VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 04:17:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for doc suggestions for VL6.0  (Read 26949 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: February 25, 2009, 10:02:00 am »

I have just started the process of updating the VL documentation to reflect changes to VL 6.0 from VL 5.9. The biggest change will be the addition of a section on our new graphical installer.

If anyone else has comments, suggestions on what should be added, subtracted, edited regarding the old documentation efforts please PM me with your comments ASAP.

thanks....Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:28 am »

I guess I could probabbly make a couple of suggestions... where is the documentation for 5.9 BTW?
Never bothered to read any of it. I may need to look at that and compare it to the new installation method.

EDIT
Never mind... Found it

[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:09:37 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:25:14 am »

Some of the new stuff in VL6.0

* Wicd has gained some importance as network configurator and maybe could have a section.

* Slapt-update-notifier

* Gdm instead kdm, best feature is the hability of chaging the locale from it. Now wm's .desktops go in /usr/share/xsessions

* Hal is now default and Vl-Hot can be set from vasm

* The cool vburn and its cli tburn are installed by default as an alternative to k3b

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:17:55 am »

But what is the replacement for pyNeighborhood or vlsmbmount?

Also, could there be something about connecting two VL machines via LAN?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35:48 am »

But what is the replacement for pyNeighborhood or vlsmbmount?

This has been an area of interest to me, and one that I think we should be worked on heavily on the VL Development.
I've managed to do this using something called "thunar shares", fuse, and fusesmb. The correct setup of these tools makes file sharing very easy on xfce. almost similar to the windows file sharing deal...where you right-click a file/dir and set the sharing properties.

The setup is somewhat complex and I have not had the time to try and automate something for easy installation on a standard VL install.
In the meantime, I'd suggest sticking to samba and pyNeighborhood.

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »

Thanks, Moe.

Since fuse was mentioned in our early conversations, this sounds like what I'll find as a friend helps me get set up.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
lm8
Packager

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:36:34 pm »

Some suggestions for setting things up for alternate Window Managers would be nice.  For instance, there are some icons that show up in the default Window Manager if someone's using vl-hot and a device is plugged or unplugged.  Maybe add info on what commands to use to do this at command line or add to a menu in an alternate Window Manager like Fluxbox, Openbox (LXDE), etc.  Thought I read in the 5.9 documentation that you take out the flash drive and then unmount.  Shouldn't that be unmount and then take out the device?

See http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl59/manuals/vl5_external_storage_en.html
"for window managers other than xfce or KDE you should: 1) close down the file manager, 2) remove the device and then, 3) use the command "umount /mnt/vl-hot/sd?" as root, to correctly unmount the device. "

Also, should alternate desktop users be using umount of vlh-umount?  Are there any other useful utilities or documentation that are automatically set up in the menus or as icons for those using the default Window Manager that people choosing another Window Manager should know about or might want to set up?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »

Some suggestions for setting things up for alternate Window Managers would be nice. 

I certainly agree that docs on setting up the installed window managers is necessary but I draw the line at providing docs for alternates that are not provided as installed with the distro. If we do that we open ourselves to providing docs for a plethora of uninstalled applications for which there is already documentation elsewhere. I do not see that as being the mandate for VL Docs.   

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:14 pm »

I agree with Laganon's last post.  If we take VL Standard, Deluxe, Light, and SOHO into account we already have to cover the following window managers and desktop environments:

KDE 4 (kwm)  -  VL 6.0 Deluxe, maybe 6.0 SOHO
KDE 3.5.10 (kwm) - VL 5.9.1 SOHO, maybe 6.0 SOHO
Xfce 4.4.3 - VL 6.0 Standard/Deluxe
LXDE/Openbox - VL 6.0 Standard/Deluxe
IceWM - VL 6.0 Light
JWM - VL 6.0 Light
Enlightenment E17 - VL 6.0 Deluxe

That's seven already.  I think that's a bit much as it is.

Re:  VL-Hot -- it's capability within a lightweight WM doesn't come from the window manager but rather from the pcmanfm file manager.  That can be documented in a window manager neutral way.

Just my two agorot worth...
Cait
(An agora is 1/100 of an Israeli shekel, or about a quarter of a US penny)

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »

If they're VL machines and you don't want to connect to Windows shares, nfs is super easy to install and use. See my how-to at http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=669.msg3845#msg3845 . It's much easier to do than to describe how to do it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
radio_silence

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:15:53 pm »

Hi! I don't know much about the suggestions being batted around, but it 'cause I don't know much... Roll Eyes

Having just purchased 6.0 deluxe for a laptop to send to a perma-noob, I'm anxiously awaiting the pending user manual in pdf form.  After all, its supposed to be part of the package, I've really been looking forward to it.

Check my post concerning Dlx customer support  'I don't know -ask at forum'
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:41:40 am by radio_silence » Logged

ToshSat330cds_233Mhz_96Mb_4Gb-VLL5.9Final
IBMnetvista_2Ghz_1Gb_30Gb-VL5.9.1/MSxp
ToshSatPro4600_700Mhz_512MB_20Gb-VL5.9.1/MSnt
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:47:53 pm »

Thanks for repeating that Granny.  I find that I had been missing the cli commands after gettting the other files set and had lost my notes.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
lm8
Packager

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 05:03:05 am »

Putting instructions for each individual alternate window manager would be too much work.  I was thinking more along the lines of, these are the commands at the command line to do a task.  Enter them into your particular window manager's menu or keyboard shortcuts or integrate however you usually would. 

Covering LXDE in more detail would be great for many of the openbox, fluxbox, blackbox users as techniques should be similar enough between these window managers, even if configuration files differ between them.

So, does this mean we're stuck using pcmanfm with vl-hot?  What about users who prefer a different file manager and still want some of vl-hot's capabilities?
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:30 am »

Once upon a time.......

We had a wiki, but it got hacked, or busted, or server died, or whatever.  To put little info on different topics, I think a wiki is the best solution, but we need a server to host it, and a good policy of who can edit it (to prevent spam), and how it should be organized.

I remember writing a couple of articles for it, but when it disappeared, we lost them all (yeah, no backups Sad )

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 05:35:07 am »

Once upon a time.......

We had a wiki, but it got hacked, or busted, or server died, or whatever.  To put little info on different topics, I think a wiki is the best solution, but we need a server to host it, and a good policy of who can edit it (to prevent spam), and how it should be organized.

I remember writing a couple of articles for it, but when it disappeared, we lost them all (yeah, no backups Sad )

I too remember this.... and agree that this is probabbly the best way to do this

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: