VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 05:19:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to install Nessus ? [self-SOLVED]  (Read 1838 times)
AMAMH

« on: March 08, 2009, 08:18:10 am »

Is there any way to install Nessus on Vector Linux 6.0 ?
and if there aren't, are there other vulnerability checkers that are as good as Nessus, or that can use Nessus plugins to do the same job ?
Thanks in advance, I love Vector Linux anyway.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:35:07 am by AMAMH » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:05:47 am »

There is no VL specific package for Nessus, but the Slackware packages at www.linuxpackages.net should work. Donwload it, open up a terminal, login as root, type "installpkg nameofpackage".

However, are you using your VL machine as a server? Because that is really what Nessus is for: continual network monitoring. If you are just using VL on a home workstation I really do think it unnecessary, especially if you are behind a router. Just use firestarter to enable a firewall instead.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »

There are a lot of questionable packages on linuxpackages.net.  If slacky.eu has it or if there is a build script at slackbuilds.org I tend to prefer those sources.  You can also post a package request in the Package Requests section of the forum.  We have more volunteer packagers than ever and requests are getting done, often very quickly.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
AMAMH

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:38:46 am »

linuxpackages.net provided Version 2.2.2a and slacky.edu has Version 2.2.11
that dosn't help because I can download 2.2.11 from Nessus website and compile it, but this is not my problem
the problem is that Nessus website doesn't provide the source for the new version 3.2.1, it only provides precompiled binaries for Ubuntu, openSUSE, etc.
is there any way to use one of those packages on Vector?
I will try googling for something like "installing deb packs on slackware"
Thanks for ur replies.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:48:12 am by AMAMH » Logged
AMAMH

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:34:06 am »

Good news :

I was able to install it from deb pack (although there are some problems) but NessusClient needed libqt4 to run, I found it in gslapt but it's too large.
I tried to use OpenVAS client with Nessus (I did that with Ubuntu before) but I was unsuccessful, anyway, I thought I will try OpenVAS itself.
I found that it actually uses Nessus plugins, I downloaded it, and now I'm updating it with the latest Nessus plugins using the script that came with it "openvas-nvt-sync"

so far that's what I could do, I think the problem is now solved.
Thanks all for ur replies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: