VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 02:08:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: {SOLVED} VL6 and Chestnut Dialer (dialup issues)...  (Read 1707 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: March 03, 2009, 01:39:08 pm »

I used VL 5.9 for awhile...and really liked it,...but had a few problems with the Chestnut-Dialer. 
Just installed VL 6 on my older computer,...and it certainly is good!  Detected the older Nvidia card right away,...and installed the driver without a hitch!!! (impressive).   I have another computer I'd like to put VL 6 on,...but I am having a bit of trouble with the dial-up.   I can get on the internet (just like I did with VL 5.9) by first going to terminal and typing:

/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer

Then the Chestnut dialer would work.   By any chance, has another way been found for VL 6 to connect dialup to the internet?   Would something like downloading Wvdial (or another dialup program) work?  Maybe there is a way to get a "button" on the desktop (instead of having to go to terminal).....
Just looking for ways to make using dialup a little easier,......(but I really do think VL 6 is outstanding!)...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:39:52 pm by nitehawk » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:25:49 pm »

The reason it doesn't work from the menu is an error in the chestnut-dialer.desktop file in /usr/share/applications.  (Yes, this is a bug.)  If you fix that it will work from the menu and you can add a desktop icon easily as well.

As root, open /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop in your favorite text editor.  Look for a line that reads:

Code:
Exec=chestnut-dialer

Change that line to read:

Code:
Exec=/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer

The menu entry will then work properly.

To create a desktop shortcut you can open any file manager as root (Thunar or pcmanfm both work) and copy the /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop file to the Desktop folder under your home directory.

That's it!

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:32:38 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply!
Glad to see the solution,....(I'm trying that right now)..
no,...I think I'll install VL 6 on my other computer first  Grin

I can't believe how fast it runs on an old PIII--384ram--933Mhz--40G hd.....
It should run even faster on my other old PIII--512ram--1Ghz--160G & 40G hds. (both computers have older Nvidia Gforce2 mx400 video cards)...so that makes VL 6 even MORE of a plus for them!

EDIT:  OK,...Now I have it on both computers,...& thanks, caitlyn,..that solution to the Chestnut-Dialer is working very well,.......
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:39:16 pm by nitehawk » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: