VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:13:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B3 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 16955 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »

The startup/logout sounds are in your home directory, under .icewm/sounds. For silence, just delete them.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 07:36:46 pm »

Thank you, nightflyer.....!

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 08:09:19 pm »

Hi
I have not had time to download the rc yet.. but wanted to say THANK YOU ..although I find no one shares my enthusiasm, this puts the fun back into computing for me and it was easy as pie on VLLbata3...thanks for this
http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Vlight4.jpg
getting daily use.
cheers Smiley

Everything Is Relative
quotaholic

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 06:16:38 pm »

cant run lite 6.0, its too big. way too big. are you sure 612mb classifies as light?

I am downloading 5.9 crossing my fingers that it will fit on my tiny internal flash storage drive. Hi my name is daryl. I run a forum site based around a wifi web tablet. I'm not here to spam. I am here to shop for a distro that will work on it.

My google video on the computer in question:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4459995737871873106&ei=5OLKSabcGI-WrwLruMTcDQ&q=webdt366&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Its an lx800 geode cpu and geode gpu. 534 mb of internal flash and 256 of ram. Cisco pcmcia wifi built in and a CF card slot that I cant boot to. I am hoping I can fstab a home folder over to it, we will see.

So far the slackware lzma distro's like slax and nimlex work but I cant change the configs as they are live distros.

My question on Zenwalk 6 light is this: Can one trim it up at all?

I know its light to the developers but I have a much lighter idea of light. Like jwm, mplayer, wifi, xvkbd, that hakasakakakeake web browser or what ever its called and not much else. Penmount makes the touchscreen so the xorg-xserver-input-penmount package too but thats it.

There are far too many small distributions out there for me to think this is not possible. If there is a minimal text only iso I could start with and build from there I could not find it. Has vector ever considered a web based build service? The US govt JUST surplused hundreds of these tablets. I would love to post on my forum that Vector works on the WebDT366.

Best regards and kudos on a great distro, I have used it in the past.

quotaholic
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »

Hi quotaholic

cant run lite 6.0, its too big. way too big. are you sure 612mb classifies as light?

The goal is to provide a small memory footprint and light weight applications. As you noted, light is not small.

My question on Zenwalk 6 light is this: Can one trim it up at all?

Hehe too much distro search for you Smiley. I guess Vector Light can be slimed removing the development packages, the kernel sources and some other stuff you may not need.

There are far too many small distributions out there for me to think this is not possible. If there is a minimal text only iso I could start with and build from there I could not find it. Has vector ever considered a web based build service? The US govt JUST surplused hundreds of these tablets. I would love to post on my forum that Vector works on the WebDT366.

A web based build system sounds good. Unfortunately, VL has not many developers, some one should step in and do the job. There are some other distros that can do a network based install, maybe one of them will suit better your needs. If you can tweak the ISO to allow the installer to run in your device, you could do a minimal install and use the package manager to add what you need. I am not sure how that process would be but if you decide to do it we will try to help. In the other hand, something like ArchLinux could be the solution for your problem, with a small iso and a package manager to complete the install. VL working in the WebDT366 would be cool  though Wink.

HTH, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »

Minimum for Light is 1.1 GB. As rbistolfi said, "Light" and "Small" is not the same thing. 5.9 will not fit on a 534 MB storage device either. You want something like Puppy, DSL or TinyCore Linux.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 04:10:45 am »

Glad to report the Nvidia issue has been solved.  Loaded the package via gslapt and then logged into text mode and ran vasm, installed the video correctly, no problem.   Looking good so far.  Nice to have the whole customised bits in the main repo when this goes gold, probably run IceWM using standard/delux then :-) 
finaldata

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:39 am »

I'm burning the iso right now... i'm installing it on a compaq armada m300 - 64mb ram, p3 600 CPU, 12GB HDD, broken LCD (hahahah!), DELL USB 1450 Wifi card...

Any thoughts?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:48 am »

Light Final is released. Use that one instead of the Beta.

With 64 MB of RAM, you may want to use JWM instead of IceWM, and not use Pcmanfm to manage the desktop. Unchecking the "icewm" package during install will make it so.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: