VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 10:09:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE in 6.0 Std  (Read 5739 times)
radio_silence

« on: February 26, 2009, 06:15:26 pm »

I'm trying to work in gui only, using the 2 Deluxe cds (no on-line repositories)
Its been touted that KDE wm is available as part of the deluxe package.
Can someone direct a CLI incompentent noob how to install KDE4 using the above restrictions?
CS isn't knowledgable to direct me in the 'how to', and I'm beginning to think its not possible, but I'm happy to be shown otherwise.

For the record, I've been putzing on my own for about 3 yr with vector and asst other distros seeking to completely migrate from windows.
My ultimate goals are to backup and install palm software, use Bible study software, and surf and stream without Norton.  For most distros I can get everything but a hotsync with palm.
Someday I'd love to achieve windows freedom, but I'm near ready to pay for Norton instead.  Once I have the above issue dealt with, I hope to start learning about jpilot.

ToshSat330cds_233Mhz_96Mb_4Gb-VLL5.9Final
IBMnetvista_2Ghz_1Gb_30Gb-VL5.9.1/MSxp
ToshSatPro4600_700Mhz_512MB_20Gb-VL5.9.1/MSnt
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:47:43 pm »

I'm trying to work in gui only, using the 2 Deluxe cds (no on-line repositories)
Its been touted that KDE wm is available as part of the deluxe package.
Can someone direct a CLI incompentent noob how to install KDE4 using the above restrictions?
CS isn't knowledgable to direct me in the 'how to', and I'm beginning to think its not possible, but I'm happy to be shown otherwise.

For the record, I've been putzing on my own for about 3 yr with vector and asst other distros seeking to completely migrate from windows.
My ultimate goals are to backup and install palm software, use Bible study software, and surf and stream without Norton.  For most distros I can get everything but a hotsync with palm.
Someday I'd love to achieve windows freedom, but I'm near ready to pay for Norton instead.  Once I have the above issue dealt with, I hope to start learning about jpilot.

Before you start trying to work with JPilot, post a message. There are things you need to do that aren't well documented. Once you know what to do, it should be easy. What version of PalmOS are you using? My only experience is with PalmOS 4.1. I use a Sony Clie SJ22 and hotsync a few times a week.

Are you sure you want KDE 4.2? I've just had a very bad experience, but it might be because I installed a few KDE packages from the Deluxe CD but not all the KDE packages. I think I'd go with KDE 3.x that's in the repos because it won't break things like K3B, which are already installed in VL 6.

Why so adamant about GUI-only? Sometimes the command line is easier.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:40:59 pm »

The key to a successful KDE 4.2 install is to install all 55 packages.  Don't do it piecemeal.  You can set your sources in gslapt to include the CD-ROM.  It's actually the first item listed in the source list.

k3b is not supported in KDE4.  If you want k3b to work you will need to use the command line at least a little.  You'll need to install kdelibs for KDE4 with the commands:

Code:
su -
slapt-get --noupgrade kdelibs

So long as you've enabled the CD-ROM as a source this will work and the two versions of kdelibs will install side-by-side.  You will also have to make a symlink for libdvdread.  If you decide to go this route post when you've got all of KDE 4.2 installed and I'll give you the requisite commands.

None of this is necessary and you can safely install KDE4 if you don't care about k3b.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
radio_silence

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:39:24 am »

When I started with 5.8SOHO,  I loved it and used it consistently until my wife could no longer
get her tv stream/facebooks apps dependably.
w/i 2yrs of starting use, there is no longer support, by the next cycle, I may be on dial up -hence wanting to work off cd only

I reeaallly want to share vector linux with friends as a windows alternative -which means minimal to no CLI

SO, I've tried installing all 55-64 (poor counting skills) kde related apps from repository
No dependencies were missing, but after gui login I get a message regarding 'no kstartupconfig'
(this is different than last time, which resulted in a bare, checker-pattern unresponsive desktop)
Any suggestions?

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:19:54 am »

I honestly don't know.  What I did (which did work) is:

1.  Installed mysql from the repository
2.  cd into each of the kde directories on the second iso and in each directory, as root, did:

installpkg *.tlz

Yes, that has to be done at the command line.  Sorry, Linux is not Windows.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:28:29 pm »

Caitlyn, would you expound upon those instructions some please?  I think it may be right, but I'm just missing the step of how to update kdelibs.

I've hit the checkerboard start like radio_silence has, however when I installed mysql from the online repos then disabled those and did the installpkg trick like Caitlyn said, I had things ALMOST working.

Only thing is the whole startup theme gets lost and it still hangs at log in / choosing sessions.

So, any more light that can be shed would be most appreciated, ma'am.

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
radio_silence

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »

Following Caitlyn's instructions kde4 install went smoothly.
If its not too much touble Sty, a total reinstall may do the trick
(it took me 3 tries to get it working right)

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:04:47 pm »

Sty:  You don't want to update kdelibs.  You want to install them side-by-side with kdelibs-3.5.10.  I think that is perhaps the point you are missing.  If you use installpkg to do the installation that happens automagically.  No special options are required. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: