VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL 6 Light as a Gateway???  (Read 3424 times)

gamfa

• Vectorite
VL 6 Light as a Gateway???
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:07:44 pm »

I want to set up a desktop machine as a gateway to share my internet with my laptops. I remembered an entry in the VASM menus to help do this. I migrated through VASM to the item..clicked it...and all I get is a man page for Xdialog V2.3.?????? It didn't help at all. Is there something I need to Gslapt to my system to get the Gateway assistance I need for VL??
"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL 6 Light as a Gateway???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »

Sounds like a worthy and fun project. I have done it on some Debian servers using Shorewall. Firestarter is another option.

In brief, you need two NIC's, dnsmasq, ipmasq and a dhcp server, plus configure any firewall to allow the traffic through.

gamfa

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:04 am »

Can it be done for a wireless net? I'm looking at 5 clients and the internet connection is a Sierra 875 Aircard which connects to AT&T's Laptop Connect service. Two of the clients are Win XP and my 3 are multi-boot Ms/Linux. If I can get it working, the next hurdle for me will be to get signal 900ft across the road to my neighbor.

What about the "Gateway" dialog in Vasm? Do I need to download something to get it to work in Light?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:03:58 am by gamfa »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:32:34 am »

Looks like you have found a bug. I can't get the "Gateway" function to work either.

So are you looking at using the Aircard for internet, then forward it via your Wifi card, or through a NIC to wireless router?

gamfa

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:44:42 am »

My hope is that the gateway box will function as a gateway/router. There would be no ethernet nic involved. The modem would be mounted in the gateway/router box. It connects to the internet with pppd scripts. It's basically a wireless dial-up modem.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:49:38 am by gamfa »

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:58 am »

There is also ready-to-use products like Ipcop. With VL you will have more fun though.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:56:47 am »

You will need two networking devices. Your Aircard will not receive the signal and re-transmit it to other clients.

gamfa

• Vectorite
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:05 am »

You will need two networking devices. Your Aircard will not receive the signal and re-transmit it to other clients.

You are right, the Aircard cannot re-transmit the signal to the clients. I want the gateway/router to do that.

The Aircard is not a wifi device in this situation. It can be used that way also if you are at the local coffee shop that is an AT&T hotspot. That's not the case here. When inserted into a pc it becomes nothing more than a dialup modem. I can use Chestnut-dialer, Minicom or any other dial up app to connect to the AT&T cell phone tower. It is seen as "ppp0". I actually use chat scripts provided by Sierra to connect because the Aircard has a full complement of "at" commands to work with it just like a dialup device. A simple "pppd call gsm" hooks me up. All the client machines already have wireless capabilities. The desktop box I want to use as the gateway/router doesn't. I'll hang one off one of its usb ports to make it wireless capable. What I looking for I guess is...

client>>><<<gateway/router>>>><<<<ppp0

Are two wifi devices required in the gateway in this situation?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:30:29 am by gamfa »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:49 am »

Only one wifi device would be needed.

If there are any pre-packaged solutions for this purpose, I am unaware of them. Prepare to do some web searching, reading stuff like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuWirelessRouter

gamfa

• Vectorite
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:35 pm »

After reading the Ubuntu howto, I'm beginning to feel that what I would like to do might beyond my meager networking capabilities and knowledge. I'll go back to Mr. Google and keep searching though. It is a way learning. Thanks for the help.