VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 03:35:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6 not shutting down cleanly  (Read 1050 times)
Chris H

« on: March 07, 2009, 06:05:25 am »

On shutdown the screen shuts off but the machine still stays powered. I also get two information lights glowing which with other distros usually happens with a flakey ati driver. So when I shutdown I have to wait and then hold down the power button for 5 seconds to get it totally shutdown.

I've only been running vl6 for a few days. I updated lilo with a kernel parameter i8042.nomux=1 to deal with intermittent touchpad issues and can't remember if it has only happened since then.

/var/log/message ends with 'system halting' or summat and that's it.

Any suggestions/experience?

Uniwill laptop
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:29:57 am »

With my Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204 laptop this happens on reboot only.  Shutdown works cleanly.  On my Sylvania g Netbook Meso and my ancient Toshiba Libretto SS1010 both shutdown and reboot work properly.  This has been the case for previous VL releases as well.  The only distro I have found that correctly reboots my Toshiba is Ubuntu.

I'm not familiar with Uniwill but I can tell you that this is an issue of your specific hardware not being properly supported.  If your manufacturer supports Linux they may have an acpi module or other driver which corrects this issue.

Does it work in any other distribution?  If so, and if the machine is dual boot, we can compare the kernel modules loaded to see if anything is different.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Chris H

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:03:03 am »

I can restart with no issues, just seems to be that final switch off on shutdown.

Single boot machine.

I've not noticed it on any other distro I've installed and that's a good number it being about 3 years old.

On Ubuntu based systems it even does suspend and resume so I wouldn't think it's an acpi issue.
Chris H

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:08:27 pm »

Now it's shutting down correctly.

All I did was glare at it   Cool

Panic over.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: