VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 04:45:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Need help installing VL using the direct iso method  (Read 3584 times)
XKT

« on: March 06, 2009, 09:54:19 am »

Hi,
    I have a Dell Inpiron L550r pc that needs a refresher and I want to install VL6.0 on it (not dual boot). The thing is that my cd burner's not working and I do not have a pendrive with a capacity large enough to boot from it so I decided to do the direct iso installation method.

My specs...
500MHz Intel Pentium III Processor
191MB RAM
19GB Hardrive

I prepared the necessary partitions and tried to follow the instructions on how to do a direct iso on a windows host(I need help with this...-http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win) and also the instructions on using boot floppies to install VL-http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7363.0 on which after inserting the 3rd floppy, keep getting a prompt for a file 'initrd.003' which doesn't exist on the other disks.

If anyone has any info or suggestions on doing this install, it would be a appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:08:55 pm by XKT » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:43:17 am »

So you have W98 running on the box, and the VL ISO is in "C:\", renamed to VL60.ISO?
XKT

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:31 am »

Yes, I renamed the iso to 'VL60.ISO' but I have a problem using the commands in dos, also I never found the kernel file. I have an ide harddrive but I only found the sata kernel within the VL iso. I couln't find the file on the FTP site either
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »

the 'sata' kernal is the correct kernel for ide/sata/scsi
XKT

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:26:10 pm »

Ok, I suspected that it was the correct kernel but when I loadlin loads the img, the computer reboots then goes to windows(or dos if i'm using the boot disk). Also I wanted someone to explain what this command meant

loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img (had to replace 'ide' with 'sata' to get it to load the img)

and also, does '/dev/ram' mean that it will load the install from ram? If so I want the installation to be directly from the iso on c:
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:15:47 pm »

/dev/ram means it will load the necessary files into memory for processing. It will then access the ISO for further progress.

You will need a separate partition on the hard drive that will be formatted for Linux use. When VL is up and running, you can format the original C:\ and make it swap or additional storage.
XKT

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:46:17 am »

I have four partitions on my harddisk

C:Win98 (11GB)

-and the following for the linux installation
D:Root   (4GB)
E:Home  (3.6GB)
F:Swap  (400MB)

I had planned to Install VL to D: then afterwards, format drive C: and merge it into drive E:
I still have a problem with the DOS command though. It reboots my computer and the installation doesn't appear.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:07 am »

I don't know if this applies to  loadlin as I installed from linux in a similar manner on a very similar machine.  Mine panicked (froze - fortunately Win98 reboots) until I specified the size of the ram to be large enough for the initrd.  I'm sorry that I can't tell you what size I had used as that partition is gone and I've forgotten where I found the info.  Hopefully, some one knows how to specify that in loadlin.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 11:10:40 am »

Try:
loadlin sata initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw root=/dev/ram
XKT

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Hi again,
  did a little research on loadlin and tried the command you suggested but it didn't work. I did manage to get the ide kernel from VL5.0 in the repository, used it and the text based installer appeared. Maybe you could provide a link to kernels in the next version's documentation. Anyway it installed and when I thought that I could give a sigh of relief the LILO installer failed to show up. I get an error message 'kernel too old', now I can't boot into VL and suspect that it's the ide kernel. I tried to install it to diskette, same error...
XKT

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »

another thing to mention...

I had to restore the iso's original filename for the VL iso to be recognized on the hard disk by the installer
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 02:54:02 pm »

You are trying to install VL6, right? You should be able to use the "sata" kernel from the VL6 ISO. The older VL5 version would not have the same hardware support as the newer one.
XKT

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:04:25 pm »

Yes, i'm installing VL6 but under no circumstance would the the computer boot to the installer. As I said above, I tried the code...no result,reboots to windows/dos. There must be something I can try again. I must say that this is the most fun I've ever had simply trying to do an installation of something  Wink
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 06:25:11 pm »

Yeah, doing these kinds of workarounds can be interesting.  Grin
Where did you get the sata kernel that doesn't work?
XKT

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 06:54:30 pm »

I got the sata kernel from the directory \isolinux\kernel on the VL6 standard gold iso (mounted it to a virtual disk on win98)
I did get VL installed to root, I just can't boot it, but i'm willing to try any suggestions of you posters first because I got an idea to write an image of LILO or GRUB to diskette and boot from there. (I have no experience with LILO or GRUB btw)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:58:50 pm by XKT » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: