VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 12:09:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 090310 obconf-2.0.3 [VL 6.0]  (Read 683 times)
caitlyn
Vectorian

« on: March 08, 2009, 10:13:58 pm »

lm8 has packaged obconf, a configuration tool for the Openbox window manager, for VL 6.0.  obconf can be used with Openbox run as a stand-alone window manager or as part of the LXDE desktop environment.

Package:  obconf-2.0.3-i586-1vl60.tlz
MD5:  083a9170765fbd58b6ca8acf1bcfda10
Package Size:   79K
Installed Size: 570K

Sources:  http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/source/testing/x-apps/obconf

Code:
obconf: obconf (Openbox configuration manager)
obconf:
obconf: This tool lets you configure the look and feel of the Openbox window
obconf: manager.  There are options for setting theme, appearance, fonts,
obconf: dock preferences and more.
obconf:
obconf:
obconf: License: GPL 2
obconf: Authors: Dana Jansens, Tim Riley, Javeed Shaikh, et al
obconf: Website: http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/ObConf:About

After testing this package please stop back at this thread and let us know how it works for you.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:46:51 pm »

Hi
I added this via gslapt and it installed and added an item on the menu...

opened and changed theme, dock location..still more to play with...thanks..use gqview for ob wallpaper setting..not sure how one edits or adds to the ob right click menu..thanks

cheers

Everything Is Relative
lm8
Packager

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:15:24 am »

Obconf doesn't help with changing the Openbox menus.  I noticed that myself.  It does give you a nice way to select the theme/fonts/etc. if you find what you get out of the box hard to read or look at. 

I have seen some tools, usually written in an interpreted language like python, for setting up menus in Openbox (and other window managers).  Openbox's settings files are all in XML, so personally, I prefer to open in a text editor and edit menus and keymappings by hand.  It's stricter in syntax than editing Fluxbox files by hand in an editor, but still can be done.  You'll find the files under .config/openbox in your home directory.  My personal preference it to edit XML by hand rather than using a program to generate, but that's just my preference.  As mentioned, there are tools to do it the other way.  You can probably check the Openbox site or Sourceforge for them if you're interested in finding them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: