VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 04:02:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B3 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 18447 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: March 08, 2009, 06:03:17 am »

Please post your experiences with Light Beta 3 here.

Thank you all for your time and effort.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:11:56 pm »

Looking really good. I cannot find any major bugs.

The weirdest thing was trying to launch gslapt from the menu. It didn't work first time, so I logged into a terminal as root and it worked, so closed it. Then I launched again from the menu and it worked. I closed gslapt but noted in my process list the first gslapt process which did not appear onscreen was still there. Anyone else notice this weirdness?

The IceWM theme is great but the difference between medium grey and dark grey in the menu is not really distinctive enough to show the highlighted application properly.

The following applications all throw errors when trying to launch their Help menu items: pathetic writer, siag, xedplus, xarchiver, gqview, mtpaint, gvu, xine...This has always been a problem with these lighterweight apps and it might be too difficult to worry about now, but though I would mention it.

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:25:20 am »

Hosted iso install went smooth. Wow, what a beautiful background.

Put music CD in drive, click on CD icon and xmms pops up and starts playing.

Dillo shows no black pages.

Opera is huge, cannot grab corners. Changed the theme to make opera smaller.
Succeeded and the keyboard & mouse froze.Huh Sad

Will test more later.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:27:53 am by Pita » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:05:51 am »

Larry, I think the gslapt issue is gksu related. To avoid huge gnome dependencies I used an older version. This seems to work fine as long as root doesn't try to call it. I updated the root menu generator and the custom wicd-client launcer to work around it.

Other changes that came up shortly after publishing the ISO: Added some cdtool symlinks which were missing. Added a 10 sec delay to the explorer_cd script so that if the user launches it immediately after inserting a disc, the drive gets a chance to settle down before trying to access it.

These updates can be applied by installing this package:
http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vl6lb3update-1.0-noarch-1vl60.tlz

Edit - New package with more fixes:
http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vl6lb3update-1.0-noarch-2vl60.tlz

After installing update, please log in as root, run "Update Menu" and select "Start from scratch". Then try launching gslapt and wicd-client from the menu.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:22:05 am by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:08:26 am »

Pita: For your Opera issue, can you hold down the left Alt button, then left-click and drag the Opera window so that you expose the corners?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:52 am »

The following applications all throw errors when trying to launch their Help menu items: pathetic writer, siag, xedplus, xarchiver, gqview, mtpaint, gvu, xine...This has always been a problem with these lighterweight apps and it might be too difficult to worry about now, but though I would mention it.

I'm glad you did mention it. I traced some problems down to fixable errors in the packages. Xarchiver seems to be looking for pieces which I could only find mention of in a "debianutils" .deb package file. Some selective extraction got it to the point where help will launch when you run xarchiver from a terminal prompt rather than the menu entry.

I added these fixes to the original update package, taking us to cumulative update 1v2:
http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vl6lb3update-1.0-noarch-2vl60.tlz
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »

Pita: For your Opera issue, can you hold down the left Alt button, then left-click and drag the Opera window so that you expose the corners?

I know that and you told me before, however, it does not work in this case with opera and VL-Light.
I can shade opera and still cannot move it. Only when I select another theme and then shade opera can I move it and make it smaller because I now can grab the corners.
My monitor is a Philips 19" LCD.

I just changed from fluxbox to icewm in my present VL-6 box which ancester is VL-LIGHT-A14.
And there is the exactly the same problem. Opera opens filling the entire screen and can't be moved. I have to find out in which theme I can move it when I have the time. In VL-LIGHT-B3 it was the yellowmotif. Does not work in my box now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:43:47 pm by Pita » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:01:34 pm »

Opera is a problem this time around, because it won't let me pre-configure it. Looks like they added code to force you to agree to the EULA first time a user opens it.

It seems to default to a maximized window. Double-clicking the titlebar restores it, but the "restored" size is same as maximized, so you don't see any change. However, the difference is that now the window can be moved. Some times it takes me a few times of double-clicking the title bar until I hit upon the "restored" state so I can move it. Have you tried this?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

Opera is a problem this time around, because it won't let me pre-configure it. Looks like they added code to force you to agree to the EULA first time a user opens it.

It seems to default to a maximized window. Double-clicking the titlebar restores it, but the "restored" size is same as maximized, so you don't see any change. However, the difference is that now the window can be moved. Some times it takes me a few times of double-clicking the title bar until I hit upon the "restored" state so I can move it. Have you tried this?

I was able to have mine cut to size as explained be changing the theme. BTW in my working box it needed win95 to achieve it. Now when I double click the title bar it maximizes and can't be moved as you say hitting restore it goes back to my size.

It seems this problem is only in icewm. May be the ice freezes it Tongue

I will now reboot and see if the size holds, logging out and back in does. Will check as well on jwm.

Rebooted and the resize holds.

skype is working.

In jwm mplayer will not fully open and still freezes mouse as discussed before which seems unique to my setup.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:56:12 pm by Pita » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:15:25 am »

The main problem I had with B2 was Gspapt freezing when adding multiple items, this is now working fine :-)  Though the repro still has some issues, such as Nvidia. 
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 04:08:41 am »

Lyn:  I'm a repo maintainer.  If you don't spell out the issues nothing can be fixed.  What is the problem with the NVidia drivers?  What other problems have you seen?

nightflier:  I'll have a new SIAG package to correct the help issue shortly.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:43 am »

Sorry Caitlyn, was rushing I should have said I will give a fuller report tonight when I have more time... its a dependency issue, will do the report properly.  Think I will reinstall and then do some installation as there has been a major revision of the repositories and its only fair that I do this based on where we are now.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »

Toooo bad again I can't configure my printer. Huh

What could be the problem? In one test release I can configure in the next now not. In cups add printer in Device usb:unknown is again not there.

I booted now with the printer switched on and it did not change.

My printer is an Epson LQ300 24 pin impact printer connected to an USB port with an adapter cable, parallel to USB.

Now I did rc.cups stop then start just to see if anything happens. Opened localhost:631/admin with opera typed the name of the printer click continue and the system froze. Cry

This is now the second freeze in B3 working with opera. That scares me. On reboot then it got stuck on loading modules, next reboot attempt succeeded.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:01:06 pm by Pita » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:07 pm »

Hi
Installed VL-Light-bata3 today to the p3-600 w/256meg on 10gig. no swap @ 1024x768

wow...nice work...vector quality speed and simplicity in a bata

cheers

notes

vasm auto detected modem,  I added account (thanks for the dialer), now online
modem is isa internal serial w/rockwell chipset

vasm auto detected the second optical drive..required root login to add to /etc/fstab  and rename /mnt/cdrecorder>/mnt/cdwriter..now mountable via explore-cd icon....added a dvd temp to test and watched a couple of commercial  music videos from a concert no issues

added  icons to desktop as per excellent welcome notes

added gnuchess-5.07-i486-3.tlz package (on hand) via su installpkg.. auto added game item to menu with update menu..I lost the match

test media plays fine in gqview, xpdf,  xmms, xine and mplayer...nice skin

gqview edits with mtpaint

screenshot with shutterbug

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/b3image.jpg

changed wallpaper via welcome notes

a master volume would be nice...not sure how to add a launcher for nice little mixer

vburn option single folder to cd-r...success

update gslapt with testing..download install audacity....installs and opens...

audacity issues will post to audacity thread when found

opera requires that you click the maximize button prior to alt drag or resize..kinda makes sence...when max no move when unmax size and move at will...but thought someone mentioned it while reading,

a larger start button would be nice..: )

will continue to play with this..post thanks

will pull a stick and try 128 megs ram at 800x600

edit: log in as tui and set monitor for 800x600crt...and rebooted with 128megs ram

same results with basic tests

thanks..hope it is of use

edit...not that any one cares but just added a classic 51/4 floppy to vll and added to fstab..some old docs on these floppys..opening nicely in the default text editor
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:38:26 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 01:29:27 am »

I noticed that the program look is present, however, not /usr/share/dict/words
where look is looking for words.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: