VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:01:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Hot mounting & LXDE [SOLVED]  (Read 1280 times)
Dani Filth

« on: March 11, 2009, 11:09:38 pm »

Hello folks,

I'm new to Vector (but I do have some experience with other distros, though). I've installed VectorLinux Standard 6.0 on my laptop (Fujitsu S2020 Series, 4+ years old) and I kinda like it. I installed both XFCE & LXDE because in the first installation I tried to install only LXDE and unchecked XFCE thus it caused the system malfunctioned (X didn't work, some weird error messages etc). Plus, when I plugged in an external HDD/thumbdrive (I chose VL-HOT for mounting), both VL-HOT & unmount VL-HOT icons appeared on the screen, but when I double clicked on the VL-HOT icon, it acted like execute file/application and said something like "cannot execute" rather than an external HDD has been mounted and never opened a new window for me. However, this same HDD/thumbdrive is mounted and works just fine when I switch to XFCE.

So, is there a way to get this solved in LXDE?
And is there a way to have only LXDE on my laptop instead of having both XFCE & LXDE as well?

Thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:03:23 am by Dani Filth » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:54:54 am »

@ Dani,  Your vl-hot issue is because pcmanfm handles the icons that pop up on your desktop differently from how XFCE does it. Work is in progress to address the issue. In the mean time, if you'd like an unofficial hack for it, send me a PM.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:27 am »

In LXDE when you open the file manager with the uppermost left icon on the desktop and with your external drive connected do you not see it in the leftmost panel of the file manager?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14:04 am »

In LXDE when you open the file manager with the uppermost left icon on the desktop and with your external drive connected do you not see it in the leftmost panel of the file manager?

That is when using HAL instead of vl-hot, I believe.
Dani Filth

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »

Thanks nightflier & lagagnon  Grin

I don't mind waiting for the official bug fix as I still can switch to XFCE to deal with this, but in the mean time, is there a way to mount external HDD/thumbdrive in LXDE other than having to "mount /dev/sdbx" to a temporary folder? Doing this in CLI is quite inconvenient.

Cheers
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:33:13 pm »

Your thumb drive does get mounted by vl-hot no matter what desktop environment you use. It doesn't even need X-windows. Navigate to /mnt/vl-hot and you will see it there.
Dani Filth

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:05 am »

Thank you very much nightflier  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: