VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:31:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera 9.64 loses Flash  (Read 9912 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 06, 2009, 08:33:30 pm »

I upgraded to the latest Flash from Adobe's Web site and also to Opera 9.64 from Opera's site. Both updates were for security fixes, so I don't want to go back to the earlier versions.

Alas, Flash no longer works with Opera 9.64. If I load a page that has Flash videos on it, the computer becomes very slow because CPU usage goes to 100%. When I shut down Opera through a kill command on the processes, CPU usage returns to normal.

This reminds me of a problem in VL 5.9 where the then-latest Flash didn't work with Opera 9.63 (or maybe 9.62). The problem disappeared in VL6 and I was SOOOO happy! But it has again reared its ugly head.

Now I have to load SeaMonkey or Firefox if I want to see something that uses Flash. They are working fine with the latest Flash.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Is there a solution? I reinstalled the Flash plugin but that didn't help. Tomorrow I'll rename the ~/.opera directory so Opera will build a new one and see if that helps.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »

I have the same problem after upgrading to opera-9.64. Could not figure out why.
 Opera tells it needs it needs the latest flash which I installed and it comes back
telling the same thing again. No problem with Firefox.

It works now. in ~/.opera I deleted the /plugin and made a symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:10:48 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »

I have the same problem after upgrading to opera-9.64. Could not figure out why.
 Opera tells it needs it needs the latest flash which I installed and it comes back
telling the same thing again. No problem with Firefox.

It works now. in ~/.opera I deleted the /plugin and made a symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin

I have no /plugin directory in ~/.opera. In /usr/lib/opera/plugins I've tried a symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, or putting the actual flash file in /usr/lib/opera/plugins, or putting nothing there because /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins is in Opera's plugin path. None of these is successful in getting Flash working in Opera 9.64. I have unchecked Enable Plugins for Opera so that it won't even attempt to load Flash and I use SeaMonkey or Firefox if I need a plugin for some site content. Very frustrating!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 01:44:07 am »

The libflashplayer.so I am using has a size of 10787K and is dated Feb 15th and if I
recall correctly the one in opera was smaller and had an earlier time stamp and gave
that error that there is no flashplayer.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:46:09 pm »

The libflashplayer.so I am using has a size of 10787K and is dated Feb 15th and if I
recall correctly the one in opera was smaller and had an earlier time stamp and gave
that error that there is no flashplayer.

Where did you download Adobe Flash from? I just downloaded the latest Flash from Adobe's Web site. It's version 10.0.22.87, which is the most recent version offered by Adobe. The file date is Feb. 2 and the size is 9894K. To check which version you have, go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ .

It works with Firefox and SeaMonkey but not with Opera. I disabled plugins in Opera in order to prevent the hogging of the CPU that happens if I go to a page with Flash and have plugins enabled.

I also discovered that if I'm at a site with Flash, Firefox and SeaMonkey also hog the CPU. The latest Flash seems to be a drain on the processor. This is on my 1.3 GHz Celeron Tualatin. When I tested yesterday on my dual-core 64-bit Turion laptop, Flash was also hogging the CPU, but with two processor cores and 2 gigs of RAM, there was more computer power left.

Let me know what the Flash test page above says about your version.
--GrannyGeek

d_s

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »

Could it be that you have 2 versions of flashplayer somewhere in your system? Opera tends to find them everywhere... Please check Opera -> Help. It should display a lot of info, including all paths of plugins. You can then disable such a path by modifying a file in .opera, I forgot the details, the name is very similar to opera's plugin directory. I think it contains paths followed by "=1". For the paths that opera should ignore, change that to "=0". AFAIR that the best way to get rid of double flash players.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:09:19 pm »

The flashplayer version which is working with opera and which I have installed for firefox is

The newer flash version does not work apparently with opera-9.64.
 I will double check if I go into VL-6-STD box later.

If you want I can send you the flash_player_10_linux_dev.tar.gz file of size
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:08:00 pm »

d_s,
Thanks for your suggestion. I had already checked for old versions on the system, plugin paths, etc., but I did it again just in case I missed something.

There is only one flashplugin file on my whole system and it's in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Opera finds it through its plugins path and I have a symlink to it for SeaMonkey (probably unnecessary). Previously I had tried copying the flash plugin to Opera's plugins directory and also putting a symlink in Opera's plugins directory. None of those helped. I also renamed my ~/.opera directory so Opera would recreate it. That did no good either, so I restored my ~/.opera directory. Opera does show Flash as installed.

I did a Google search and also checked Opera's user forums and there were no reports of this exact problem. So for now I think I'm out of luck. When I need Flash I'll use Firefox or SeaMonkey.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »

The flashplayer version which is working with opera and which I have installed for firefox is

The newer flash version does not work apparently with opera-9.64.
 I will double check if I go into VL-6-STD box later.

If you want I can send you the flash_player_10_linux_dev.tar.gz file of size

Thanks for the offer, but I do have access to a copy of the earlier Flash. I don't want to use the earlier Flash because it's supposed to have a serious security hole in it. Same for an earlier version of Opera. So I'll continue to use Opera with plugins disabled and switch to SeaMonkey or Firefox when I need Flash.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:24:22 pm »

I went into my VL-6-STD box installed opera-9.64 and flash was working.
Installed the latest flashplayer and flash was still working with opera.

Went back into my VL-6 working box copied libflashplayer.so, the latest,
from VL-6-STD into my working box in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin and flash in opera
is working.

Me now rather confused. I am sure after I had installed opera-9.64 and trying to play flash
several times I got the message that I need to install the flashplayer and doing so
I would still get this message until I made that symlink as mentioned earlier.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:54:27 pm »

Pita,

>> The libflashplayer.so I am using has a size of 10787K and is dated Feb 15th and if I
that error that there is no flashplayer. >>

Something is puzzling here. I downloaded the latest Flash today (tar.gz format) from Adobe's site and the file size is 9894K, not 10787K as yours is. I definitely have the latest version installed, as verified at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ . The latest version is 10.0.22.87. Would you please visit that site and confirm that your Flash is version 10.0.22.87?

It simply does not work in Opera 9.64 on all my computers. Opera says Flash is installed, but no Flash screen appears onscreen ever. I'm giving up for now.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:34:39 am »

Pita,

The latest version is 10.0.22.87. Would you please visit that site and confirm that your Flash is version 10.0.22.87?

It simply does not work in Opera 9.64 on all my computers. Opera says Flash is installed, but no Flash screen appears onscreen ever. I'm giving up for now.
--GrannyGeek

Confirmed: it says: you have 10.0.22.87 installed.

Your case is odd.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »

Confirmed: it says: you have 10.0.22.87 installed.

Your case is odd.

Thanks for checking. I wonder what's causing the problem? I have one other computer I haven't had on for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure it has the latest Flash and I know it has Opera 9.63, not 9.64. I'll notice whether Flash is working on it now and continues to work after I upgrade Flash (if needed) and Opera. That might give me a clue.
--GrannyGeek

kukibl
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 04:01:54 am »

I run into the same problem. It seems that libflashplayer.so requires libnss3 (nss package from VL's gsb repo contains this file; check ldd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so output), so all you have to do in order to get flash in Opera, is to install nss package.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:16:50 am »

Thank you kukibl! That worked a charm!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: