VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 11:45:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum search function  (Read 3652 times)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« on: February 26, 2009, 03:50:37 am »

Is it only me?

I can't get anything useful using the forum search feature.  it seems to be half broken.

Shouldn't we take a look at it? For the moment I use google to search vl forums.

The search textbox at the top right side does not work at all, i tried searching for
Vector linux in Acer Aspire one , "Vector linux in Acer Aspire one" and all combinations I could think of, and no results to what I was looking for (http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7330.0)

Search tab sometimes give more accurate answers sometimes not.   Searching by users is totally broken too.

If we want to keep new users here, I think having a good forum search tool is a big point.  We have a huge wealth of knowledge here, but it's hardly accessible.

What do you think,  dear vectorites?

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:44:23 am »

I rarely got any relevant responses from that search.  It was more productive to open each message to see if it might mention something that I was looking for.  And I saw occasional notes about this issue by this method last fall while looking for something else.  I gave up on search very quickly; 100 - 500 hits that had nothing to do with the pattern!

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:37:01 am »

This is what I did:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.vectorlinux.com+%22forum+search%22

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:32:12 am »

Same pattern here. I have to use Google to search this forum instead of using the forum's own search function. I think it discourages new users from searching and may significantly raise the amount of repetitively asked questions.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:43 am »

I never have problems using the search feature of the board.  I just tested it because I couldn't recall ever having troubles and it worked great - all results were relevant to my search ('xorg nvidia').  I've always used the 'Search' navigation link (Home Help Search Profile etc..).  I then realized there is the actual search field/button to the upper-right. I ran the same search and came back with no results.

To summarize: The search feature from the page navigation works fine. The embedded search field to the upper-right does not work. I would say just remove the embedded search field/button, and leave the navigation option.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:50:31 am by newtor » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »

OK I searched around the board admin added a function to search see if it works better now..............let me know?

Thanks,
Vec
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 05:33:14 am »

Looks good now. The searches I tried turned up relevant results.  Smiley
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:50 am »

It is working much better now!!

The embedded search feature (by design) will search only the thread you happen to be looking at; of course, if you're at the home forum page then it will search all forums.  For instance, if you're looking at a thread and then query a search phrase, the function will only search within the thread you're currently viewing. This makes sense and once you realize this is how that feature works then it's easy to deal with.

Thanks again!
sqisteve
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:00:49 am »

We (SQI) have updated the embedded search to use our search technology called KnowledgeDex. It will now search across not only the forum posts, but also pages in the Information Center. It is based on Apache Lucene and is a full search engine with many of the advanced features you would expect. Please give it a try. The original search is still available through the menu.

If you would like more information about the search technology and features available, go to:

http://sqi-inc.com/ic/Glossary/KnowledgeDex

-Steve at SQI
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »

We (SQI) have updated the embedded search to use our search technology called KnowledgeDex. It will now search across not only the forum posts, but also pages in the Information Center. It is based on Apache Lucene and is a full search engine with many of the advanced features you would expect. Please give it a try. The original search is still available through the menu.

If you would like more information about the search technology and features available, go to:

http://sqi-inc.com/ic/Glossary/KnowledgeDex

-Steve at SQI

I've tried a couple of searches that gave bogus results previously, and now they seem to work pretty well!

Thank you very much Steve (and the whole SQI team).  Nice work!

Btw, yeah, lucene is pretty cool.  I knew about its existance but never saw it at work.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 05:20:58 pm »

Thanks; this really needed "fixing".

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
sqisteve
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:01:44 pm »

Now tickets are searchable by anonymous users. The tickets are cleaned up for public viewing. This way, problems solved by the paid support can be read by anyone. A quick search for 'wireless' brings up some good results.

- Steve at SQI
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 06:10:08 am »

Nice work. This makes the forum that much more useful. Thank you very much!
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 03:00:11 pm »

Wheewee! --- two power searches, two problems solved.

Thank You!

- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 10:08:56 am »

The knowledgedex search isn't working for me now. It used to but now it's not.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: