VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 01:52:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Need help installing VL using the direct iso method  (Read 3736 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 04:04:20 pm »

If installation completed with the exception of boot loader installation, you can boot into it with the same loadlin and kernel you used for installation. The command will be something like:
Code:
loadlin sata root=/dev/hda2 ro

Substitute your actual location for "/dev/hda2" (it could be /dev/sda2 or /dev/hda4 or whatever).
XKT

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 07:05:02 pm »

Hey, I had already used that command you are suggesting when I dug up some info on loadlin. I tried it, same results as before, it rebooted. Then I included the ide kernel from VL5 in the command line and the kernel froze while linux was loading. I went into the text based installer using that ide kernel and installed LILO to floppy. I used LILO to get into linux, then I got an error stating that I couldn't use the xfce gui and that it couldn't find the default fonts. I surfed a bit and I came upon a thread in this forum that stated that VL6 lite carried an ide kernel so I downloaded the iso and then extracted the 'up to date' kernel. I used the new kernel to load the installer, reinstalled VL (installation went smoothly) then I was able to use VL. Finally! The VL6 standard iso contained only one of the four kernels to get me into the installer (the sata kernel didn't work and maybe you could include the others in future versions). Anyway, kudos to the developers and thanks to you guys for helping me to get it working. I'm gonna have fun exploring this great OS Grin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 08:55:04 pm »

Nice work!  Smiley

Glad you got it figured out. It would be nice if you could post the steps you took that made it all work, including exactly which kernels and commands you used. Also, adding [Solved] to the title of the original post is a good idea.

Again, commendations on your persistence and problem solving skills.
XKT

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 02:07:08 pm »

A few things to close.....

The direct iso installation of VL6...my way.

• I thoroughly read the documentation and did a little research on the OS I was goin' to transition to. (Not exactly a step but would definitely benefit you to know the inner workings of something that encourages you to use command lines to get things done).

• I Downloaded the VL6 iso and did an md5 checksum to insure that there would be no installation errors due to corrupted files.

• Then moved the downloaded iso to c: ,renamed it to 'VL6.ISO' and copied the files revelant for loadlin into 'c:\loadlin'

• Booted to DOS and used these commands to start the installer.
Code:
c:
cd c:\loadlin
loadlin sata root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img
(this is where it reboots, sata kernel not compatible with my HD)

• (The VL6 Standard Gold iso did not provide all of the kernels I might have needed -only the sata kernel. I had an ide hard drive so i needed an ide kernel that was compatible with my hardware and the current version of VL). I obtained an ide kernel from VL5.0 in the repository inserted it into 'c:\loadlin'. Then used this command with loadlin in DOS-
    loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img

• VL6 text based installer appeared but it couldn't find the VL6 iso on any of my partitions for some reason. I restored the original file name of the VL6 iso on 'c:' and went back into the installer (showing kernel version 2.4.27). VL6 installed to hard drive but the LILO installation crashed stating an error 'FATAL: kernel too old' which meant exactly that.

Just to ensure that the sata kernel might have worked I issued this command to try to boot into VL since it installed to the HD-
Code:
loadlin sata root=/dev/hda5 ro
.....didn't work. Then I replaced 'sata' with 'ide' and the kernel froze.

• Back into the installation I went, where I managed to install LILO to floppy. Then I booted to the diskette to hopefully log into VL. While loading, the kernel froze again and gave an error stating that I couldn't use the x-window interface and that the fonts couldn't be found. (The kernel really was too old and a VL reinstallation would be needed. I tried the text based interface as well but it wouldn't respond.)

• I learned the location of an ide kernel for VL6 which was in the VL6 Lite iso. I downloaded it, extracted the kernel and with it, replaced the older kernel from VL5.0.

• I used the command- 'loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img' to re-enter the text based installer ('kernel version 2.6.22.19'). There was an uninterupted, complete, error-free installation of VL6 and now here I am posting to this forum using the Opera browser on linux Smiley

Cheers.

(hope this could have been of any help to anyone)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 04:19:39 pm »

Excellent. Just to clarify, the "ide" (2.6.22.19) kernel must have come from the VL 5.9 Light ISO?
XKT

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 11:49:25 am »

Oh yeah... my apology. The "ide" kernel (2.6.22.19) came from the VL 5.9 ISO. Thanks for clarifying that.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: