VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:43:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vl6 fluxbox and packages  (Read 3151 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:42 pm »

Hi..I just installed VL6-std gold final..looks good so far..

I have two questions regarding fluxbox

question one is.. where can I download fluxbox for 6 and are there depends? I have installed 6 to a newer unit and it is not yet connected to the net..so I am downloading and installing via thumb drive....

question two is...is space the only reason fluxbox was not included? and are there reasons why it is sided for lxde and icewm...this appears common amoung the new releases...I guess I was curious if it were more vulnerable or antiquated in some way as its look and use are addictively simple and a refreshing change from microsoft type looks imho...just curious

also can some 5.9 packages work on 6 or will they all have to be replaced...

nice work

cheers

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:37:35 pm »

A VL 6.0 Fluxbox package is in the extra repo.  You can use gslapt or slapt-get to install it once you get on the net.  You do not want to just download packages and install them manually.  I'm not sure off hand what dependencies fluxbox has but I'm sure it has some.  gslapt and slapt-get resolve dependencies automatically.

Whether or not 5.9 packages will work is hit or miss.  You want to use 6.0 packages. 

Vector Linux has always been limited to a single iso.  The choice of which desktop to use is either what's popular within the community or what the developers think is best.  In any case fluxbox was not eliminated.  It's still in the repository and can be easily installed.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »

Thanks...I guess..
I must have been the only one who enjoyed fluxbox on 5.9 and am compelled to forget it
I know it is available as I already ask.. but I am testing 6 on a computer with no modem and had not intended to work on that..it was used for multi media and did not require a connection...I will install later to the box that is connected to the net..perhaps

I see no reason not to download and install programs if one knows the additional packages required..naturally if they are many one may choose to avoid it....a backup set of add-ons with the install cd is a natural desire for me..it requires no internet connection to install and add programs I like to use which have been packaged for the system..any I choose to use generally only have one or two depends.. if any....this box had the MMSD and several add-ons which I had as a personal solutions disk for 5.9.

I perhaps should avoid installs to these boxs? and only install to ones I intend to connect to the internet. this would allow any add-on packages to be downloaded each time I install ..what can I say?
...sorry...thankyou.

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »

I don't know of any Linux distribution where you can use the repositories effectively without internet connectivity.  If you insist on doing that here is what you have to do:

1.  Go to the VL 6.0 source repository and find the sources for the fluxbox package.  It should be under veclinux-6.0/source/extra/x-apps/fluxbox

2.  Go into the folder for the most recent version.

3.  Look at (or copy) the slack-required file.  That is the complete list of dependencies.

4.  Check that list against the list of packages on the machine in question.  You can find the list either visually in gslapt with the search function or by grep'ing through /var/log/packages

5.  For any missing dependencies you need to go back to the source repository and find them to make sure that the dependencies don't have dependencies of their own.  Repeat steps 1-4 for each missing dependency.

6.  Download all the dependency packages you need and the fluxbox package for VL 6.0.

7.  Sneakernet them to the computer in question and install.

IMHO it would be much easier for you to stick with VL 5.9 which is still fully suppported or else switch to a distro which uses fluxbox as their default desktop.  There are several of those.

OTOH, if you have a computer with broadband capability and a few gigs of space you could simply mirror the entire VL 6.0 repo on your local network and then point gslapt to your local repo.  I've done that with Red Hat for many clients who don't want to access packages across the firewalll from outside sources. 

I doubt you are the only one who likes fluxbox.  I really like PewWM for my older, slower machines.  It isn't a default package either. 

I know that is not the answer you wanted but it is reality.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:06:57 pm »

One other possibility which may be a little easier.  Do you have a VL 6.0 machine with internet connectivity and with fluxbox already installed?  If so everything you have downloaded and installed is in
 /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages   That would include fluxbox and any and all dependencies required.  You can get your packages from there.  You will still need to look through the slack-required files to know what they are but working with the much smaller set of packages you have installed on that box will speed the process quite a bit.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:15:43 pm »

Possibility #3:  Do you have a machine with internet connectivity and one without?  If I understand you that is the situation.  Do both cards have ethernet cards (NICs)?  Are they connected on a local network through a hub or switch?  If not can you get a crossover cable to connect them together directly?  If you can network the two machines you can share the internet connection.  Yes, that can work for dial-up as well as broadband.  Then you can use the repository properly.  That would be an easier solution still.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »

well that is a compelling arguement for xfce...I will play by myself in a fantasy world...lol
cheers
 Smiley

Everything Is Relative
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »

For me its fluxbox, fluxbox all the way for a few years and the first thing I do in VL-Gold or Light
to install it. I installed with gslapt both in VL-6-Gold/Light. Have as well the 1.1.1 version in
in /usr/local, however, not on x  in /usr/local/bin.

It is running just fine as expected and for me in combo with the xfce4-panel.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:50:02 pm »

Hi
I downloaded and installed via thumb and connected then downloaded and installed via gslapt..both are a single tiny file of 625 odd...no depends were gathered...If I choose tui at boot I can log in and startx to load fluxbox..it is naturally not the same...

will the wmdrawer be made available for vl6?

I installed the 5.9 but it gives an error for..I think libpix-buff.so2 or something...the file appears installed..could be more specific but it is an old package and may not be expected to work.

can wmdrawer be added to openbox? I think openbox has a dock but I do not know how to configure the menu yet....

if dockables are available for openbox I would like to try it..

thanks for any

cheers

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:07:10 pm »

I can't answer all of what you asked but I can answer some:

The results you got with the VL 5.9 package is to be expected.  Many (most?) simply won't work because core libraries are different in VL 5.9 than in VL 6.0.  You really need to use (or make) VL 6 packages.

You might want to post your request for wmdrawer in the new package requests section of the forum so that the volunteer packagers can see it.  We have more volunteer packagers now than ever but some (many?) may not see this thread if they don't do a lot of technical support.

For the rest someone who uses fluxbox and/or openbox will have to answer.

-Cait

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:47:56 pm »

thanks for the confirmation..xfce is a usual effortless,
 so I would like to give openbox a shot..but would miss the drawer...will post my desire...
thanks
cheers

Everything Is Relative
lm8
Packager

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:30 am »

can wmdrawer be added to openbox? I think openbox has a dock but I do not know how to configure the menu yet....

if dockables are available for openbox I would like to try it..

You can use the exact same dockable apps you use in Fluxbox with Openbox.  The same applications will work in any window manager that supports them.  The only real difference I'm finding between Fluxbox and Openbox besides the panel is that Fluxbox uses a bit less memory on my machine.  Openbox menus seem to be more intuitive for navigating though.

Don't know if there are any packages for dockable apps built for VL 6.0 in the repository.  There is source for several dockable apps (that's source code only) here:
http://dockapps.org/
Am trying to build wmfishtime and minicontrol and package them.  It may take me a while, because they're set up to use the gtk1 libraries by default and I'm attempting to patch them for the gtk2 libraries.

I also have obconf and tint compiled on my machine.  If there's any interest, I can package them as well, but didn't find it worth doing so just for myself.  Still not sure if I need a panel in Openbox.  I really just need the time and date which was the reason I was looking at wmfishtime and minicontrol.
lm8
Packager

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:33:10 am »

I think openbox has a dock but I do not know how to configure the menu yet....

Forgot to mention, there are some configuration programs for openbox.  One is obconf.  There are also some menu configuration programs I haven't tried out yet.  You can edit configuration files in a text editor like you can for fluxbox.  Only difference is they're in XML format instead of simple text.  The configuration files are in a subdirectory under your home directory just like with fluxbox (under .config/openbox).  More info on openbox and configuration should be available here:
http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Main_Page
Have to admit, I like the fluxbox documentation better though.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:05:59 am »

One possible panel is fbpanel which is already in the extra repository.  I'm using it with PekWM but it works equally well with Openbox.  I probably will package PyPanel and fspanel as well.

I do think it would be worthwhile to package obconf.  I'm just not sure when I'll get around to it Smiley

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »

I used wmix, wmdrawer,wmCalClock top center, auto hide in fluxbox...the wmix and wmCalClock as noted from dockables will make install on vl6 but the drawer has as noted an issue with gdk...if you need date and time or a mixer they are worth a look...I posted a screenshot of them in the lounge under 5.9 shots...personally I seem to have lost interest..everyone I show fluxbox too either says "SO" or where is the start button so it appears to be a personal desire for point and click that will never be replaced..everything is fleeting..I will have to conform to the microsoft start button and vl6 with xfce is as good a place to start as any I guess.
cheers
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:08:31 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: