VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: new .iso install doc  (Read 277 times)

crum

new .iso install doc
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:40:01 am »

Have been looking for new info about direct install from iso,all I find refers to links no longer there or VL6.0 or download vinstall. Downloaded STDRC4.6.1 and looking through info in iso all refer back to 2012 or earlier and links == 404. Any place for better information?

crum

STD-RC4.6.1 usb devices
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:50:32 am »

Usb devices not shown on desktop. I have mount removable drives selected,when dvd loaded is displayed on desk top. Computer old Gateway circa 2005.

Appears only to be my error . Resolved!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:43:40 am by crum »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: new .iso install doc
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:27:15 pm »

crum, most of the install hacks you are talking about are no longer valid, nor is the old documentation. :(

Things change, and hardware requirements are creeping up. Install from optical disc, or USB drive created using dd, are the only recommended install techniques.

The "install from iso" option is mainly for devs who do a lot of test installs. If it works for you, good. Just remember to prepare your hard drive in advance and copy a VL ISO to the root (very top level, not in a folder) of a partition that you do not intend to use during the installation.

crum

Re: new .iso install doc
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:49:35 pm »

@nightflier. Feel better about confirmation of info, I thought I was missing something in my searching and basically I wanted to give it ago, I am quite at ease using dd works excellent. thanks for the help.      Being new to Vector like to try out everything.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:16:49 pm by crum »