A few things to close.....
The direct iso installation of VL6...my way.
- I thoroughly read the documentation and did a little research on the OS I was goin' to transition to. (Not exactly a step but would definitely benefit you to know the inner workings of something that encourages you to use command lines to get things done).
- I Downloaded the VL6 iso and did an md5 checksum to insure that there would be no installation errors due to corrupted files.
- Then moved the downloaded iso to c: ,renamed it to 'VL6.ISO' and copied the files revelant for loadlin into 'c:\loadlin'
- Booted to DOS and used these commands to start the installer.
c:(this is where it reboots, sata kernel not compatible with my HD)
loadlin sata root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img
- (The VL6 Standard Gold iso did not provide all of the kernels I might have needed -only the sata kernel. I had an ide hard drive so i needed an ide kernel that was compatible with my hardware and the current version of VL). I obtained an ide kernel from VL5.0 in the repository inserted it into 'c:\loadlin'. Then used this command with loadlin in DOS-
loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img
- VL6 text based installer appeared but it couldn't find the VL6 iso on any of my partitions for some reason. I restored the original file name of the VL6 iso on 'c:' and went back into the installer (showing kernel version 2.4.27). VL6 installed to hard drive but the LILO installation crashed stating an error 'FATAL: kernel too old' which meant exactly that.
Just to ensure that the sata kernel might have worked I issued this command to try to boot into VL since it installed to the HD-
loadlin sata root=/dev/hda5 ro
.....didn't work. Then I replaced 'sata' with 'ide' and the kernel froze.
- Back into the installation I went, where I managed to install LILO to floppy. Then I booted to the diskette to hopefully log into VL. While loading, the kernel froze again and gave an error stating that I couldn't use the x-window interface and that the fonts couldn't be found. (The kernel really was too old and a VL reinstallation would be needed. I tried the text based interface as well but it wouldn't respond.)
- I learned the location of an ide kernel for VL6 which was in the VL6 Lite iso. I downloaded it, extracted the kernel and with it, replaced the older kernel from VL5.0.
- I used the command- 'loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img' to re-enter the text based installer ('kernel version 184.108.40.206'). There was an uninterupted, complete, error-free installation of VL6 and now here I am posting to this forum using the Opera browser on linux
(hope this could have been of any help to anyone)