VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:09:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B3 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 18230 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:03:01 am »

@ overthere: Great feedback, you really put it through the paces. Very much appreciated. About volume control, do you have a "Sound Mixer" in the menu under "Multimedia"?

@ pita: I really wish I had some idea about what makes your printer work or not. If you figure it out, be sure to let us know. With reference to the "look" command, you're right; it looks for words as in an obscure package named "words". I found one for Fedora which should work, as it is basically just one big text file. Stay tuned.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:42 pm »

@ overthere: Great feedback, you really put it through the paces. Very much appreciated. About volume control, do you have a "Sound Mixer" in the menu under "Multimedia"?

@ pita: I really wish I had some idea about what makes your printer work or not. If you figure it out, be sure to let us know. With reference to the "look" command, you're right; it looks for words as in an obscure package named "words". I found one for Fedora which should work, as it is basically just one big text file. Stay tuned.

Will try to figure what makes my printer work or not. For one thing copying the working /etc/cups from one box to the other usually works. Which is naturally not the right way a newcomer could do.

Look is looking in /usr/share/dict/words. It is right there in slackware since times immemorial.
One needs only to enter the first letters of  a word and it rattles down all the rest.
I just copied it into the B3 test box.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 03:08:02 pm »

well I try hard but usually not very helpfull...anyway

when I was testing the players I opened xine first and played several files then opened mplayer and did the same..later I clicked files in the file manager and they opened with xine...today when I clicked xine in the menu it opened and then disappeared..reboot same..still playes files fine via file manager..this is the terminal responce

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  2132
  Current serial number in output stream:  2133

I have not had the error with 5.9 which was on the box prior to vl6s so thought it may be an issue related to the xine skin for mplayer..like that helps..thought someone may have an old box and experienced the same

cheers

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 03:18:17 pm »

Your efforts helpful. With the low exposure that VL Light gets, we don't receive much feedback. So please keep the reports coming.

I believe mplayer can be finicky with skins, window managers and X drivers. If you could try right-clicking the mplayer window, select "Skin browser" and try the other skin, that may cause a change. There are also more skins available for download here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 03:20:23 pm »

Another update: http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vl6lb3update-2.0-noarch-1vl60.tlz

This is not a continuation of the first cumulative update. I'm experimenting with a sort of "service pack". This one does some version checking, makes backups and gives the user more feedback and options. The changes included are not that many, but I am interested to hear what you think of this delivery mechanism.

Update highlights:
- New menu when you execute the "CD/DVD" launcher on your desktop, giving you some options to choose from.
- The "Play DVD" and "Play Audio CD" entries on the default multimedia menu have been replaced with a single "CD/DVD" icon.
- Help for apps like gqview and xarchiver should now work.
- On first launch of IceWM as root you are now given the option of updating the search database
- Added a "deep search" option to the menu updater. This in response to testing KDE4, and finding that the sheer number of applications overwhelmed the simple menu structure of Light. Leaving this new option unchecked keeps these entries off the menu.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:56:16 pm by nightflier » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »

There are new packages for gqview (built by kc1di) and siag (built by myself) in the testing repo.  Both correct the reported problems with the help menu.  Help now works correctly.  I'm running the repo maintenance scripts right now.  They should show up in gslapt and on the various repo mirror servers shortly.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 07:14:42 pm »

thanks...yes I changed the mplayer skin to alternate ( did not add others but do have some )..it was the same even after reboot...all I added was gnu chess and audacity..uninstalled audacity but same...

I like the new mplayer skin..it add some functionality and I am ok with the issue but xine would be better on a faster box as it still offers function not in mplayer..like show controls and couple of others...

mplayer is better in that it adds command line extractions...which I used to create test media on 5.9

xine still plays the vid clips in home but dissappears after play

at first I thought this may be a function but no toggle was found and it should stay open when clicked from menu

the term errors mention resource..this is a low end box with 5 or 6 gig free and 256 meg ram the old swap drive failed so I removed it and installed with no swap as test...could reinstall with swap and see if it is solved

cheers

@caitlyn...I allowed the office to install with bata3...I updated then added all fonts one at a time from the repository (via gslapt)..I am not getting results...do I have to also add them to a font path? or something....stardict although it works well with the light notepads does not work correctly with PW...not sure if the fonts are related...I did get one font...courier I think...sorry ...to bold and italic and it looked different than the default....packages are in the ftp and the install posted success...was this addressed in the new package you mention? if so I will try it...would I need to reinstall the fonts after a reinstall of siag should this be the case...thanks for any

cheers

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »

No, there is nothing to do with the fonts other than installing them.   I have to assume you missed some because it works perfectly for me, as did the previous version other than the help issue.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:26 pm »

well I will solve MY problem by not adding it as I think it is an option and I am reinstalling when I finish posting....glad it works for you..siag is a classic office suit and is often overlooked..I mentioned useing it befor on a lite distro..dali I think...but it is not like I remember and is not needed here

cheers

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 05:08:29 pm »

reinstalled less siag office...updated gslapt and added osmo with spell checked notes and font options then added stardict which works well with osmo and geany additions...osmo and stardict work well from tray

xine and mplayer are as they should be..not sure what caused xine to vanish

added, gnuchess, xmahjongg and wine1116 to play backgammon..all work fine

only oddity during the once over was that gslapt would not open second time but reboot seems to have solved

looking very nice...thanks

cheers
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:11:19 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »

http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vl6lb3update-2.0-noarch-1vl60.tlz

I made this update and now my printer is working since the Device usb://unknown was now there in the Device window of cups.  Grin

Dillo is showing black pages and therefore of not much use. It has something to do with the settings in dillorc.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 01:23:15 am »

Sorry for the delay, real life got in the way :-)

When I try to install the nVidia package I get the following message with Gslapt
vlnvidia: Depends:   vxconf >= 5.9
If I ignore then I can't install. 

Apeman

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 07:21:17 am »

Hi, It seems there is still problem with changing default windows manager in VASM for root, for other users it works.

When I choose JWM as a default window manager in VASM, startx still runs IceWM.
I looked into /sbin/vxwmset and in /etc/X11/xinit but I didn't notice any problem.

I can copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.jwm to /root/.xinitrc to force JWM to start but this isn't the proper way how to fix this problem.

I'm glad there is XFM in VL60 Light B3, it is a good and lightweight file manager. I use it instead of more resource hungry pcmanfm.

Toshiba Libretto 100CT @233MHz, 32 MB RAM
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:35 pm »

You're right, there is a bug in there somewhere. I don't see it right off the bat, and suspect it will be lumped in with a number of other "legacy scripts" that are in need of updating. This is not on the roadmap for the immediate future. Maybe I'll include your workaround in the welcome document as a "known issue". Thanks again for testing.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 05:55:02 pm »

Innstalled VL6.0-Light B3 on my trusty IBM TP 240 (Celeron 400mhz/320mb RAM).

Left off Siag Office, added Abiwird and Gnumeric. Added Firestarter.....

So far I have tried Firefox, Abiword, Gnumeric, XMMS, aumix, Wicd, Pidgin, Xpdf and both IceWM and JWM WM's. Wireless is through a Netgear WG511T (Atheros).

The only minor anoyance is a scratchy sound coming through the laptop speaker when I open a program.

How do I silence the 'initiating startup/shut down sequence'.....?

All in all, 6.0 Light B3 works on this old, resource challanged laptop just fine.....!

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: