VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:55:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gslapt Went Berserk  (Read 2454 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »

Might not be the right place to put this observation. Can't find another slot.

Well abiword was not behaving properly so I thought best remove it and then install again with glsapt.
Put it on remove, clicked execute and did not pay attention. When I did have a look what was going on it was too late. gslapt was runnign berserk and in the process of cleaning my box. I could not cancel it and had to kill with killall. My box was practically emptied of most libraries and almost nothing worked anymore.

I now updated with mc from the libraries of VL-6 which I had installed. I still could not open firefox or totem. So I uninstalled gnome-2.24.1 and reinstalled it and all is working fine again including abiword.

Just thought to let this be known. Handle gslapt with care!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:02:13 am »

It's not gslapt.  It's the damn #@!%@ gsb repository.  Including that in VL 6 has turned into a huge mistake.  gsb has all sorts of insane dependencies.  So... it thinks that if you remove one package that it has (or a later version of a VL package) it thinks you've started ripping out GNOME and everything GNOME depends on.  Never mind that you didn't have GNOME on your box to start with.

I've been packaging replacements for gsb packages.  Unfortunately some are on the iso so we'll never be able to get rid of gsb completely in this release cycle.

For AbiWord I'd recommend the 2.6.6 packages in our patches repository.  The 2.6.5 version on the iso is OK but has some minor bugs fixed in 2.6.6.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:07 am »

So would removing the offending source directory be a good idea for using Gslapt?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:41:36 am »

Nope, because gsb packages are dependencies for way too many things.  This one is not easily fixed.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:42:47 pm »

This has been mentioned before but it bears repeating. GSlapt can be much too aggressive when removing packages. It's safer to remove *just* the package you want to get rid of by running as root at a terminal prompt:
removepkg nameofpackage

That should just remove the package and leave the rest of the stuff. But with gsb being involved, I don't know if the risk is lessened.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 03:01:18 pm »

removepkg doesn't check dependencies so it will remove just the desired package no matter what.  gslapt is supposed to remove any package which will break when its dependency is removed.   That's normal behavior and its only "overly aggressive" if people build on something other than a clean machine and get unneeded dependencies in the slack-required file.  gslapt/slapt-get is no different from apt (Debian) or rpm in that it depends on well built packages and sane repo maintenance.  Whenever there is a problem with gslapt I've found one of those two things failed, not gslapt itself.

The problem with gsb is simple:  everything depends on everything else.  Even though AbiWord is a VL package, not a gsb package, there is a gsb package for an older version of AbiWord.  The gdm (GNOME display manager) package, in reality, depends on X and not much else.  The gsb package says it needs AbiWord.  That's nonsense but if you look at the slack-required file it's there.  So... if you remove AbiWord then gslapt thinks that gdm won't work.  If it won't work it needs to be removed, right?

gsb is a mistake that the core developers have said they won't repeat.

So... GrannyGeek's advice is excellent.  The reasons its necessary have nothing to do with jaos' gslapt code, which is also excellent.

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:46:19 pm »

Please, what's gsb stand for?

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:04:59 pm »

gsb = GNOME SlackBuild

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 05:34:11 pm »

The problem with gsb is simple:  everything depends on everything else.  Even though AbiWord is a VL package, not a gsb package, there is a gsb package for an older version of AbiWord.  The gdm (GNOME display manager) package, in reality, depends on X and not much else.  The gsb package says it needs AbiWord.  That's nonsense but if you look at the slack-required file it's there.  So... if you remove AbiWord then gslapt thinks that gdm won't work.  If it won't work it needs to be removed, right?

gsb is a mistake that the core developers have said they won't repeat.

Could this be fixed with some sort of update or will we have to struggle with this until VL 7 Standard comes out in a year or so? VL 6 is so good, it's a shame it has to be marred by this slipup.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:58 pm »

Could this be fixed with some sort of update or will we have to struggle with this until VL 7 Standard comes out in a year or so? VL 6 is so good, it's a shame it has to be marred by this slipup.
--GrannyGeek

We are in the process with experimenting to build our own gnome so these headaches won't raise their ugly heads. If anyone has tried to build gnome you know it's a daunting task involving some 300 packages. So bear with us till we get this thing figured out.

Cheers,
Vec
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 07:02:34 pm »

Yes GrannyGeek, I think I won't make this mistake twice. I usually do things
from the command line. Did I become lazy? And how me box was ruined. I could
have almost cried having it built for my needs and I was really happy with it.

Since a lot of program were just gone or did not start anymore, even gslapt I used
pkgtool to rebuilt, going from repo to repo and installing/upgrade packages I needed/
wanted. I was amazed over the number of progams which are there.

I am using gnome-2.24.1 which I get from http://www.slacky.eu/. I make a hosted iso.
They have a nice install.sh script with which I could as well uninstall this time all and then reinstall.
I had no problems with this gnome version whatsoever.

Now I do not know what to call my box anymore. It's not anymore light for sure, somewhat
VL-6.0-STD, may be VL-6.0-MV for My Version.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 09:45:17 pm »

Years ago before the days of GSlapt, I used whatever tool VL then had to remove some package. It proceeded to remove all kinds of files and I couldn't start a functioning window manager.  I knew a lot less about managing Linux then than I do now (not that I know much now  Smiley  ), so I wiped out the partition and installed the version of SOHO that was current at the time.

Ever since that experience, I've preferred to use removepkg because I know what it's going to uninstall.

I'm glad you got things back to being functional.
--GrannyGeek

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:44:38 am »

It just seems a bit easier to miss what's going on in gslapt, because one has to click to see the list of packages that are going to be removed. It's when you go for that kind of automatic "yes" clicking that an installation can get ruined just like that. "slapt-get --remove" is a bit more "in your face" in showing what packages are disappearing.

Then if one is not happy and only wants to remove a single package, I go for removepkg as well.
(an alternative is "slapt-get --remove --no-dep", which used to segfault in 5.9, but jaos said this was going to be fixed. I assume in VL6 this is no longer a problem).

I think it would be nice for a message to show up in gslapt saying that more than you asked for is being removed, so that you could then choose whether the "--no-dep" option should be passed to slapt-get.

Another good way to check what is being removed in gslapt is to look at the number of packages that are going out (at the bottom). In the gslapt versions in the 5.9 repo, this also included packages that weren't even installed. But I think this has also been fixed in the most recent versions of gslapt.

In the end, it's all about being careful... but with requiredbuilder sometimes picking up all sorts of things as dependencies, a disastrous move can happen easily. Some time ago, even nvidia drivers were being picked as dependencies for some packages...
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:23:08 pm »

This is why we insist on packages built on a clean system.  If packagers follow the packaging rules (clean system) and use requiredbuilder the results are uniformly excellent.

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »

Found out yesterday that even cups was gone and I could not find it in the repos,
only an old version 1.2.9.

Had to do with the one from slackware cups-1.3.9-i486-1.tgz. I thought I had seen that
one in VL-6.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: