Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cannot login as root VL 6  (Read 1166 times)

Cannot login as root VL 6
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:43:01 pm »

I have just installed VL6 as a guest system in Virtualbox 2.1 on a windows xp box. Install went smoothly. Entered administrator password, set up user account, etc. However, once the system is booted, I cannot login as root. Trying to access VASM after entering password, I get this error message:

Failed to run /usr/bin/vasmCC as user root. Failed to communicate with gksu-run-helper. Sorry.

I get the same message when trying to logon as root.

Any ideas? I know everything in virtualbox is set correctly. I have installed numerous other distros without a problem.

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Cannot login as root VL 6
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »

Hi wahfun;

I am running VL6.0 in Virtual Box 2.1.4 for Linux hosts. Sorry no experience with the windows host version.

I have a couple questions. Did you use the text installer or the gui installer?  What size of partition did you allocate for /root?
For what it is worth, I used the gui installer and gave 8gigs for /root. I know that's generous, but that's my preference.
I've installed this way on two machines and both are working as should.
Just my 2bits worth, hope it helps.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....