VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:29:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Login (XDMCP Host)  (Read 2823 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 07, 2009, 04:00:38 pm »

I was looking at the remote login feature that you access at the login screen (system, remote login) and when I click on remote login, it shows me a list of "XDMCP Hosts" to choose from. There are none because I don't have any more VL machines on the network but I was wondering how would I go about setting up a VL machine as an "XDMCP Host" if I wanted to?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »

You need to enable Xdmcp through gdmsetup, which is the GDM configurator (GDM is the session manager or login screen). It is always a good idea to firewall the 177 port to not allow access to the desktop from the internet, these are not secure protocols. If you want to do a remote session from the internet you will be better with VNC tunneled over SSH. We have some vnc servers and clients in the repos iirc, you can search for vnc software using gslapt or slapt-get --search

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:04:48 pm »

How do I get to gdmsetup?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:54:16 pm »

Open a terminal and run gdmsetup as root. I think it has an entry in the menu under settings, login window.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 08:28:41 pm »

Code:
Open a terminal and run gdmsetup as root. I think it has an entry in the menu under settings, login window.

Oooh... generally not a good idea as it will try to launch a second instance of X.  The best way to get to gdmsetup is from the login window.  In the same menu where you found Remote Login there is a button labeled Configuration.  That takes you into gdmsetup.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »

Ummm, I just get a gui window with some settings here, maybe some setting is affecting the behavior of mine.

--
Jumalauta!!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »

rbistolfi:  It may be driver/hardware dependent.  If it works then by all means go for it.  I've had some really funky results going into gdmsetup that way.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: