VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 10:13:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux for Dummies???  (Read 4368 times)
VecNub

« on: March 07, 2009, 03:47:17 pm »

Well, I've attempted this before, and gave up, but now I'm trying again.  I'm hoping I can somehow get Vector 6.0Gold onto my computer.  I am now downloading the iso (hopefully, it's the iso) to burn onto my last CD.  I never knew the BASICS could be so complicated. 

If there's a place for true newbies such as myself....Vector for Dummies, perhaps?  I'd LOVE to go there.  It seems to be taking forever just for my computer to download the files in the first place...everyone I speak to, tells me it should only take a few minutes. 

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 04:25:32 pm »

Depending on your interned connection speed, the ISO (about 700MB) should take some time.

The process is quite simple
Download ISO
Burn ISO (using your burning software's image burning feature (or cd copy -> from image), depending on which program you use)
Stick the CD in your cd drive
Set your BIOS to boot from cd (some bios(es) let you hit the "ESC" or some other "Fx(x)" key to pull up a boot menu where you can select your cd drive"
Boot the cd, and follow the prompts.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »

I never knew the BASICS could be so complicated. 
What basics did you have trouble with?
If there's a place for true newbies such as myself....Vector for Dummies, perhaps?
Post to our "Vectorbie Questions" forum.
It seems to be taking forever just for my computer to download the files in the first place...everyone I speak to, tells me it should only take a few minutes. 
You got some bad information there. With a telephone broadband normal speed is about 155kbs. So as the ISO is almost 700MB large it will take about 1hr 20 minutes or so to download. If you have cable broadband at average 500kbs then it will take about 25 minutes to download.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
VecNub

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »

Depending on your interned connection speed, the ISO (about 700MB) should take some time.

The process is quite simple
Download ISO
Burn ISO (using your burning software's image burning feature (or cd copy -> from image), depending on which program you use)
Stick the CD in your cd drive
Set your BIOS to boot from cd (some bios(es) let you hit the "ESC" or some other "Fx(x)" key to pull up a boot menu where you can select your cd drive"
Boot the cd, and follow the prompts.

Thanks much for listing it that way...I will keep this post bookmarked!!! 
VecNub

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:18:56 pm »

I never knew the BASICS could be so complicated. 
What basics did you have trouble with?
If there's a place for true newbies such as myself....Vector for Dummies, perhaps?
Post to our "Vectorbie Questions" forum.
It seems to be taking forever just for my computer to download the files in the first place...everyone I speak to, tells me it should only take a few minutes. 
You got some bad information there. With a telephone broadband normal speed is about 155kbs. So as the ISO is almost 700MB large it will take about 1hr 20 minutes or so to download. If you have cable broadband at average 500kbs then it will take about 25 minutes to download.

Ok, the first basic is just which files to burn....I haven't even gotten the Vector downloaded all the way yet, but I see a zip file and an iso file...both are not complete yet.  I just downloaded a program called "ImgBurn", which someone suggested I get to do the job.  That, I could manage.  I've been told I'm not supposed to be getting a zip file, so the more I talk to everyone, the more confused I'm getting. 

Bottom line.....getting the darn thing burned has been a big problem for me.

Thanks for sending me to the newbie section...I'm sure I'll be spending a LOT of time there..LOL!

Ah yes, the time thing seems logical...the 1 1/2 hrs, that is.  I get confused easily, so one little bit of wrong info turns my brain upside down.  I must practice NOT to let that happen...

Thanks so much for the info.  Once I get both Vector downloaded, I'll be back with questions on the next step....burning it! 
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »

I just downloaded a program called "ImgBurn", which someone suggested I get to do the job.  That, I could manage.  I've been told I'm not supposed to be getting a zip file, so the more I talk to everyone, the more confused I'm getting.

You're doing fine. The iso is the right file, and ImgBurn should burn a cd with it. All ok so far.  Smiley
VecNub

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:22:50 pm »

Here's what I'm downloading.....is it correct?

Live CD - VL 5.9 Live Edition
Download VectorLinix 5.9 Live Edition Beta1
With the Live Edition you can carry your VectorLinux OS everywhere. Take a look to the fastest distro just booting from your Cd-Rom, no installation required.

I had to stop the others I was downloading, as they were not LIVE CD versions.  Boy, do I have a lot to learn.  However, I'm sure once I actually get my hands on this, I'll be OK. 

Thanks for being there for me!!!!!

Donna
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »

I don't think the Live edition is the best option.
You can give it a try to see what it's like running from the cd, but it might give you some hassle when it comes to installing to the hard drive.

Plus, that release is not the latest version. VL 6.0 was just released one of these days and I think that's what you should get (better hardware detection, updated software, etc...).

Actually, on your first post you said you wanted 6.0, so that's not the right one yet.  Smiley

Here's the link that you want:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso

Dowload this and burn the ISO image to a cd.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »

Hi VecNub:

Try this site, let me know if it is what you were looking for.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Distro/VL60

It's no substitute for the knowledgeable help of the forum,  but it should get you started.

What burning software are you using?  That will be your next step.  Burning the iso to CD.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:20:52 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:56:27 pm »

I agree that VL6 is a better choice than a LiveCD. However, in order to install VL6 you'll need some empty space on your hard drive. This means actual unformatted space that can be used for a Linux partition for VectorLinux.

Edit: You shouldn't need empty unformatted space if you have a volume (logical drive) on an extended partition--or even a volume on a primary partition on a second hard drive that you don't need for an operating system. VectorLinux should be able to format this volume with a Linux file system after you select it as the place to install VL during the installation process. Just be sure you get all the data off that drive before it's formatted because formatting it will destroy whatever is on it now.

I assume you're running some version of Windows now. If you don't have empty unformatted drive space or a volume you can give to Linux, you'll need to shrink your present Windows partition or add a second hard drive. VL 6 includes GParted, a graphical partitioner that *I think* can shrink your present Windows partition without destroying its contents. You could also use a Windows tool such as Partition Commander if you have one. Windows Vista includes support for shrinking a Windows partition but earlier versions of Windows do not. Always do a complete backup before you resize partitions.

Let us know a little more about your hardware including partition sizes. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to install VectorLinux. People on this forum are very willing to help.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:00:41 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
VecNub

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:41:45 am »

I don't think the Live edition is the best option.
You can give it a try to see what it's like running from the cd, but it might give you some hassle when it comes to installing to the hard drive.

Plus, that release is not the latest version. VL 6.0 was just released one of these days and I think that's what you should get (better hardware detection, updated software, etc...).

Actually, on your first post you said you wanted 6.0, so that's not the right one yet.  Smiley

Here's the link that you want:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso

Dowload this and burn the ISO image to a cd.

Thanks for the link....I still have to get through burning the darn thing in the first place.  As for not using alive CD?  I'm afraid to try anything else first!
VecNub

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 06:46:03 am »

I agree that VL6 is a better choice than a LiveCD. However, in order to install VL6 you'll need some empty space on your hard drive. This means actual unformatted space that can be used for a Linux partition for VectorLinux.

I assume you're running some version of Windows now. If you don't have empty unformatted drive space, you'll need to shrink your present Windows partition or add a second hard drive. VL 6 includes GParted, a graphical partitioner that *I think* can shrink your present Windows partition without destroying its contents. You could also use a Windows tool such as Partition Commander if you have one. Windows Vista includes support for shrinking a Windows partition but earlier versions of Windows do not. Always do a complete backup before you resize partitions.

Let us know a little more about your hardware including partition sizes. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to install VectorLinux. People on this forum are very willing to help.
--GrannyGeek

How about using my D drive?  When I bought this computer, I had the tech add in my old drive, so I don't lose the info on that.  I have 47.5GB on that one.  I do have a few things..not too many, that I need from there, but I'm wondering now, would it be too complicated to replace Windows on that drive to add a Linux distro?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 08:01:09 am »

would it be too complicated to replace Windows on that drive to add a Linux distro?

It shouldn't be, no. If you download VL6 (not Live), then it will ask you where you want to install it, and can make partitions for you on that drive.

If you want to try the live version, then download 5.9 LIVE and nothing gets installed. But VL6 is a bit different (and better) than what you get on the 5.9 version.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 01:55:52 pm »

However, in order to install VL6 you'll need some empty space on your hard drive. This means actual unformatted space that can be used for a Linux partition for VectorLinux.

I assume you're running some version of Windows now. If you don't have empty unformatted drive space, you'll need to shrink your present Windows partition or add a second hard drive. VL 6 includes GParted, a graphical partitioner that *I think* can shrink your present Windows partition without destroying its contents. You could also use a Windows tool such as Partition Commander if you have one. Windows Vista includes support for shrinking a Windows partition but earlier versions of Windows do not. Always do a complete backup before you resize partitions.

As I think about this, I'm pretty sure I was wrong when I said you'd need unformatted space. You should be able to select a volume (logical drive) on an extended partition and direct VectorLinux to install itself there. As part of the installation process, VL should format that drive with a Linux file system.

Do having VL install on your present Drive D should be fine. Of course, it'll destroy the files already there, so move them to your Drive C or some storage media first.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 02:00:19 pm »

Please remember that C: drive, D: drive, etc... are DOS/Windows concepts that are not used in Linux.  The ordering of drives in Linux likely won't match the ordering on your Windows system.  That means that /dev/sda1 doesn't necessarily match up with C:.  D: may very well be something like /dev/sda5 if it's on an extended partition.

Take a look at the physical layout and sizes of partitions on your Windows system so that you can make the correct correspondences in Linux and install where you really want to install.

GrannyGeek:  You are absolutely correct that unformatted space isn't needed.  The VL installer will cheerfully destroy any existing partition if you tell it to Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: