VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:41:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux-to-Windows file sharing  (Read 10533 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: March 02, 2009, 08:50:37 am »

Thanks MOE-lnx for Howto: Easy Linux-to-Windows file sharing using thunar.

Everything went well until
Cannot modify the share:

'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare add: cannot convert name "Everyone" to a SID. Wrong Password
even after I created user 'Everyone' with no password and removed a file in that folder owned by root.

The folder is in /home/bruce and I set all permissions to it and its contents to read-write.  Where do I go from here?

edit: sorry! I thought I was in the Networking area Cry
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:53:40 am by StrayBit » Logged

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:29 am »

Did you create a new user account ?

You shouldn't need to do that..
if you need any user accounts at all it should be in the samba server .. you can make these using this command

Code:
smbpasswd -a <your_user_name>
Try that and let me know

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:16:04 am »

I had added user everyone.  I'll remove it.

Tried
smbpasswd -a bruce
and
smbpasswd -a everyone

no change.  And I did verify that smbd and nmbd were running.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:33 am »

edit: sorry! I thought I was in the Networking area Cry

Moved to appropriate location  Smiley
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:03:32 am »

can you gimmie the details of what you're doing?
I just did this
Home -> create new directory ("net usershare")
right-click net usershare -> share -> apply -> Ok
everything works here.

At what point did you get this error?

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:59:13 am »

Thanks nightflier.

~/grandfatherclock/ was created when I (as user) extracted grandfatherclock-1.0.1.tar.gz.  At the moment, it is the only folder in my home directory.

right-click  grandfatherclock -> properties -> share check all 3 boxes -> Apply -> "Share name too long. Some old clients may have problems to access it, continue anyway?" Ok ->
Cannot modify the share:

'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare add: cannot convert name "Everyone" to a SID. Wrong Password

I also tried creating a new folder, on applying share, I got "Thunar needs to modify some permissions" (or some such) which I Ok'd then I get
Cannot modify the share:

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:33 am »

I wonder where thie "Everyone" string is coming from...

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:35 pm »

That was appearing even before I created that user - in fact, that's why I did.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:23:39 pm »

My wild guess is that there is something wrong with your samba setup... I've never seen that

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:08:55 pm »

I haven't found a method to mount the shares from Windows in VL6.  In 5.9 I used pyNeighborhood and vlsmbmount.  I do, however, have the Windows machine mounted via a cifs in fstab.  I'm starting another topic on nfs errors that I'm getting on both machines.

One possibility, I suppose, would be to reinstall 6.0.  One thing I noted with my 5.9 cd, however, was that every time I installed, I had a different set of issues - even on the same machine!

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 03:11:13 pm »

May be totally irrelevant:
'Everyone' is a default group for most windows versions.  Perhaps this is somehow coming into play when trying to set appropriate network share persmissions on straybits system since his network contains windows workstations, but not on moe's which doesn't contain windows workstations (is that true moe?). Then again, maybe I'm wayyyyyy out in left field Cheesy
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 05:09:31 pm »

Not familiar with how Thunar interacts with Samba, but I did do some testing with vlsmbmnt in 6.0 Std. To make it work, I had to install "bind" and add or modify these files: http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vlsmbmnt-files.tlz
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:22 pm »

I find that vlsmbmnt is allready installed.  Since I didn't see it in the menu, I had assumed it wasn't.
root:# vlsmbmnt
Rescan
Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
Mounting [\\HUMAN\WinDos] at [/root/mnt/HUMAN-WinDos]
Thunar: Failed to connect to the D-BUS session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(thunar:21559): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'TspProvider'.

(thunar:21559): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(thunar:21559): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
\\HUMAN\WinDos is now installed mounted, vlsmbmnt message box did not reappear, and the command prompt did not return (I should have end the command with a '&'?

I also attempted to put it into the menu but the menu editor only showed half or less of the menu and the entry did not appear in it - perhaps I need to log out and back in?

Also, I find it odd that the Epson Stylus C60 attached to this machine (Compaq) is listed as being on Human???
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:52:03 pm by StrayBit » Logged

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:04:28 pm »

I tried vlsmbmnt from the cli again, this time with out su.  Worked like it is supposed to with out the extra errors.  One nice thing is that the cli also reports what is happening.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:22:47 pm »

Sounds like you installed nightflyers package, otherwise you shouldn't have been able to launch vlsmbmnt at all without being root.
Looks like you were generating the same error I was.
It's easy to put nightflyers package into the filesystem, I made a video tutorial (because thats the way I roll)
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/Trouble-Shooting/sambafix/sambafix.htm
Hope it helps.
PS, I still was not able to get the thunar-shares-plugin to do it's thing.  So if you do let me know.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: