VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 08:56:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to disable pcmanfm? [SOLVED]  (Read 3797 times)
Apeman

« on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:29 am »

Hi all,
Does anybody know how to disable pcmanfm in VL60 Light B2?
I removed it using Gslapt in VL59 Light but there must be a better way how to prevent it from running?
Thanks for your advices.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:12:57 am by Apeman » Logged

Toshiba Libretto 100CT @233MHz, 32 MB RAM
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:57:04 am »

what exactly do you mean?
If you mean the desktop i cons, you can disable them from pcmanfm
make sure pcmanfm is started with the --no-desktop option

You can also remove it from your xsession file and that will prevent it from ever showing a desktop on start up, but you must make sure you run it with the --no-desktop option every time you use it. Otherwise, it will put the desktop on for you.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:37:22 am »

Much of Light's functionality is built around pcmanfm. Removing it will break several features.

To change the default settings, first open pcmanfm, click Edit > Preferences > Desktop and un-check the box for "Mangage the desktop and show file icons"

Next, prevent it from starting with the window managers by editing the following files:
~/.icewm/startup: Remove or comment out the line with "pcmanfm &"
~/.jwmrc: Remove the line with "pcmanfm -d"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:44:08 am by nightflier » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:04:37 am »

PCManFM also enables easy access to mounted USB devices so IMHO you are doing yourself a disservice by reomving it.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Apeman

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:41:49 am »

Next, prevent it from starting with the window managers by editing the following files:
~/.icewm/startup: Remove or comment out the line with "pcmanfm &"
~/.jwmrc: Remove the line with "pcmanfm -d"

Thanks nightflier. This is exactly what I needed.

Apeman

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:58:36 am »

PCManFM also enables easy access to mounted USB devices so IMHO you are doing yourself a disservice by reomving it.

Well that's true. But I have no USB port on my computer. So I'm not going to miss this helpful feature.

Acording to
Code:
pmap "pcmanfm process ID" | tail -1
pcmanfm takes circa 24MB of memory and it is too much when you have only 32MB RAM.
This is the reason why I want to disable pcmanfm.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:23:50 am »

when you have only 32MB RAM

Is this the old P-233 Laptop you mention here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7521.0 ?
It would be interesting to know what you do on that machine and how you judge the performance and usability of it.
lm8
Packager

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:14:57 am »

Acording to
Code:
pmap "pcmanfm process ID" | tail -1
pcmanfm takes circa 24MB of memory and it is too much when you have only 32MB RAM.
This is the reason why I want to disable pcmanfm.

Pcmanfm seems to be running slow and taking up a lot of memory on my 64 MB machine as well.  I've been mostly working without a file manager in Fluxbox or Openbox.  Are you using another file manager in place of pcmanfm?  Am curious to know if there's a good lightweight one that would make a nice alternative.  I've been looking at Worker, vifm and mc as possible alternatives, but may just stick to the command line in rxvt with some shell scripts for now. 

Would be very interested to hear what applications you're running that are working well for you in 32 MB.  I have been trying to upload some packages for more lighter weight applications (with more on the way) and am hoping they run decently on older machines with less RAM.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:25 am »

I had a 133MHz Pentium system with 32MB of RAM that finally died last year.  It was running a minimalist install of Ubuntu and was quite usable.  I used PekWM as the window manager (very low memory consumption) together with fbpanel.  Apps that were usable on that system included SIAG Office, Abiword, Gnumeric, Dillo, xcalc, xv, etc...  I used XFiler (from SIAG Office) for my file manager.  I suspect Xfe would have worked as well.

Vector Linux Light, as configured, won't run well at all in 32MB.  It can, however, be modified into an even lighter form that will work.

On my Toshiba Libretto SS-1010 with 64MB all of the above run well, as do Xfe, Adie, Pathfinder, and hv3.   Current versions of Abiword and Gnumeric are considerably heavier than the ones I was using a year or two ago.  SIAG Office is better but Abiword and Gnumeric are still usable.  Opera runs but it is very, very slow.  My OS:  VL 6.0 Light beta 2, desktop:  JWM.  pcmanfm is now disabled; it works but it tends to be slow.

Joe1962 pointed out that VL-Hot works without X.  It will still automount a USB device or a PCMCIA card.   It just won't pop an icon up onto the screen without pcmanfm.  Unmounting has to be done at the command line.  I'd bet someone could make VL-Hot work with xtdesk (used by Damn Small Linux to manage desktop icons) or even dfm.  That would be considerably less resource intensive than pcmanfm.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
radio_silence

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:12 am »

I use my VLL laptop at school to write notes and cross-reference Bible passages
All apps I have tried work well (opera works ok, but machine is too slow for streaming)
-Abiword takes care of all my notes
-my Bible program is e-sword via wine (a little slow, but ok)
-xfe is my default file manager (I transfer files between folders using two panel view)

ToshSat330cds_233Mhz_96Mb_4Gb-VLL5.9Final
IBMnetvista_2Ghz_1Gb_30Gb-VL5.9.1/MSxp
ToshSatPro4600_700Mhz_512MB_20Gb-VL5.9.1/MSnt
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 10:08:29 am »

@radio_silence:  Another file manager you might like is 4Pane.  It doesn't have the dependency on the FOX toolkit that Xfe has.  Otherwise the two are very similar in style.

BTW, I should have added xfi (image editor) and xfw (text editor) to things that work very well in 64MB of RAM.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Apeman

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:12:33 am »

when you have only 32MB RAM

Is this the old P-233 Laptop you mention here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7521.0 ?
It would be interesting to know what you do on that machine and how you judge the performance and usability of it.

Yes it is.
And here is a small report:
I used Abiword and Gnumeric to make reports at school, xmms as an audioplayer, xpdf as a pdf viewer and old gtk1 based Konqueror embedded for viewing the web, everything was pretty fast on DeLi linux, but I had serious problems with rt61 WiFi stability on 2.4 kernel. This distro was several years maitained by only one man Henry Jensen (almost god for me) but he left this project probably due to lack of time, so I moved to VL Light. VL Light is less lightweight but the suport is great.

A custom kernel speeds things up (probably due to slightly smaller memory footprint).
GDM and KDM are too slooooooow to be useful. IceWM and JWM without pcmanfm works fine. Instead of pcmanfm I use XNC (X Northern Captain) and XFM, both are pretty lightweight. XNC is faster and I love file managers with two panels but it isn't maitained anymore.

Opera and Firefox are useless. I use Dillo to browse the web and HV3 for more complicated pages.
xpdf is fast enough.
SIAG Office isn't very useful because of poor MS Office and odt format compatibility. But for some remarks and basic calculations it is sufficient.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: