VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: vector as a Server?  (Read 944 times)

bujums

vector as a Server?
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

I am looking for an OS to act as a simple server... just to share files over a network & and backup files from XP computers.  I have a total of 5 XP machines that will use the server... no mail or print serving and the other computer will not be going through to reach the internet.  They will communicate via a router.  Will Vector work?  I know you have support but would you provide support for this type of server set up?

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: vector as a Server?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »

What kind of support are you looking for?  All the functionality you need for a file server is there.  VL offers forum and IRC support for free and I don't see why anyone wouldn't answer your questions.   I can't answer for the paid, per-incident e-mail support.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »

I have done this in the past with VL5.8 SOHO acting as a file server for 3 PCs. I had tried to set up a mail server as well but never got the functionality I wanted. So yes it can be done and there are a few threads that reference this (some are active currently).

I hope to soon be doing this again but keep delaying due to "busyness" with other things in life.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

bujums

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »

What kind of support are you looking for? 

I think the free support would be enough, and the people at this forum have always been the best for good advise.  I just thought I would ask about it since I am doing this at a business not just at home.

bujums

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:23:26 pm »

Ok, I think it might be something to experiment with... I like that there is so much documentation for Ubuntu but I am worried about all the limitations you get with you get with it... So I am just checking out my alternatives.  Thank you.