VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 04:24:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install VL 6.0 Standard  (Read 1315 times)
w2gnd

« on: February 25, 2009, 07:45:34 am »

Hello,

I downloaded VL 6.0 Standard last night and burned it to a CD.  Tried to load it on my laptop that has dual boot capability with 5.9 Standard Gold and Windows NT 4.0.  The laptop is a MicronPC Transport GX3.  With the BIOS set for booting from the CD, I inserted the VL 6.0 CD and.............it booted to 5.9 Standard.

Is installing this version any different than 5.9?  I checked the "How to" section of the forum and didn't see any clues.  I am checking my K3b settings but don't believe I've changed them since I burned the 5.9 CD.

Thanks!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:24 am »

I dunno how to help you with your problem, but the procedure for booting the cd is the same as in 5.9
Sounds like something in the bios or a bad burn.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:24:17 am »

Sounds like a bad burn to me because he said BIOS is set to boot from CD.

That means the image was not burnt right
Make sure you're using your burner's "burn CD image (ISO)" to do this

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27:34 am »

I couple of questions come to this noob's mind as they have happened to me.

Did you put it on another partition?

Did lilo install?

If it was the same partition, look at the contents of /etc/vector-version and if it still says 5.9, then it sounds like the previous comments are very much in order.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
w2gnd

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:05 pm »

Hello again,

I burned the ISO again and successfully booted using the CD.  I was doing great until I got to the partitioning section.  I wanted to make the large partition (hda3, 8GB) root and the small one (hda4, 3.5GB) home.  I wanted to make root bootable but it wouldn't let me.  I received a message stating that one partition has to be designated "/" to load the system.  So I made hda3 "/" and made hda4 bootable.  (Seems I couldn't make root "/" and bootable).  I made the default operating system Windows NT.  I finished loading the system and rebooted.  The system booted straight to Windows with no option to select VL.

I went through the install again this time selecting Vector Linux as the default operating system.  When rebooted, I was immediately rewarded with a half a page of 99's.

Is there any way of repairing the MBR without doing a complete re-install?

Thanks again!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:15:25 pm »

That means your lilo did not install correctly

use the install cd to boot your VL isntallation (if you have not done so already)
open a terminal
run VASM -> Filesystem -> Lilo
or vasmCC -> Filesystem -> Bootloader

Both should get you to the same place

w2gnd

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 04:50:52 pm »

Thank you MOE-Inx,

That did the trick.  By using vasm, I was able to configure LILO by answering more detailed questions than when I did the install.

The end product is great, especially wicd!

Bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: