VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 05:16:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector as a Server?  (Read 871 times)
bujums

« on: March 03, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

I am looking for an OS to act as a simple server... just to share files over a network & and backup files from XP computers.  I have a total of 5 XP machines that will use the server... no mail or print serving and the other computer will not be going through to reach the internet.  They will communicate via a router.  Will Vector work?  I know you have support but would you provide support for this type of server set up?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »

What kind of support are you looking for?  All the functionality you need for a file server is there.  VL offers forum and IRC support for free and I don't see why anyone wouldn't answer your questions.   I can't answer for the paid, per-incident e-mail support.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »

I have done this in the past with VL5.8 SOHO acting as a file server for 3 PCs. I had tried to set up a mail server as well but never got the functionality I wanted. So yes it can be done and there are a few threads that reference this (some are active currently).

I hope to soon be doing this again but keep delaying due to "busyness" with other things in life.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
bujums

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »

What kind of support are you looking for? 

I think the free support would be enough, and the people at this forum have always been the best for good advise.  I just thought I would ask about it since I am doing this at a business not just at home.
bujums

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:23:26 pm »

Ok, I think it might be something to experiment with... I like that there is so much documentation for Ubuntu but I am worried about all the limitations you get with you get with it... So I am just checking out my alternatives.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: