VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 01:19:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for doc suggestions for VL6.0  (Read 26914 times)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:12 am »

Isn't this the same thing you are looking for?

Except that is already setup.

Bigpaws
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 11:52:54 am »

So, does this mean we're stuck using pcmanfm with vl-hot?  What about users who prefer a different file manager and still want some of vl-hot's capabilities?

VL-hot works with KDE, GNOME, and Xfce without pcmanfm.  Lightweight window managers lack the necessary functionality.  For them pcmanfm is required.  pcmanfm is also integral to LXDE.  So... the answer to your question is that it depends on the DE you are using.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 02:11:19 pm »

Some suggestions for setting things up for alternate Window Managers would be nice. 

I certainly agree that docs on setting up the installed window managers is necessary but I draw the line at providing docs for alternates that are not provided as installed with the distro. If we do that we open ourselves to providing docs for a plethora of uninstalled applications for which there is already documentation elsewhere. I do not see that as being the mandate for VL Docs.   

Agreed.  We probably should mention something on how to install the Gnome Slack Build that is included in the repositories with VL6.0.  We should probably also include some documentation that will instruct people not to download from that repository when they don't want knom.  Maybe even suggest to remove it from the repositories as a rule and just pull it in when needed.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 04:51:31 pm »

Lagagnon,

I think you are right to concentrate on the gui installer.  As soon as that part is done, I hope you link it to the help button at the gparted portion of the gui install.  I can now install 6.0 final gui without never_stop_learning's help, but its not pretty.

As to other differences, I think the gslapt changes are important, as is the lack of wifi-radar (and other changes in the wireless setup procedures).

John 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:57 pm »

We had a wiki, [...] but we need a server to host it

Kidd, M0E, Larry, and all:

I have no idea how you all have the backend stuff set up, but if there's enough bandwidth to host the how-to videos discussed over in another thread, why couldn't the wiki go on the forum's server?  I can't imagine a wiki making that much of a load.

and a good policy of who can edit it (to prevent spam), and how it should be organized.

I'd suggest a simple procedure:

1. Qualified Wiki Participant:
  • To be able to add to or modify the wiki, you'd have to be a forum member with a certain number of posts first, say when you become a "vectorite" at 100.
  • After attaining that level, you request to be a wiki participant, if you want.

2. Moderators:
  • Do the obvious policing, and editing, deleting, etc.
  • They approve (or disapprove) vectorites who request to be participants - or remove wiki posters who cross "some" line.

Perhaps the approval could be by simple majority vote - always tending toward permissiveness. It would be rare to disapprove, and rarer still to eject someone, but at least there'd be a formal mechanism to do so.

I remember writing a couple of articles for it, but when it disappeared, we lost them all (yeah, no backups Sad )

Could we use google docs to start the rebuilding of the wiki? ... I'm all for this, and would help out.

What do you think?

- Howard

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 05:31:38 pm »

The old wiki we did have was very good.  Whatever was done then could be done now once we figure out where to put it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:36 am »

So, does this mean we're stuck using pcmanfm with vl-hot?  What about users who prefer a different file manager and still want some of vl-hot's capabilities?

VL-hot works with KDE, GNOME, and Xfce without pcmanfm.  Lightweight window managers lack the necessary functionality.  For them pcmanfm is required.  pcmanfm is also integral to LXDE.  So... the answer to your question is that it depends on the DE you are using.

Actually, vl-hot will work even with no X running.  It will mount things regardless, you would just need to unmount manually. What you really need KDE, Gnome, XFCE and PCManFM for is to get the advantage of the desktop icons.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
lm8
Packager

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:34 am »

Actually, vl-hot will work even with no X running.  It will mount things regardless, you would just need to unmount manually. What you really need KDE, Gnome, XFCE and PCManFM for is to get the advantage of the desktop icons.

I'm happy running it without the desktop icons.  I have to say again, I really like vl-hot.  It is great for older systems.  As caitlyn mentioned in her article, I am surprised other distributions aren't using it.  (By the way, nice article, caitlyn.) 

A little more official documentation on it (such as mentioning the info Joe1962 just posted above) would be great too.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 12:15:58 pm »

Oops, and I forgot this piece of info when posting my comment over at Caitlyn's article... Embarrassed

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
zeeshan

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

thanks for sharing. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: