VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 02:53:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Triple Boot: How to keep it simple?  (Read 1007 times)
TLM

« on: March 08, 2009, 10:21:07 am »

Hi,
I am getting ready to put VL, Win XP, and Win 7 (BETA) on one hard drive. I am installing the two Windows onto separate partitions. I am considering 2 options for boot managing.

First, I could just let LILO try to detect and configure everything. I will be installing XP, then Win 7, and lastly Vector Linux. Has anyone done this sucessfully without a lot of manual LILO tweaking?

My second option would be to leave the Windows boot manager intact, and boot Vector with a floppy or the install CD. I would prefer using a floppy if I go this route.

Any suggestions? Maybe other options I have overlooked? Thanks for any and all input!

Particle board should be outlawed.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:13:10 am »

I've done something similar with Vista, Win7 beta, mint6-64rc1, and VL6rc4. The mint grub loader detected all the OSs and on rerunning liloconf in VL it detected all the OSs so you could probably get lilo to work with no extra tweaking. A difference may be that I have two HD's on my laptop but the BIOS only allows booting from the primary SATA slot. Also there is a utility that will allow you to use the Windows bootloader for other OSs. There is one for XP and a different one for Vista but not sure about Windows 7. (Since you are loading W7 after XP then the W7 bootloader will "take over".)

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »

My second option would be to leave the Windows boot manager intact, and boot Vector with a floppy or the install CD. I would prefer using a floppy if I go this route.

So I guess you have a floppy drive. They're getting rare these days.

Booting from a floppy works fine. Only one of my computers has a floppy drive. It's the one I use for beta testing upcoming VLs until they get far enough along that I can trust the VL being tested for my other computers. When I install a new beta or RC version I always put LILO on a floppy and boot with that when I want to run the version I'm testing. It also shows me whether it'll detect other operating systems without finagling.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: