VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 01:59:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6 Light as a Gateway???  (Read 3269 times)
gamfa
Vectorite

« on: February 19, 2009, 03:07:44 pm »

I want to set up a desktop machine as a gateway to share my internet with my laptops. I remembered an entry in the VASM menus to help do this. I migrated through VASM to the item..clicked it...and all I get is a man page for Xdialog V2.3.HuhHuh It didn't help at all. Is there something I need to Gslapt to my system to get the Gateway assistance I need for VL??

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »

Sounds like a worthy and fun project. I have done it on some Debian servers using Shorewall. Firestarter is another option.

In brief, you need two NIC's, dnsmasq, ipmasq and a dhcp server, plus configure any firewall to allow the traffic through.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:04 am »

Can it be done for a wireless net? I'm looking at 5 clients and the internet connection is a Sierra 875 Aircard which connects to AT&T's Laptop Connect service. Two of the clients are Win XP and my 3 are multi-boot Ms/Linux. If I can get it working, the next hurdle for me will be to get signal 900ft across the road to my neighbor.

What about the "Gateway" dialog in Vasm? Do I need to download something to get it to work in Light?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:03:58 am by gamfa » Logged

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:32:34 am »

Looks like you have found a bug. I can't get the "Gateway" function to work either.

So are you looking at using the Aircard for internet, then forward it via your Wifi card, or through a NIC to wireless router?
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:44:42 am »

My hope is that the gateway box will function as a gateway/router. There would be no ethernet nic involved. The modem would be mounted in the gateway/router box. It connects to the internet with pppd scripts. It's basically a wireless dial-up modem.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:49:38 am by gamfa » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:58 am »

There is also ready-to-use products like Ipcop. With VL you will have more fun though.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:56:47 am »

You will need two networking devices. Your Aircard will not receive the signal and re-transmit it to other clients.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:05 am »

You will need two networking devices. Your Aircard will not receive the signal and re-transmit it to other clients.

You are right, the Aircard cannot re-transmit the signal to the clients. I want the gateway/router to do that.

The Aircard is not a wifi device in this situation. It can be used that way also if you are at the local coffee shop that is an AT&T hotspot. That's not the case here. When inserted into a pc it becomes nothing more than a dialup modem. I can use Chestnut-dialer, Minicom or any other dial up app to connect to the AT&T cell phone tower. It is seen as "ppp0". I actually use chat scripts provided by Sierra to connect because the Aircard has a full complement of "at" commands to work with it just like a dialup device. A simple "pppd call gsm" hooks me up. All the client machines already have wireless capabilities. The desktop box I want to use as the gateway/router doesn't. I'll hang one off one of its usb ports to make it wireless capable. What I looking for I guess is...

client>>><<<gateway/router>>>><<<<ppp0

Are two wifi devices required in the gateway in this situation?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:30:29 am by gamfa » Logged

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:49 am »

Only one wifi device would be needed.

If there are any pre-packaged solutions for this purpose, I am unaware of them. Prepare to do some web searching, reading stuff like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuWirelessRouter
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:35 pm »

After reading the Ubuntu howto, I'm beginning to feel that what I would like to do might beyond my meager networking capabilities and knowledge. I'll go back to Mr. Google and keep searching though. It is a way learning. Thanks for the help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: