VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 07:21:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux for Dummies???  (Read 4696 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 02:07:51 pm »

GrannyGeek:  You are absolutely correct that unformatted space isn't needed.  The VL installer will cheerfully destroy any existing partition if you tell it to Smiley

Thanks for confirming that. It's been so long since I've taken over a Windows partition that I forgot you could do that.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
VecNub

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 02:36:39 pm »

would it be too complicated to replace Windows on that drive to add a Linux distro?

It shouldn't be, no. If you download VL6 (not Live), then it will ask you where you want to install it, and can make partitions for you on that drive.

If you want to try the live version, then download 5.9 LIVE and nothing gets installed. But VL6 is a bit different (and better) than what you get on the 5.9 version.

Ok, I have another basic, but MUCH BIGGER problem  now!  I just tried to burn Vector and a few other distros, using "imgburn" program, and all of them failed.  I can't even get the darned things downloaded and burned!!!!  HELP!!!!!!!   
VecNub

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 02:39:07 pm »

I certainly have to keep reminding myself that LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS!!!  Thank you for pointing this out to a creature of habit (oh, no!!!!!  I must change!!!).   One of these days, I'll get all this, if I could only BURN THE DARN LIVE CD!!!!!!!!!!   Huh
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 02:56:04 pm »

I will repeat what others have said -- you do NOT want the live CD if you are doing an installation.  It really isn't designed for that and our latest and greatest version, Vector Linux 6.0, is not available live.  The newer version has much better hardware support and a graphical installer.  It will be much easier for you that 5.9.

I sure can't help with Windows burning apps, sorry.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 02:56:23 pm »

I am assuming you:

1) downloaded the correct ISO
2) checked the ISO with md5sum
3) read the documentation for imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=guides

What exactly is wrong with your burning? Does the program complete and eject the CD, does the CD boot Huh??
We can only help you if you provide more information as to what is exactly going wrong....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
VecNub

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 03:22:19 pm »

I will repeat what others have said -- you do NOT want the live CD if you are doing an installation.  It really isn't designed for that and our latest and greatest version, Vector Linux 6.0, is not available live.  The newer version has much better hardware support and a graphical installer.  It will be much easier for you that 5.9.

I sure can't help with Windows burning apps, sorry.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I did have the 5.9 Live CD. 
VecNub

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 03:28:17 pm »

I am assuming you:

1) downloaded the correct ISO
2) checked the ISO with md5sum
3) read the documentation for imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=guides

What exactly is wrong with your burning? Does the program complete and eject the CD, does the CD boot Huh??
We can only help you if you provide more information as to what is exactly going wrong....

I'm only going on what others have told me is the correct ISO download, as I mentioned, I have NO prior knowledge of Linux protocols.  I'm so new to this, it isn't even funny. 

I will follow your steps, as I've never been told to do that as of yet. 

TO answer your other questions, the program, imgburn, did eject the CD, but the CD went back in again, so I figured it had something else to do, and let it go.   When it comes to verifying whatever, I get the error message, and a big, audible "OH NO" from the program.

Now, I figured I'd try to boot up anyway, and what happened was, I saw the first splash screen showing the program loading, but after that, many error messages in dos. 

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 03:32:46 pm »

That's either a bad burn (it does happen) or a corrupted download.  If it's the latter then, yes, you have to download the iso again.  You can try burning one more time to see if it works.  If not, since you'll be downloading over again anyway, get VL 6.0 Standard this time.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 05:36:15 pm »

If you need a good freeware burning software for windows and you are useing any windows-- 95 through xp, then you should look at deepburner freeware version..it is solid and simple and I have burned many an iso on 95,98 and xp...I used deepburner portable on a thumb on xp I think.

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=products&pr=deepburner

hope that helps a little...

cheers

Everything Is Relative
VecNub

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 05:57:09 am »

Thanks to all who are answering my posts!  I found out what was happening.....I was burning too fast using imgburn.....when I slowed the speed to 4x, I was able to burn 3 distros, I actually got SLAX to run, but got this error message when trying to run MINT.........VGA MODE NOT SUPPORT...H536KH   V59.9KH   

I will try to burn Vector today, and see what happens there.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 10:38:29 am »

I was burning too fast using imgburn.....when I slowed the speed to 4x, I was able to burn 3 distros,

That may indicate your optical drive is on its last legs. IMHO as a computer tech who often works on older computers it is the optical drives which are the first bits of hardware to die, followed by floppy and hard drives (ie the mechanical components).

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: