VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 03:42:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking screenshots in xfce.  (Read 3365 times)
chatan

« on: March 06, 2009, 06:24:15 pm »

(Using VL 6 Deluxe, xfce)
I know this was asked before: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4931.0   but it is an older thread, so I figured I would ask about screen captures again.

I see tigerwolf's post that says:
Right click on the panel.
Select 'add new item'.
From the list that appears, select the Screenshot applet.
Click the 'ADD' button.

That's works, but I don't take screen shots that often, so in xfce (without install KDE stuff) is there an easier way to than adding applet and then removing it time I need a screenshot?

Thanks!

64-bit MEPIS 8 - Desktop 1
VL 6 Deluxe - Desktop 2
Eee PC 900 Default Linux in Easy Mode
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:04:16 pm »

Type this in the terminal:
Code:
import -window root screen.png

If you just do "import screen.png", you'll get a little cross to select the area that you want.

You can put this in a launcher, or even better, go to Keyboard Settings and assign the Print Screen key as a shortcut to the command.

EDIT: I didn't realise that the thread you mention already contains this command as a solution. Well, if you put in in a launcher in the panel, desktop, or menu, it does the job very well. But if you would like something a bit more fancy and with a graphical interface, there's nothing in the repos so far as I can see.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:10:11 pm by wcs » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 07:25:13 pm »

If you do not require a toggle on the menu or a launcher on the bar then use the import as mentioned...

I type: import -window root -pause 5 screenshot.png and then minimize the terninal so it is not in the shot.

thanks grannygeek for the pause 5 and to EFG for the import -window root screenshot.png..

if the confirmation helps..
cheers

Everything Is Relative
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »

I type: import -window root -pause 5 screenshot.png and then minimize the terninal so it is not in the shot.

nice one.  Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:20:24 pm »

This discussion has helped me learn more about the import utility. -window root enabled me to capture what my launchers look like when the mouse is over them or they're expanded when I click on the little arrow.

Now--
does anyone know how to tell import to number screenshots consecutively? If I use screenshot.png as the file name it gets overwritten if I capture another shot. If I could modify the import command so I'd automatically get screenshot_1, screenshot_2, screenshot_3, etc., the tool would be perfect.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
chatan

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:46 am »

Thanks all!
Quote from: wcs
even better, go to Keyboard Settings and assign the Print Screen key as a shortcut to the command.
That is what I'm looking for.  Not as nice as ksnapshot, but it works good enough for now.
I appreciate it.

Steps:
Menu >>> Settings >>> Keyboard Settings
Shortcuts Tab >>> Add theme
Give it any name
Add Shortcut
command = import -window root screen.png
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:46:08 am by chatan » Logged

64-bit MEPIS 8 - Desktop 1
VL 6 Deluxe - Desktop 2
Eee PC 900 Default Linux in Easy Mode
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:16:22 am »

If I could modify the import command so I'd automatically get screenshot_1, screenshot_2, screenshot_3, etc., the tool would be perfect.

Maybe it can do it with some option.
Alternatively, it could be done by a bash script that checks if the file exists and assigns the next name.
I don't know enough bash for that, though, but I guess it should be simple.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:32:16 am »

You can suffix a `date` command with the format you want.

for example,

touch screenshot`date +%F` will create a file named screenshot2009-03-07 .

Beware of date flags that output spaces inbetween. It may break your script.

if you want to make screenshots really close one to other, you can try `date +%N` it outputs the time in nanoseconds (don't know based to what) , or %s for the classical unix time (seconds sincs epoch (01-01-1970) .

man date for more info.

HTH

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 11:07:12 am »

Thanks, kidd!

This one seems to do the trick for me:
Code:
import -window root screen_`date +%F_%T`.png

Outputs this: screen_2009-03-07_19:08:42.png
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:27:58 pm »

This one seems to do the trick for me:

Though, unfortunately, the keyboard shortcuts in xfce seems to have problems when one puts the date command in there...
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 06:46:11 pm »

probably xfce does not interpolate backticks, maybe you should write a trivial shellscript, and execute it from xfce.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 07:27:13 pm »

maybe you should write a trivial shellscript, and execute it from xfce.

Makes sense... I must be tired.
Worked a charm!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 08:26:42 pm »

screen_`date +%F_%T`.png works great from a terminal prompt, but when I add it to my XFce launcher I get a file named +%F_%T`.png. I have no idea how to write a shellscript.

wcs,
Could you please post your shellscript?
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 09:46:12 pm »

Could you please post your shellscript?

Here it is.
Just the command with that top line to indicate it's a bash file:

#!/bin/bash
import -window root screen_`date +%F_%T`.png

I put this in a file called screenshot, copied it to /usr/bin, and made it executable:

chmod a+x /usr/bin/screenshot

The new "screenshot" command then goes in the keyboard settings in xfce.
EDIT: Or in a launcher, in your case.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 10:33:58 pm »

Thank you very much!

I followed your directions and added the screenshot script to my launcher. It is working just as I had hoped. Now I'll create the PrintScreen keyboard shortcut.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: