VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: {SOLVED} VL6 and Chestnut Dialer (dialup issues)...  (Read 1903 times)

nitehawk

• Vectorite
  • Just me.
{SOLVED} VL6 and Chestnut Dialer (dialup issues)...
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:39:08 pm »

I used VL 5.9 for awhile...and really liked it,...but had a few problems with the Chestnut-Dialer. 
Just installed VL 6 on my older computer,...and it certainly is good!  Detected the older Nvidia card right away,...and installed the driver without a hitch!!! (impressive).   I have another computer I'd like to put VL 6 on,...but I am having a bit of trouble with the dial-up.   I can get on the internet (just like I did with VL 5.9) by first going to terminal and typing:

/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer

Then the Chestnut dialer would work.   By any chance, has another way been found for VL 6 to connect dialup to the internet?   Would something like downloading Wvdial (or another dialup program) work?  Maybe there is a way to get a "button" on the desktop (instead of having to go to terminal).....
Just looking for ways to make using dialup a little easier,......(but I really do think VL 6 is outstanding!)...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:39:52 pm by nitehawk »

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: VL6 and Chestnut Dialer (dialup issues)...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:25:49 pm »

The reason it doesn't work from the menu is an error in the chestnut-dialer.desktop file in /usr/share/applications.  (Yes, this is a bug.)  If you fix that it will work from the menu and you can add a desktop icon easily as well.

As root, open /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop in your favorite text editor.  Look for a line that reads:

Code: [Select]
Exec=chestnut-dialer
Change that line to read:

Code: [Select]
Exec=/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer
The menu entry will then work properly.

To create a desktop shortcut you can open any file manager as root (Thunar or pcmanfm both work) and copy the /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop file to the Desktop folder under your home directory.

That's it!
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

nitehawk

• Vectorite
  • Just me.
Re: VL6 and Chestnut Dialer (dialup issues)...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:32:38 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply!
Glad to see the solution,....(I'm trying that right now)..
no,...I think I'll install VL 6 on my other computer first  ;D

I can't believe how fast it runs on an old PIII--384ram--933Mhz--40G hd.....
It should run even faster on my other old PIII--512ram--1Ghz--160G & 40G hds. (both computers have older Nvidia Gforce2 mx400 video cards)...so that makes VL 6 even MORE of a plus for them!

EDIT:  OK,...Now I have it on both computers,...& thanks, caitlyn,..that solution to the Chestnut-Dialer is working very well,.......
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:39:16 pm by nitehawk »