo's that boot without the problem on my other computers

with 0 0 in fstab, Vector boots to a text / cli mode

I tried unsuccessfully to use Vectors lilo util. All this has been using/editing the lilo.conf installed by Xandros 4. It works properly on XP, Xandros and Mint (Mint I use 99% of the time in all 3 of my computers).

I downloaded supergrub but to be truthful, chose not to mess around with the boot in mbr and change to grub

I like Vector, it works well, it is just 'my' personal problem with the prompted boot.  I will leave it on this partition (I have another spare) and someday may figure it out.

Attaching lilo.conf again as it stands now.  I'd buy/donate if someone could supply the fix.  Missing as well is a boot graphic, I get to see all the text as the system comes up but expect that part will be ab easy fix, it is just the error/press [enter] that bugs me.
boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/cboot.b
timeout=300
map=/boot/map
prompt
lba32
read-only
compact
fix-table
   label=Vector_Linux_hda5
   read-only
   append="root=/dev/hda5 quiet splash"

image=/vmlinuz
   vga=791
   root=/dev/hda7
   read-only
   append="quiet acpi=on resume2=swap:/dev/hda9 "
other=/dev/hda2
   label=Windows®_XP
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Safe_Video_Mode
   vga=791
   root=/dev/hda7
other=/dev/hda1
   label=MS_Windows
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Configure_(Expert)
   vga=normal
   root=/dev/hda7
   append="single quiet rw acpi=on resume2=swap:/dev/hda9 noresume noresume2 nosplash=y "
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:49:47 am by newtovector » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:10 am »

I don't know enough about lilo.conf to have a clue as to whether something in the lilo.conf you use is related to your problem. I read man lilo.conf but understood next to nothing. I've never even heard of many of the things that show up in your lilo.conf.

On my Athlon 64 desktop where I'm writing this, my lilo is very simple. I use XP's ntloader to boot to Vector. Lilo is in the boot sector of /dev/hdb8, which is where VL6 is installed. I have no extra parameters. On my Vista laptop that dual boots with VL 6, I don't use lilo. I boot with the VL CD by typing
linux root=/dev/hda6 ro
at the first VL prompt. On my Celeron desktop, I have XP, a small Win 98SE, VL5.9 Deluxe, VL6 RC4, and VL6 Deluxe. (I use the partitions with older VLs for beta testing new versions of VectorLinux and have no reason to wipe them out until I actually need them for testing.) I use the ntloader on this computer and I also have lilo on a floppy disk "just in case" the ntloader failed me (which it never has). It's been quite a few years since I have installed another distro on a hard drive. "When you have the best, why bother with the rest?" ;-) When I've wanted to check out another distro, I've used a Live CD.

Have you tried booting with the VectorLinux CD? This would get you into VL, not the others, but it would be interesting to see if your problem recurred. Just boot with the CD and at the initial prompt type
linux root=/dev/hda5 ro

If you have a floppy drive, you could also try putting lilo on a boot floppy. You might try it two ways:
*  one by using the lilo.conf from Xandros 4, in other words, the one you're using now. Change the boot= line to boot=/dev/fd0  . You have to have a formatted floppy in the drive and run as root:
lilo -v
after you save and exit /etc/lilo.conf .
*  one by letting Vector's VASMCC, Filesystem, Boot Loader create a new /etc/lilo.conf to install from the floppy drive. It will certainly detect your Windows system and hopefully the Linuxes.

These are just experiments to see if these approaches work.

Better yet would be for someone who understands your lilo.conf to step in if a reason for your problem stands out.

As for 0 0 in fstab causing a boot to text mode, I can't figure out why it should do that. I have no experience with that because BY CHOICE I boot to runlevel 2 all the time. So if there's something about 0 0 in fstab that causes text mode, I wouldn't have noticed.<g>

BUT...
if using 0 0 prevents the filesystem checking you don't want, it's a very simple matter to type
startx
once you log in. That would add what--maybe 2 seconds?-- to your startup time.

The reason I prefer runlevel 2 is that when I exit from XFce, I want to be at a console without X loaded. In order to get that in runlevel 4 or 5, I'd have to type init 2 at a terminal prompt. I guess I'm quite attached to the Linux way of running the GUI on top of the underlying console system rather than the Windows way of integrating the GUI into the OS itself.

Keep us posted and good luck!
--GrannyGeek

newtovector

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 04:25:23 pm »

The point of my 'fixing' lilo is I want to bypass the 'text'. Yes, it easily boots, even with the 'error' just a fraction of a second is needed to press enter and continue.

The idea being, I very often boot my computer in front of people who use Windows, and have a wrong conception of Linux.  In general the 'public' expect Linux to show up as a difficult text based computer system.  That is my reason for wanting to smoothly boot with an animated graphic - no text or even worse, the word error on screen.

I tried using Vector install to install lilo. Error, it would not write.  After the install, I have tried to install Vector's lilo, no luck, it only lists it plans to setup Vector only, not the rest.
Quote from: caitlyn
This is a bug in the GUI installer which I saw as well.  The graphical installer is brand new and written from scratch.  Up until now VL only had a text based editor.
Reference to the older text installer ? Perhaps I should boot the live cd, su a terminal and try a new install ? I'll look into that.

Seems I read VL is a Canadian production, Great, I am from the Maritime's.
Donations, not a great amount, but after I post this message, will be making a small donation.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:39:29 pm »

There is no live CD for VL 6.0 yet.   I'll take a look at your lilo.conf file when Ihave time this weekend.

newtovector

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:42:16 am »

a quiet Monday morning...
thought with me messing around, I would do a fresh install...
this time I have used 'the old installer'
everything going as expected, now at the install lilo screen
when I select MBR, the next screen says:
the following operating systems ahve been detected on this computer. Please choose the ones to be included in the lilo boot menu
  • Linux  Linux (/dev/hda5)
  • Linux Test mode (/dev/hda5)
  • Linux Graphic mode (/dev/hda5)

it does not list Windows on hda2, Xandros on hda7 and Mint on hda8 ? ?

never know till I try I suppose, going to let it write to the mbr (tried that with the graphic installer and it refused) and see what happens Smiley  I guess it's not that hard to restore lilo via the Xandros cd...

now the 'lilo frame buffer menu'  choosing the bootsplash-high as that is my main objective, to boot via graphic mode, no text scrolling by (and worse, stopping on an error)

bypassed the optional

VL-Hot  or HAL screen.  This is more or less Greek to me (and probably others)  Since it is 'older' hardware (not a core 2 duo or the like) will go for VL-Hot ... BUT I do expect to be able to plug in a flash drive and it be immediately recognized ...  if not, hopefully I can install / switch to Hal after.

the rest pretty straight forward...

reboot

OUCH, as I feared, VECTOR is the only 3 options... booted setup, my wireless

time to reboot and install Lilo via Xandros - hopefully Vector also put boot info in / of hda5

lilo restored, all systems listed, choice of Vector is back to lots of scrolling TEXT, stops on the read-only ERROR, enter continues to the desktop Sad

boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/cboot.b
timeout=300
map=/boot/map
prompt
lba32
read-only
compact
fix-table
   label=Vector_Linux_hda5
   root=/dev/hda5
   append="splash=silent ro "
   read-only
image=/vmlinuz
   vga=791
   root=/dev/hda7
   append="quiet rw acpi=on resume2=swap:/dev/hda9 "
other=/dev/hda2
   label=Windows�_XP
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Safe_Video_Mode
   vga=791
   root=/dev/hda7
other=/dev/hda1
   label=MS_Windows
image=/vmlinuz
   label=Configure_(Expert)
   vga=normal
   root=/dev/hda7

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:53:54 pm »

I just looked at your entry for VL and it's correct.  Must be something with your hardware configuration.   Sorry but I honestly don't think you'll be able to fix this.  What is the actual error you are seeing?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: