VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: help! no wireless w/ new Vector 5.9 install (sylvania g netbook)  (Read 2439 times)

jmd9qs

I would like some help figuring this out... i am not a total linux newbie but have migrated from ubuntu on this specific machine. it is a sylvania g netbook; here are the specs:

i had no trouble with the install, but it will not find the wireless driver... any suggestions?

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: help! no wireless w/ new Vector 5.9 install (sylvania g netbook)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »

I also have a Sylvania g.  Vector Linux 5.9 doesn't support a lot of the hardware:  wireless, 3D video acceleration, 800x480 video resolution, etc...

Download and install Vector Linux 6.0 rc3.  Wireless will "just work" with no effort on your part.  Once you get to that point I can help you get X working properly as well.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

jmd9qs

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:17:48 pm »

thanks for the help. i'll get back to you tomorrow when i'm through installing 6

jmd9qs

jiminsav

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:57 am »

your screwed...my wireless died a horrible death and no distro can bring it back to life. and from what i've read, the wireless pretty much sucked anyways, so I'm going to buy a new usb dongle and run with that.
and btw, vector is the best of all the 10 distros I tried on this g netbook.
how 'bout them DAWGS!!!
Jim in Savannah