VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:10:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6 "no screen found"  (Read 1203 times)
peitz

« on: March 03, 2009, 03:36:46 pm »

Hi,

VL 5.9 ran perfectly on my old TP 1300i.
VL 6.0 will install. . . through the textmode install. . .trying to install thorugh GUI mode or attempting to setup X results in a black screen and reboot.
I've entered textmode and manually started X, and the log file says that there is no screen. . .and there is no x11 folder under /etc.
This is a very old laptop, and maxes out at 800x600x24.
Anyone else seen (er, I guess not seen) this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

I have seen this problem. The video card configuration failed.

After getting to a prompt login as root and then use VASM to setup
video again using the vesa driver.

That should at least get you started.

Bigpaws
peitz

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:26:12 pm »

Thanks for the quick response, bigpaws!

I should have mentioned. . .I tried all the available options. . including the default VESA and FB configs after booting to init2 and running VASM.

Nothing actually worked - always the same result. . .no X, and a blank screen.  Even tried editing the xorg.conf after booting to knoppix. ..no luck.

When booting to text mode, I can't even see the X11 folder or xorg.conf!  Even though I can see them when looking at the file system through Knoppix.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:42 pm »

You can try a dirty hack.

Boot knoppix and cp the /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then boot to Vector and copy it to the proper
directory.

Then reboot, it's a shot at least.

Bigpaws
TLM

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:52 am »

This happened to me just yesterday on a much newer machine. Also the new installer on VL 6.0 crashed and after it warned me that my screen might blink, my screen actually went into standby mode and would not come out. There was also no indications of hard drive or cdrom activity. This happened 3 times. I then tried the old installer by typing "linux" and the install was successful up to the point of trying to configure X, and I too got the "no screens found" error. I done a reinstall and during the hardware probe when it inquired if I would like to modify the X configuration (something to that effect) I chose yes, whereas I had chosen no the previous install. I pretty much followed the prompts and everything went well. Also, I went with the standard splash, although the nicer one worked well with VL 5.9 on the same machine. After these changes, everything went well and VL 6 is up and running. I like 5.9 SOHO Deluxe better tho  Smiley By the way my graphics card is an EVGA FX 5200.

Particle board should be outlawed.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:35:25 pm »

@TLM: KDE 3.5.10 is available in the repos if it's the desktop you like better on the older SOHO version.  KDE 4.2 is part of VL 6.0 Deluxe and will be in the repos shortly.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: